Ultimate 458 Exhaust Shootout...Sound Up!!! | FerrariChat

Ultimate 458 Exhaust Shootout...Sound Up!!!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, Feb 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Kline sounds the best

Bas, FFan5, GT2goneF and 1 other person like this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Someone find out if car #5 had the valves set on normal or open. Should make a difference as the car sounds different with the valve functioning normally or set completely open.

Oh. And this thread needs a poll :).

VAF84 likes this.
  4. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I'm glad Dan put that together, great comparison.

docf, SingleClutch and eskanday like this.
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Dan said valves were open.
    One of the best videos ever put together!!!!

eskanday and ShineKen like this.
  6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #6 MalibuGuy, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    This is sort of like a blind wine tasting.
    About 8 years ago I got interested in red wines. Being fortunate enought to live in Cali. I decided to do some wine tasting on a regular basis during the daytime when my senses were at their peak. I'd go to various
    venues and events, and slowly began my education.

Later I was out with friends at an upscale restaurant and we were trying to decide on the bottles for the table. The Som did his best to explain and recommend the best pairings. We were still undecided. Then he challenged us to a blind tasting of a bottle of which he thought highly
    We each got a small tasting glass and then gave our best guess. Cab, merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah were named by my table mates. I somehow blurted out Red Zinn. After all of us had cast our votes, the Som poured me a full glass. "I am impressed you are the first one to have guess correctly," he said.

Anyway, in this video I knew immediately that the standard exhaust was the first car. That is the sound I've been listening to every day for the past 7 years and 132,000 miles.

My least favorite was the titanium exhaust. I didn't care for the higher frequency.

Also for me , like with a high end audio system, louder isn't equivalent to being more beautiful.

As far as the other aftermarket systems, my only input is that let's keep the cat for the good that is does in terms of not stinking up the exhaust. By deleting the cat, one does not improve the performance unlike a turbo. It is simply rude to the drivers behind you to have to smell. I don't think it is pleasant to stand behind someone in a line who is farting.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    100 cell cats will get you about 60-70% close to straight pipe.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Should there be sound differences between model years alone?

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Cars 3 and 6 shld be identical right? They sound different to me.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    What we really need is an exhaust solution for turbo Ferraris .

Cyrek likes this.
  11. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    I was thinking the same. 6 sounds MUCH better.
    Only difference was Dan has the option to open or close the valves. He would have had them open in the video. So I guess having the options of a valve kills some of the sound. Unsure why. Shame

SingleClutch likes this.
  12. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    My vote goes to IPE and titanium. Car 4. Sound was high-pitched and very similar to my Akrapovic system with 200cel cats.

AD211 likes this.
  13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    When you mess with headers and cats on a 458, these cars get very loud in a hurry. While the videos sound fabulous, think of that 24/7, even when cruising around town or in your neighborhood. Most would be dissuaded from making such a radical change.

An exhaust upgrade gets you part of the way there without routinely breaking the sound barrier.

white out likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the kline doesnt seem to suffer from this in the video. also, i have a novitec on my FF and there is no impact on sound. it sounds clean all the way through

GT2goneF likes this.
  15. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Who gives a toss about the neighbors

Valved system means you can close them anyway

VAF84 and Mikael-F360 like this.
  16. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Looks like the straight pipe muffler was only 2dB above stock. Car #6 was 12dB above stock. The cats do seem to be where all the volume is.

I wonder if you can feel the difference in weight? My wife doesn't weigh that much, and it'll completely change the feel of the car on track.

