Ghibli SS 115/49.1928 Restoration | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Ghibli SS 115/49.1928 Restoration

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Mexico074, Jan 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Juha..

Thank you again for the tip on the fuel sending units. I will be on the hunt for
    these! Great find! As Ivan indicates, the T-valve shown in post 75 is located
    in the same area as the fuel pumps. Mark (red27) has posted some pictures which
    should help clarify this. I believe I may have some NOS spares of these still in
    the Maserati bags. I need to check this to be certain. If you need one, let me
    know and I will get back to you on it.

I am also hoping he will post some pictures of the electrical wiring under the fuel
    tanks! :)

Thank you also for the info on the two small circuit boards. Very good information.
    Yes, the one by the steering gear is used in the cooling fan operating system. The
    other is the one I will probably not need.

Where I live, in Tennesse, we do not have smog testing, and as the car is over the age
    requirement, it should be exempt from smog testing everywhere, I think. I will be
    removing all the smog equipment. I will save what is worth saving in case it might
    be needed down the line. I have new exhaust manifolds and a new exhaust
    system standing by for the car.

Any thoughts about starting a thread on the resto of your car? I know all us Ghibli
    owners would love to see how its going!

Mark (red27) - I don't think you have a thread on your car either. I would also
    recommend you start one as well.. It looks like Juha, you, and me are in the same
    boat so to speak! I want to make sure we continue helping one another!

Thanks again!

Mike

2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Oops, sorry Mark, meant to reply about the Bendix pumps. Here in the US, there
    is a pump available from NAPA (National Auto Parts) that is a good replacement
    for the originals. I have been using these NAPA pumps for about 10 years on my
    Mexico, without any problems. The Mexico is very similar to the Ghibli in terms
    of the fuel pump location and hose routing! I will follow my Mexico layout for the
    Ghibli when the time comes!

Mike

3. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Mike! I am still in the realm of parts collecting at the moment, although nearly complete.
    I hope to start body and paint next year, and I'll post some more pictures then.
    Although it is a rather satisfying feeling to track down some of these parts, it maybe isn't as interesting as seeing shiny metal and paint replace the rusty bits!
    I am in the midst of dis-assembling the Recaro seat hinges on my car for re-chroming.
    It is not as straightforward as one may imagine...
    If I get them all back together successfully without mangling everything, I will do a thread on that perhaps. They were also found on Alfa junior Zagato, Lancia Fulvia and Volvo P18000 and Amazon too if anyone is looking, but they are getting thin on the ground.
    Best regards.

Mark.

PS, I don't think I have any pictures of wiring under the fuel tank sadly Mike, I may have one more, but the tank is definitely still in place.

4. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#179 JulianMerak, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#180 JulianMerak, Aug 2, 2016
  6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #181 Mexico074, Aug 10, 2016
    Attached is picture of what arrived from Australia yesterday!!!
    All are RW 4198.. Two seem to be in excellent condition and
    two have some spoke issues, or should I say opportunities!

These were the wheels for sale on Enrico's site.. I will be sending
    them to Dayton Wire Wheel in about a month for refurbishment..

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    FYI Dayton cannot replate the rim of the wheel but can replace it with a new one. The only problem is they do not have the dies to restamp the new rims or at least they did not three years ago when I had them rebuild mine. If you want them redone with the stamping I would suggest you contact Cork Adams as I know he has the correct dies and maybe Motion products in Neenah Wi

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Gene... When I checked with Dayton, they did not indicate anything about the rim. But,
    I didn't ask either. I will re-verify with them in a couple of weeks.. They did my Mexico
    wheels a few years ago, and I was quite happy with how they came out.

Regarding Cork Adams.. I believe that would be Precision Wire Wheels. When I called them
    and asked for Cork, someone else returned my call, if I remember correctly. Is he still even
    there? Also, the quote I got was about twice the price of Dayton, and could go even higher!
    I know they do good work, but using them might have brought the price of the wheels to a
    higher cost than brand new ones!

What have others experienced?

