Making Cheap Cool Keys for 360 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Making Cheap Cool Keys for 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by vrsurgeon, Mar 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I had always wanted to replicate this after seeing Dr. Curt's great handy work.

With my 2004 360 hibernating for the winter, I began the effort right after the new year.

I first searched on eBay for the cover/blank. Couldn't find so I moved to Aliexpress. Bingo. Cover only for $11 each, shipped. I first ordered one. On arrival 3 weeks later, I immediately ordered 3 more because I wanted the cavallino on both sides and to ultimately have 2 keys.

Two weeks ago, I stopped by the locksmith to have one key (Fiat FT46) cut to test fit. $4, key included. After testing the cut key on the door and starting the car, I stopped by last week for another, and then gave the gal $5 for her to trim the key following the lines I marked.

Rare Portland snowpocalypse, I took time this weekend to finish the project.

I epoxied the key using JB Weld, then hot glued 2 nickels (2004). Too thick with two nickels so I removed one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Flea7 likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks great.

Raconteur likes this.
  4. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    You could fill the void with knead epoxy filler commonly used to repair metals. It's very thick and adds good weight once set

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X104F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I love it ...that looks great!

6. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Guys are these plastic shells still available on aliexpress, alibaba with the cavalino logo? Can anybody share (PM?) a link if you got one recently? I think most of them are red smooth (no logo).

7. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Ads show no logo, but it will usually arrive with. Aliexpress does not allow brand knock offs to be listed so most vendors just photoshop the logos out.

DanNE likes this.