17. Cyrek

Cyrek Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    I own car 6 and my original inspiration came from Brent Ruiz who did the same setup on 430 and then repeated it on his 458 he also has a YouTube channel and instagrammed some links that blew me away. I have other cars, and feel like I’m the center of the universe so I never considered my neighbors and did my pipe for myself and anyone who reads stuff like this. Dan may have installed the first valves ever on an S-line? In person every car there sounded amazing and the white car with no mods sounds better IMO then any 488 so it’s really comes down to the tone and level of obnoxiousness you desire. I don’t think there’s a single of the 4 highly modified exhausts there that cost under $12,000 installed and the Kline....well forget about it’s one of those things if you have to ask. My setup is the single most expensive bolt on mod I have done to a car and it was worth every penny, and car was tuned at the same time and it’s never been on a dyno. Anyway you guys would respect these dudes in Austin not only do they mod the hell out of their cars they drive the piss out of em!

spyder625, docf, SingleClutch and 3 others like this.
  18. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

do you have insta. I wanna hear more :)

Do you have headers or just the decat and xpipes ?

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Do we know if Dan (car #3) ran with the valves set on open or functioning normally?

20. Cyrek

Cyrek Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    I do not I am Instagramless. Brent Ruiz who I have never spoken to does have some disgusting clips of a Mexico blue 458 on his Instagram worth viewing. I have fabspeed headers, fabspeed test pipes and the S-Line X rear section no valves tuned with no pops. If you PM me an email or a phone number I’ll send you a few extra sound clips that would make a baller ringtone for your phone.

21. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
    The test pipes make a much bigger difference than one would think.

Dan has the S-Line pipes; Car #6 has Fabspeed pipes.

I’ve installed a variety of setups on my car and have experienced firsthand how changing only the test pipes can meaningfully change the character of the sound. In my case, the difference between iPE and Novitec test pipes for me is the difference between goosebumps or not. The Novitec brought with it slightly more volume, and a lot more drama, especially on deceleration. The first time you let off and coast from 7000RPM downwards in the Novitec will make you say “wow”. Hard to describe in words, instantly understood in person. I was surprised.

It’s incredibly fortunate that the loudest exhaust also makes the best sound. The only lack of refinement is right around 2500RPM (kind of a ‘warble-y’ resonance); otherwise, it sings loudly and clearly all the way to 9000RPM. The quality of the S-Line’s extra volume is not well captured by the camera. In person, it’s as clear and crisp as a ringing fire alarm bell, and it is awe inspiring.

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    For a valved system, my vote goes to car # 5 with the full Inconel Kline system. Clean distinct F1 sound all the way through. Sophisticated. Same characteristic on my Scud (Capristo headers, Capristo test pipes, Kline Inconel muffler).

For loudness, drama, and brutal F1 sound my vote goes to car number 6.

Props to car number 4 for dropping $$$ and going full titanium.

Props to car #3 for making it all happen :)

Car #2. Reid exhaust? Never heard. Props for playing, but should send money to Car #3 for an upgrade :).

Car #1. Props for showing up :)

Someone should consider going full Brilliant Exhaust (Japan). Definitely one of the best I’ve heard.

Lagunae92, GT2goneF and FourFiveGreat like this.
  23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I find this notion of test pipes from different brands can possibly produce different sounds very interesting. Aside from material construction, they seem relatively the same and flow exhaust straight through. I wonder if someone can come up with an explanation.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

wthensler likes this.
  24. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
    The pics show differences in shape at the least:

https://www.s-linesound.com/product-page/s-works-458-cat-delete-kit

https://www.fabspeed.com/ferrari-458-italia-cat-bypass-pipes-2010-2015/?sku=FS.FER.458.CB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy6mGmI3q7gIV__DjBx1OgQYgEAQYASABEgJg8_D_BwE

https://www.topendmotorsports.com/ferrari/458/engine/exhaust/ipe-exhaust/f1-cat-bypass-pipes-stainless-2561.php?utm_source=google&utm_medium=g&utm_campaign=6531823355_82485291030_&utm_term=_&device=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoZLa7I3q7gIVrsmUCR1I6A3HEAQYASABEgImR_D_BwE

I can assure you that the sound differences are not subtle at all. Doing it over again, I’d emulate the #6 setup (I had Fabspeed headers, Novitec test pipes, and S-Line exhaust). The Brent setup (#6) is the most extreme and jaw-dropping.

ShineKen likes this.
  25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Christ...just what I needed, another reminder that I shouldn’t have sold my 4th 458s recently....