Red wine | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Red wine

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by schwoo, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    82 LaFleur?!?

wozers...I've had the Big 8 from 82 a few times each, but never got to sample a bottle of the LaFleur. Heard its perhaps the best ever from that estate. You could have sold/traded that to try any 2 of the firsts most likely!

All of my 82's are long gone. Last was a "bargain" purchased case of Leoville Poyferre. Great value from that vintage. Bob was dead on about 82 of course. (not to go down the Bob's palate rabbit hole).

2. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    baby killer! :D:p

...not the 99 Latour of course, that was a good "qpr first growth" (back when there was such a thing)

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  3. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #228 arizonaitalian, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    that's so cool to see. I skipped over 97 entirely back when I had an EP addiction problem (had to give the wallet a year off here and there). I'm sure I tasted them at some event/tasting back then, but have not followed the vintage. How were they? Any notes you care to share?

4. Camelot

Camelot Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2013
    down South
    at the end of the night, all I can remember they were all fantastic first growth ;)

arizonaitalian likes this.
  5. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
  6. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Had this 2015 Vineyard House tonight.

Beautiful ruby/purple color with very pronounced nose and palate.

Nice complexity with primary, secondary, and tertiary aromas and flavors.

Mostly black fruit to include black currant, black cherry and black plum.

Some oaky flavors to include chocolate and tertiary flavors of leather and dried fruit.

High tannin, high acid wine with full body.

Very delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Camelot, F12finally and Scudmsl like this.
  7. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    Great place to visit also. Let me know if you come to Napa. Vineyard House.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  8. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Hoping to go this year, depending on Covid! Can’t wait.

9. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Dave. Too funny the Leoville Poyferre was one of the wines we also ordered. I think we bought futures in Rouget, LaFleur, Leo Poy, Lynch Bages, Leo L.C., Ponet Canet, Ducru, and either Cantemerle or something else long ago consumed. My friend Paul, a Brit from Coventry had more patience ( and more money and wine at that time) was my good friend who selected the shared wines. His 82s lasted a lot longer than mine.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  10. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Pia7a2020:

Are you happy with your Coravin? Does it work as promised? I’ve heard missed reviews...some love them, others don’t.

Alan
    N.J.

flash32 and dustman like this.
  11. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I think it’s overpriced but if it helps me keep an expensive bottle for an extended period of time, then it’s worth the price. Sometimes I like to open a high end wine for just a glass or two to celebrate an occasion.

12. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg

13. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Opened a bottle of Thread Count tonight. It’s a Wagner Family wine that I was told was akin to Caymus. It was not, and sometimes I wonder why I drink anything else. I would say it was alright by itself and better with food. I don’t know if I would buy it again though. ‍Great night regardless and probably because Caymus was opened afterwards.

14. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
  15. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    ^^^ The 2007 Napa vintage was terrific.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  16. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    So I'm ready to confront the last chapter of what has been a somewhat tragic story, both in regards to how I came upon these bottles and the condition they were in.

Without getting too much into it, I was given a batch of bottles of incredible wine several years ago, unfortunately for the few years that preceded them coming into my possession, they were poorly stored in a tropical climate. They sat there in damp, hot, and humid conditions for several years.

At first I started opening them when I would go out to dinner with great friends and toast the person that left them behind for me. I would always take two bottles with me, one from this batch and one from my own collection, this because it was always a low probability that the ones from this batch would still be good, in fact I would estimate that maybe one out every five or six bottle would be drinkable. When they were, they were some of the greatest wines I've ever drank, but when they were not it was so depressing. Over the years bottles that were irreplaceable and worth thousands each literally had to be opened and poured down the drain. It would turn what could potentially be an epic experience into a great let down, not only for me and my friends but also for the sommelier who, never having seen some of the bottles before, sometimes would be at the brink of tears.

Anyway, I don't want to make too much of it, but I stopped doing it after a while. With only a few bottles of what were around one hundred are left, I had resigned myself that they were no good (in fact you can clearly see some leakage in some) so I just kept them for nostalgia.

Lately I've reconsidered that approach ... I just don't like staring at them any more and the lack of closure, and it's not that like either they or I will improve with age. With few opportunities for socializing, I just cleaned them with a damp cloth, and with the helpful suggestion and subsequent purchase of the Coravin, I have decided to just open them one by one over the next few weeks, enjoy the heck out of the ones which are still good and put the bad ones behind me. Just me by myself without involving anyone else.

Here's what's left ... I should note that I'm not opening a 1924 Chateau d'Yquem, although my guess is that it has turned I just don't have the heart to do it, but I also don't know what to do with it, plus I'm not a fan of sweet wine.

I think have some pics somewhere of the original collection, I'll post them if I can find them.

I'm actually excited to do this ... if one or two of the bottles are still good I will be over the moon with happiness, I am however prepared for the likelihood that none of them have survived.

17. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Here's a few pics from when they got to me ... and yes, all that's left of all that is what I posted above.

Ugh, I'm now depressed again thinking how much of all that was undrinkable. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wax, SCFerrari, Camelot and 1 other person like this.
  18. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Don’t be discouraged about the 1924 d’yquem...many bottles turn darker but are not bad!..Good vintage, you had a wonderful selection !

soulsea likes this.
  19. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Amazing collection you have there and sorry to hear so many bottles went bad. I tried some awesome stuff last night and thought I’d share. I started with 2010 E. Guigal La Turque- this was quite good with nice acidity, minerality, spices and a bit of fruit. Really well done. Next was 2010 Mouton Rothschild. On its own it’s next-level from typical modern Bordeaux. Then I tried 1989 Haut-Brion, which was on an entirely different level from the Mouton, though I’d imagine giving the Mouton another 20 years would close the gap quite a bit. 1989 HB was not overrated. Truly incredible especially seeing how much better it was than the 2010 Mouton. Finished up with 1996 d’Yquem, which I loved. Much prefer it over Port and it’s more practical given you can use coravin and drink it for longer.

soulsea, Pis7a2020 and tomc like this.
  20. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Dear Serge. Thank you for sharing your story and the photos of all the magnificent bottles. The ullage on some of the bottles is pretty good given the age. Sante. Keith

21. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    #246 soulsea, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Guys I need your help.

I’m thinking that the Coravin isn’t the way to go with these bottles and that I’m better off decanting them and give them a couple of hours before trying them.

In the past when opening one at the restaurant it would go one of three ways. Some would be done right off the bat, some were teetering and came back after an hour or so, and a few were great soon after decanting.

So i don’t see the benefit of the Coravin with these, also because if history is any guide the chances of me managing to open them without the cork breaking apart and half of it going in the bottle are slim to none ...but maybe I’m missing something, but unless you guys tell me otherwise I will decant one now, let it sit for a while, and if it’s good I’ll just drink the whole bottle throughout the evening.

22. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    The reason I got one, is because typically I would not have an entire bottle in one sitting. This allows me to have a glass and save the bottle until I am ready to drink from it again. The vacuum systems only preserves the wine for a week maybe two. The Coravin can extend the wine for over a year easily.

If you are decanting an entire bottle at once, then there is no need for a Coravin as the entire bottle must be drank that day assuming you have enough folks drinking.

23. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Well, originally I was hoping to drink each bottle slowly over two three days, but then I remembered from experience that the only real chance any of them have is by them breathing for a long time. So the choice was Coravin without breathing or decant and have to drink the whole bottle in one evening. I figured the latter was the better choice between those two. :)

Accordingly, I started today with the below bottle ... out of curiosity I tried searching for it on the internet to see if it's even replaceable and couldn't find another for sale.

I opened it at 3pm, the first positive was that the top of the cork was dry. As expected the cork did break in two and the bottom part had to be pushed down into the bottle, but again good news in the fact that at the mid point of the cork was still dry. Poured it through the screen into the decanter, few tiny cork shavings made it through but nothing too bad. I left it sitting there with the decanter lid open to allow the air to flow in, and around 4pm I also poured a glass to let it breathe in there. Now it's 5pm and I started drinking it. This one made it!!! :)

It's still getting better by the sip so I'm going to nurse it slowly ... in fact I'm going to pour a second glass that I won't drink till later just to let it breathe even better. I'm sure some of you guys have had this wine before ... if you like big heavy Italian wines with nice legs then it doesn't get much better than this, it is a wonderful thing to taste, and a great way to kick off the last part of this journey. I'm not going to get cocky, this was one of the newer ones of the ones that are left, there's bound to be disappointment with the subsequent bottles, but not thinking about that now ... I just have a big grin on my face. :)

wax and Pis7a2020 like this.
  24. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019

Had this for the delicious Valentine’s dinner that my wife cooked up.

Beautiful deep purple/garnet color with very pronounced nose.

High acid and high tannin wine but I would say on the low end of the high spectrum. Very balanced with a medium-full body.

Aromas match the palate with black currant and black cherry.

Secondary flavors of oak and maybe a bit of chocolate. Nice leathery tertiary flavors as well with a bit dried fruit.

Nice medium to long finish.

We had this wine with Spanish style Ox tail with red wine reduction. Extremely flavorful and savory, almost to the point that it overpowered this wine. I would go with a single varietal Cabernet Sauvignon with this dish the next time to balance things out a bit.

SCFerrari, tomc and soulsea like this.
  25. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    Feel free to give us a play by play for each bottle you have a chance to. I would love to read that!

With respect to decanting, I was always under the impression that vintages over 20-25 years old should really only be opened prior to serving? Atleast thats what I have always done in practice. I would be interested in hearing what others have to say on this subject.

wax and soulsea like this.