308 GT4 Clock Set Time Knob Repair (Veglia 24 3003) | FerrariChat

308 GT4 Clock Set Time Knob Repair (Veglia 24 3003)

Discussion in '308/328' started by alhbln, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #1 alhbln, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The knob to set the time on my EU Series 1 GT4 clock (Veglia 24 3003) did not work anymore and the minute hand was stuck, so i had a look if it can be repaired. From the Veglia clocks i've worked on so far, either the plastic axle of the large cog below the 0500 position or the small cog on the set knob axle was broken. As an easy check, if the set knob button does not work and the minute hand won't move anymore then the axle of the large cog is broken. If the minute hand still works then the small cog on the set knob axle is gone.

If you are lucky, the plastic axle of the large cog is broken and the small cog on the knob axle is still ok, as the broken axle can be replaced relatively easily. Remove the internals from the housing, gently remove the hands by pulling them upwards, then remove the set knob.
    Remove the dial, and the upper plastic assembly of the clock which is held in place by three black screws. Drill a 1.5mm hole where the old broken axle was and press fit in a new 1.5 mm steel or brass axle with a length of 6.4mm. (The factory axle has a diameter of 1.4mm but i had a hard time to find 1.4mm steel or brass wire so went with 1.5mm)
    Take care that the lower end of the new axle sits flush with the impression on the bottom side of the top plastic assembly so it won't interfere with the two small cogs there. Extend the axle hole of the large cog from 1.4 mm to 1.55-1.6 mm and reassemble everything.

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but the Fiat 124 Veglia Quarzo clock (part number 24 3012) is a direct plug and play replacement for the GT4 clock. Both clocks are nearly identical (except some components on the PCB and the front bezel), and the GT4s dial/hands/set knob/bezel/glass can be directly transferred to the Veglia Fiat 124 clock. See photo below of the Fiat 124 clock (left) and GT4 clock (right).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vidkidruss

vidkidruss Rookie

Jul 13, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Russell Harris
    Thanks Adrian! What a timely post. I've discovered that the clock on my GT4 is not working and this write-up will make diagnosing the problem much easier!
    Thanks again.
    Russell

3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Mods please sticky this post.

4. vidkidruss

vidkidruss Rookie

Jul 13, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Russell Harris
    Hi Adrian,
    Was there a good GT4 dash removal how-to thread you used for getting to the clock. I've read I'll have to drop the steering column to get the dash out. Just wanted to verify the process.
    Thanks,
    Russell

5. vidkidruss

vidkidruss Rookie

Jul 13, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Russell Harris
  6. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
    Any ideas where to get a new set knob from my clock is missing this part?

7. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    What i did was to first remove the screws from the front instrument panel, then pull the instrument panel a bit forward. Put a towel on top of the steering wheel column first to avoid damaging any of the instruments. Take extra care not to bend the clocks set knob axle in the process.

Then i removed the Speedo by first removing the two lock nuts by hand from below (bit tight but it worked for me), then pulled out the Speedo to the side and removed the AMP connector for the wiring and the knob/wire for resetting the ODO.
    You then have access to the clock via the Speedo hole in the dashboard and can easily remove and reinstall it.

8. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Hi All,
    can anyone advise on the removal of the clock adjustment knob, please? I have a complete replacement clock, but removal of the adjustment knob is proving difficult! I would just swap the clocks over, but the lens on the replacement clock is quite foggy, compared to the one currently in the car.
    BR,
    Jez

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I usually grasp the shaft just under the knob with wire cutters to get a good grip. Then pull the knob straight off.
    Only once did I have to warm the shaft with a soldering pencil then use the above for a very stubborn one.

10. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Thanks Robert , i will give that a go. It looked quite delicate, so thought it wise to ask before using any force!!
    Do you know of anyone that is still refurbing these types of instruments? I can see by searching that there used to be someone a number of years ago that refurbished these clocks, but havent seen any recent posts .....
    BR,
    Jez

11. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ummm I've been known to repair some of these. I created the glass crystal replacement. I usually have a spare clock around for rehabbing. Pm me for details
    Also Palo Alto Speedometers in Ca do a great job

12. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #12 2281GT, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Has anyone a Knob (only the knob, not the shaft) to offer or is able to produce (3d-print , CAD/CAM or so) one. I need one. Thank you for any efforts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. AhmedfromCape

AhmedfromCape Rookie

Aug 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ahmed Banderker
    Hi, Were you able to find a 3D print drawing for this knob?

14. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I bought the nickel steel version and used silicone sealant to attach it.
    You may have to drill a larger hole for the metal adjuster rod to fit in.
    Bought two of them in 2018.

15. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I bought a few of them two.