Sagging headliner fix in 458 (common issue) | FerrariChat

Sagging headliner fix in 458 (common issue)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Mikael-F360, Feb 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Last night I fixed a common issue in my 458. Headliner was sagging 3cm. The glue had dried over the years. Press your headliner from the center to see if you have this typical problem too! You feel right away if the upholstery materials have detached from each other.

I watched couple of youtube-videos about this (thanks Daniel Hurlbert) and got to work. I removed the trim panels starting from back to front. Mostly they are attached with plastic pins. Some screws too here and there. Then removed headliner from the metal roof as one piece. It was glued hard around the sides while the center was loose. Then cleaned loose residue off, sprayed glue to metal roof and headliner, waited 30 seconds and pressed them firmly together to form a strong bond. Then put all the trim pieces back in.

About three hours later all was done and perfect. Really happy with the result. More headspace now in the cabin!

If you plan to do this, you need to buy at least 10 new pins because many of them break when removing trim pieces: https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part/10342/ferrari/66092400/pin.html
    You need 3M spray glue 74 too.
    I also used three long strips of double sided tape to get even stronger bond to the metal roof.
    I also recommend to have a friend helping you like I had. Thanks Mike!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bandit23, LVP488, StevoA and 6 others like this.
  2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    You are quite an artisan! Excellent job and thank you for the detailed write up and photos.

The famed genius Michelangelo B would appreciate the effort of working on an Italian ceiling .

Bandit23 and Mikael-F360 like this.
  3. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    I'll take the comparison to Michelangelo as a compliment. Although the roof of a 458 isn't exactly the Sistene Chapel ;)

4. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    Amazing ... incredibly detailed post and I agree with the above MichaelAngelo for sure...
    well done keep sharing these awesome how to posts ... so informative

Mikael-F360 likes this.