OE BBS wheels | Page 2 | FerrariChat

OE BBS wheels

Discussion in '308/328' started by JC Andruet, Feb 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
  2. Spirit of Italy

Spirit of Italy Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Hans S
    GordonC and JC Andruet like this.
  3. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Stunning wheels, but we're going to need a proper image of the car showing those E50's Hans :D (and any information you have on the BBS/308 story ...)

4. Spirit of Italy

Spirit of Italy Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Hans S
    16" tires were introduced by Pirelli before Ferrari introduced their option 16" magnesium wheels late 1977. Those first years were open market for alternatives, a popular one being these BBS wheels through BBS Motorsport. These were delivered with magnesium centers and still are for race use.
    Wider tire option quickly evolved, 285/15 introduced in 76 for the Lamborghini Silhouette and more famously the Porsche 930 Turbo. Soon to be followed by the wider tire for the Countach.
    During the same time we have a well known name of Koenig making a name for himself in racing. But he wanted to do more. Late 70¨s he starts modifying all makes. As a builder, he would need TUV (government) approval for his mods, which brings us to the BBS wheels.
    In this time a series of E50 centers were produced in aluminium for road use. Whether this can be attributed solely to Koenig, I do not know. I learned only a week ago (after 2-3 yrs of searching for answers) from BBS Motorsport that E50 centers in aluminium were discontinued over 25 years ago. This lines up about the same time as the grand years of Koenig were coming to an end.
    I bought our 308 because it was sensible money, not red, drysump and looked different.... I would later find out it is one of the original first Koenig 308 kits, made available late 1979. Our BBS E50 centers are the original aluminium type, now being restored.
    Picture from the day I collected it in Kiel, Germany...... (yes, pictures of my car with coffin replica look wheels have been borrowed and shared on Fchat)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

GordonC likes this.
  5. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    More pictures with the car on E50's needed Hans :):)
    What sizes are they 8.5" fronts and 11" rears ?

6. Spirit of Italy

Spirit of Italy Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Hans S
    8 x 15 fronts 11 x 15 rears

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GordonC likes this.
  7. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I would imagine it is easier to find 15" tires like that than 16" due to the porsche people out there keeping them alive! i am almost considering 17" for my next set of wheels.

Spirit of Italy likes this.
  8. Spirit of Italy

Spirit of Italy Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Hans S
    And Lamborghini.... Chose to stay with 15" sizes to keep the car period looking and with Michelin and Pirelli remaking all the classic 15" sizes, easy choice.
    Not so much available in wide sizes in 16" for road use. Easier with 17", look at Diablo sizes, Corvette sizes.