I don't fly airplanes, but good grief, what a week. | FerrariChat

I don't fly airplanes, but good grief, what a week.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ricambi America, Feb 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

[/rant ON]

In 15+ years, I've seen a huge pile of shipping and logistics crap... but this week, Week #6, 2021 takes the cake.

Never have I seen such a clusterf%^k on the part of UPS, FedEx, and DHL across their complete networks. From Milan to Leipzig to London, to Cincinnati, to Memphis... not a single airplane has moved on schedule and not a single inbound/outbound customs clearance has gone smoothly. F-me.

I hate Amazon with the passion of a million burning suns, but the air shipping industry is absolutely ripe to be kicked in its teeth and I (kinda) hope somebody does it soon. Maybe they'll do it.

TGIF.

[/rant OFF]

2. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    I completely side with you on 110% of what you just said. Without fail, shipments I send out (or am receiving) inevitably incur a hiccup of disastrous proportions. Customs clearance for ANYTHING going overseas is a headache. Italy, to Germany, to the UK, to Wisconsin, to California? You can forget about giving any sort of realistic ETA.

USPS is a whole other galaxy when it comes to delay's and misinformation. The logistics and shipping world is currently a joke and I haven't even started talking about the pricing yet...

jm2 likes this.
  3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ugh. I did not need to hear this.

Placed a 499 GBP order from the UK. Just found out that DHL shipping to my location in the US is 138 GBP ($190).

And now I suspect I also will be dealing with inevitable delays. UGH. Will have to rethink this course of action in the future.

KEvin

4. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    i ordered a Malian exhaust for my TT a couple weeks ago from the UK.
    while the dhl shipping was 5$ less than the exhaust, it did arrive in a week, with no issues.

while that seems high, i was not impressed by the borla and magnaflow options available here, and the total was still less than either of those.
    i do read on my TT pages one of the big UK TT suppliers has cancelled all foreign shipments due to the shipping issues.

kes7u likes this.
  5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    When you consider that the airfreighers are running at near capacity for the last year, it's amazing that ANYTHING gets delivered even close to on time. Remember, a vast amount of freight used to travel in the belly of passenger aircraft that have been grounded for the last year. Companies like FedEx and UPS are at the maximum.

So don't blame the shippers. It's a result of COVID. My wife is currently on a six day draft trip that pays time and a half and this is freakin February. That is unheard of in normal times.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    This is part of a bigger phenomenon like pandemic employee rebellion. It's like people are trying to F-up on purpose just because they can and there are zero repercussions. The public is getting numb to the F-ups which are becoming SOP. So this new SOP is now the lowered expectation. Soon we business owners will be glad when our employees just show up. Getting work done properly will be a whole other level. Owners will fight this with robots and computers but at the end of the day the best problem solver to get things done is the owner or motivated employee who is learning all he can so that one day he has your job. Those aspirations are being crushed too. We had a time where people aspired to own Ferraris. Now people despise Ferraris and their owners as rich 1%'ers. Soon there will be a penalty for Ferrari ownership. All that said I need some T-belts and I'll be placing an other...and I need them tomorrow. Just kidding on the tomorrow but I will be placing my order soon.

Flavio_C, VAF84, 26street and 3 others like this.
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Its everywhere: USPS yesterday, I had a box labeled with my return address, and gave it the clerk, "Prioroty please""

Opening my phone for the address, was going to read him the ZIP code, "There's no address!" "i'm going to give it to you, Sir"
    "Well write it on the box" "you don't print a label??".........

"Write it on the box", so back in line I went although once finished, I broke back in as he tole me to do (felt bad though)..

I pay the fee, he turns to his machine, prints out the postage label, which HAS THE ADDRESS he copied from the box!!!!

If he had simply let me readi it to him everyone would have saved a few minutes......between they old man buying stamps, and my little 'go around", the line was out the door and the manage was like "Another clerk to the front please".....

They should fire the one azz hole and put two NEW clerks thee.
    I was just shaking my head.....trying to give USPS some business...

greg328 likes this.
  8. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had a lady ahead of me mailing a box, to the UK........another 15 minutes went by!!!
    :D :D :D

They should just send bitcoin and be done with it...

10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

INRange and Etcetera like this.
  11. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom

kes7u likes this.
  12. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I hear you. I run a manufacturing business. UPS managed to lose a pallet with 10,000 battery cells I ordered for 10 days. That was already after a ~10 day delay due to back up at LA port. Shut down my production line for days. They had no clue where they were. All they could tell me is they left LA. Called daily, no updates. Then truck randomly shows up and drops them off 10 days later. Whole supply chain is a mess now...

Texas Forever and ShineKen like this.
  13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Funny that I am reading this now. I just composed an email to UPS with a complaint about a missing item for my Testarossa about 2 minutes before logging into Fchat.

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    We regularly order parts from all over the country; the parts dept shipping is just a sad joke. "Overnight" might get here tomorrow at 4pm, or sometime in the next 2 days. If the part is coming from Asia, it might be a long time... I waited 6 weeks for a clutch disc for a 2019 Civic to arrive.

15. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

It looks like another day of broken promises, lost dreams, and wasted love.... flights out of Memphis and Cincinnati are a clusterf^&k today, likely due to winter weather in 99% of the US A day without Ferrari parts is a day without sunshine. :(

16. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Geez Daniel and here I thought that it would be fun to have your work function in life. If it is not one thing it’s another, sorry for your hassle.

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Life is like that sometimes, eh? 93.2% of the time, it is actually fun. The other 6.8% really blows.

Llenroc likes this.
  18. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

kes7u, EastMemphis and Texas Forever like this.
  19. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Only 15 landings were allowed for Wednesday. Normally, hundreds of planes would have taken off and landed at Memphis. We're getting more snow today too. So forget about anything arriving from FedEx or the USPS. It's all snarled. My wife is still stuck away from home. She arrived in LA from Hawaii yesterday and may make it home tomorrow. All the while earning double time for sitting in a hotel.

Next week we expect the weather to be sunny and in the 50's so that will end the nightmare. At least we have power, water and natural gas.

Ricambi America likes this.
  20. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

EastMemphis likes this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As far as USPS is concerned, the new Postmaster has been a complete disaster. He's made a lot of cuts in manpower and machinery. However to balance that, he has raised prices! :D

EastMemphis likes this.
  22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    My chewy orders stuck in PA. Had to go 40 minutes to the nearest petsmart and my 16 year old diabetic Maine Coon is PISSED.

dave80gtsi likes this.
  23. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    There is so much more to say about this it is nuts
    Why work hard to get better things in life when the government will give you money with out working and go after the working class to pay for it
    Sad days coming it’s a crime to be successful

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yep. A big problem they've created.

Kevin

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.