Black wheel question | FerrariChat

Black wheel question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by romeof1, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    Hey everyone, new 458 spider owner here (car arriving soon) with 20 inch silver diamond forged rims on a black/black car. I noticed that many people have blacked our their wheels and that its not a factory option. What is the consensus on powder coating vs painting. Does powder coating weaken these wheels? Also, do most people go with glossy, matte, or something in between? I like the glossy look but never saw it in real life and dont know if itll be too shiny. Thank you all!

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ild powder coat unless you want to have a hyper shine and depth then you need to paint.

When i did another car of mine i used a a company that repairs rims.

Reason because they will also have all the machinery to put a tire on and balance. This way if they scratch it the onus is on them :)

BTW what are your calipers colour ?

3. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    Thanks. I dont want/need hypershine, but wanted to match this look. Are these wheels glossy or semi gloss or something else? Btw, my calipers are yellow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    They are full gloss. Painting gives a better gloss than powder coat.

Like i said find a rim repair place and see for your self which coating is more appropriate to you.

GT2goneF likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you have a gloss black car and want the wheels to match, it is simple. Paint is what you want. PPG has,a line of paint for wheels that can be matched to the paint of the car. If you have a gloss black car, don't do flat black wheels. You lose all aesthetics of the wheels. In general I think flat black is a shame to put on a nice wheel. The car just ends up with holes where the wheels used to be.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    You two are just too good for your own good. Agreed with everything said!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If I were you, I wouldn't paint the Diamond cut wheels! They are VERY hard to find in perfect condition, AND VERY expensive. Don't ask me how I know, lol.
    Keep those wheels (especially if they are pristine), and get another set of wheels and have them painted. You will be able to get a full set of 4 wheels painted for less money than ONE diamond cut wheel!
    I wanted to purchase one of the front wheels to replace a wheel on my car that was refinished, and didn't look right to me (the groove detail was lost, but most "normal" people wouldn't even see it). There was only 2 places IN THE WORLD that I found them (other than used ones, but none seemed to be perfect). One was a display wheel at my local Ferrari dealer and they wanted over $8K for it! The other was from Germany (they had 9 or 10 fronts and 5 or 6 rears) and I wound up having to pay $3,500 for it. Not a single common internet supplier had them, and Ferrari wasn't producing them anymore. I called a minimum of 12 places, and looked for a good used one for over 6 months. Those are the reasons that I say to hang on to your diamond cut wheels. However, if they have any curb rash, or have been previously repaired, then I guess I would just paint them.

romeof1 likes this.
  8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    1- don’t paint your factory wheels
    2- do gloss black aftermarket wheels... HRE, Forgeline, BBS, Anrky

GT2goneF likes this.
  9. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Or wrap them to see if you like the look long term. I powder coated mine on my Nero Daytona Cali that had red calipers and after a couple of months I wish I hadn’t. Too blacked out. The beauty of the wheels get lost in a smear of black. I won’t do it again. But, if you know you love it go for it. I like the alternate set idea too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

romeof1 likes this.
  10. 458cc

458cc Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Powder coating wheels will be more resistant to rock chips. If you have a good wheel refinishing company, they can achieve that gloss black look that you are looking for.

romeof1 likes this.
  11. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    "Egg-shell" - Ask your wife. It's between flat & semi gloss. If you don't want to spend your life on your knees cleaning wheels, powder coat black egg-shell. Actually that is kind of the natural powder coat finish. You might get a few extra Ooohs or Aaahs at car shows with silver or glossy black, but in my oh so humble opinion, if you want to drive the car, it ain't worth it.

romeof1 likes this.
  12. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    Thank you - why wouldnt you paint/powdercoat the factory rims? Too valuable?

13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I would not powder coat a forged wheel due to the heat process it takes to powder coat and that will change the hardness of the forging. Unless the powder coat shop know exactly what they are doing and can assure you they can powder coat at a low temperature.
    Also painting will give more gloss that powder coat...and then for resale..buyers usually prefer everything to match up to the placard in the front trunk.

GT2goneF likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Agree. Good powder coat is really hard to do. It can get close to paint, but that is rare. OZ and Forgeline have done some of the best powder coatings I have seen.
    If anything else, I would want paint.

More often than not, people who buy used want the original wheels. So it can hurt resale. This is why I also think it is important to keep the stock wheels if you go aftermarket.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF likes this.