Mike

9. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Julian... I think you were going to try and take some pictures of the wiring under
    the fuel tanks, especially the main wiring harness and how it is layed out in the trunk
    (boot) area! Any luck?

Thanks...

Mike

10. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#185 JulianMerak, Aug 12, 2016
    Hi Mike,
    I think my mind was on other things Mike, I'll try next weekend because I need to remove the wiring for the inside areas to be painted and I'll need to know which way round it goes back together

11. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#186 JulianMerak, Aug 20, 2016
  12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Thanks Julian! Pictures are much appreciated!

Mike

13. GrifoS2

GrifoS2 Rookie

May 20, 2007
    #188 GrifoS2, Oct 20, 2016
    Hello Mike,

Not much to tell, tanks are still out of my car...
    I tested those Alfa senders with fuel gauge, they work perfectly.

Do you have hole like in photo?
    I think it is for possible fuel leak from tank, and should be both sides?

Photo is from:

Maserati Ghibli 4.9SS Barn-Find

Juha

14. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    lbird, red27, MrMark and 2 others like this.
  15. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Mike! Good to hear you are making progress. That engine looks beautiful. keep up the good work.

All the best.
    Mark.

16. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Mike, could you tell us more about the restoration of your wire wheels by Dayton and show a few detailed pictures before/after?

17. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Serge.. I will try and see what have for before pictures, it may be what is shown above..
    I will get some after pics in a couple of days.. Regarding Dayton restoring my Ghibli wire wheels, I had
    them restore the wire wheels on my Mexico some time ago... I think they did an excellent job at what
    I consider to be a very fair price.. I would recommend them, and will probably have them do my Mistral
    wire wheels when the time comes!

Hope this helps...

Mike

Froggie likes this.
  18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Dayton also did the wire wheels on a couple of Ghiblis. The spokes are slightly different and are stainless steel. The folks at Borrani told me they do not recommend stainless spokes as they claim they are not as strong. Most Jaguars have Dayton wire wheels with stainless spokes and I've never heard of problems. The one thing I wish Dayton would do is re-stamp the RW numbers. If your numbers are still very legible just tell them to go easy on the numbers when polishing the wheels.

In 2000 we had a Maserati event that went from Denver to Monterey crossing many miles of open desert. One day we were all cruising at over 100 mph in a Ghibli spyder for a long time. When we eventually got to a gasoline station people pointed out that the car had a rear flat tire. It was discovered the chrome inside the wheel had peeled and cut the tube, many spokes were destroyed. This wheel had been redone by a well known Borrani restorer while the other three had been done by Dayton.

Ivan

19. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Unless perfectly refurbished with a well bonded undercoat of copper and nickel, the chromium coating will be subject to eventual pitting and/or flaking upon ageing, especially if used in winter on salted roads.
    Maybe that this chromium reprocessing by Borrani was not made in house and/or was a bit overlooked...

On the other hand, contrarily to the normal steel used for the spokes, stainless steel is subject to stress hardening, which upon use and ageing in a wheel may leed to snapping under serious load.
    Hence the refusal by the Borrani factory to use stainless steel in their spokes and for refurbishment.

Now, for a classical car that is never raced, stainless may be as good, and at least will not rust!

20. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Serge.. The best before picture of my wheels is found above in post #181 of this thread. I checked and
    don't really have any others.. Attached are four pictures taken today of one of the wheels... One of the pictures
    shows the RW number.. I did not have any problem reading it.. I did not however, check any of the other wheels.
    I did use a different restorer for the center wheel caps as this is not something Dayton does.. At least they did not
    back then.

Personally, I think they did an excellent job!!.. I have absolutely no complaints.. Again, I found their price to be
    fair/reasonable when compared to other Borrani restorers.. I don't plan on going racing with the car, it will be an
    event and pleasure driver.. If you, or anyone else, is considering using them, I would suggest calling them and talking
    with them.. I can look through my notes/receipts to find who specifically I talked to if that helps anyone...

Hope this is of some use to you...

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

boralogist likes this.
  21. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Very nice, thank you, they look like jewels!
    I do not have Borrani's unfortunately, and I live in Europe...