812 Superfast BATTERY question | FerrariChat

812 Superfast BATTERY question

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by JMJ, Nov 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JMJ

JMJ Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey J
    Greetings All,

for 3 years I never plugged in my 2016 F12, drive usually 2 days a week, 4 or more in the summer. Leave car Undriven for Jan-April.

Early on, some electrical in the dash got a bit wonky, radio sound mostly. I I replaced OEM battery, with an Interstate, and never had a problem.

Question, will I need to do this again on my days old 812 S? Don’t the V12 batteries come larger, and need less conditioning? Any and all experiences welcome, and appreciated.

JJ

2. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

I would not leave without trickle charger plugged in for more than about 2 weeks.
    Jan - April without any charge will not work with OEM battery.

Thecadster and JMJ like this.
  3. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Im not sure if I would leave it off charger for even 2 weeks. My dealers both on the west coast and midwest tell me to put it on charger after a week even though the OEM battery has been changed out. Im sure it would be fine longer than a week but playing with fire after that.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I haven't read the 812 owners manual yet. But past models I've read, they usually say put the car on the tender if its going to sit for more than something like 68 hours. I always found it curious it would be a few hours less than 3 days. I would not leave the 812 off tender for more than a day. These cars have a lot of computers that stay active. I would imagine the factory battery should hold up for a little while so long as you do. I'd imagine you could get 3-4 years on it. I would recommend using a better tender than the factory. I like the CTek 7002. You can get a tender with the proper connector on ebay- just type in Ctek 7002 Ferrari and get the one with the newer style connector- make sure to use the * / Snowflake mode- that is for AGM batteries which is what is standard in the 812.

5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    One of the many improvements from F12 to 812 is the easy access tender connection in the rear. More or less makes it early impossible to be lazy. In the F12 I hated the inside the boot connection that forced one to decide between squeezing the hatch onto the cord or routing the cord through a front window that was lowered an inch.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No need to pinch the cord. Just lower the hatch without latching. The inside light goes out by itself and its easy to remember its attached.

7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Wow. Good intel. How long before it goes out? I seem to recall waiting several minutes. Perhaps, I needed to have waited longer. Nevertheless, the 812 is superior in this minor, but meaningful, area.

Solid State likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its just a few minutes and its being charged so no drain. Enjoy your 812 they are all great cars!

9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    FWIW: My -16 FF can be in the garage for max of 10 days before I get into problems with the battery, however after 7 days it is a bit of a gamble, so IF I for some odd reason needs to not use the FF for 7 days, it is on the tender. For example when I travel overseas, which seems to be for at the minimum 20 days at each time - my FF will never survive +10 days....

10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    One time, I made the mistake of leaving my F12 uncharged for too long. It started right up, I pulled out of the garage, forgot something in the house and, rather than leave it running, turned it off. Big mistake, as it would not turn back over again. It was in the driveway, thunderstorm was coming (in NC you worry about hail). I called the Ferrari tech at my AD, and he walked me through how to initiate the emergency hatch opening sequence in order to access the plug in. Then I rigged the charger up on an extension cord, careful to wrap it with plastic to prevent water from shorting it out. Left it over night. Luckily it didn’t rain. Even more luckily, I started right up in the morning. So...yeah...I leave ALL my toys plugged in.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    One thing to be careful of is that the new magnetic snap detector can seem like it's on but not be charging.

I found this out after trying to start the car after 2 weeks. It was plugged in but not charging because of a bit of dirt under the plug.

Caeruleus11 and jumpinjohn like this.
  12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Yup.

I plug mine in faithfully and check the charger lights but apparently after some rainy days, there was moisture trapped in the connector and no charging was happening-despite the indicators on the charger...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. az car guy

az car guy Rookie

May 14, 2018
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Curtis Leonard
    Okay.... I am am new to this and went without driving or attaching the trickle for 2 or 3 weeks to my 812 and it wont start. Everything I have read so far says not to jump it. I called the dealer and they basically said to call road side and they will pick it up. Seems like a hassle. Any thoughts or recommendations?

When I get in the car, everything lights up fine but it will no try and start. The battery meter in the car says 12V.

14. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Do you hear a cranking noise? A clicking noise?

az car guy likes this.
  15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Amazing for the battery meter to still show 12V after not driving or attached to charger for that long. If no sound at all, it might be a dead starter. But batter is still more likely due to Fcar's reputation of draining the battery, especially OEM one.

az car guy likes this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    When I parked my F12 I usually took a couple breaths, popped the rear hatch, turned the car off, and then sprinted to hook up the charger. Got it down to about 4.5 sec, but if I had a slow day and took > 5.5 sec the battery would die.

17. az car guy

az car guy Rookie

May 14, 2018
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Curtis Leonard
    No, I do not hear a cranking noise or clicking noise like a normal car would give you with a battery going low. I do hear the noise (hard to explain) that is makes just before the starter turns. I feel like something is telling the starter not to try. Almost like a fuse or relay.

I did replace the key fob batteries, just to rule that out.

On Thursday night when I realized I had an issue, I plugged in the trickle charger. It turned green and has stayed green after just a few hours. On the phone with the dealer, they did not think plugging in the trickle would help at this point. I did not check the voltmeter in the car Thursday... did for the first time today.

18. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I wonder, just me thinking out loud, if the cold snap just revealed you had a bad cell in the battery, do you know how old it is? But I'd assume you'd hear cranking, on my 08 Lexus IS-F the starter died and in that case there was no cranking at all.... what a terrible situation I'm very sorry to hear

What kinda charger do you have? Do you have any Noco battery jumpers? I think the general suggest to not jump is because so many people do it wrong, otherwise it's just another battery helping give cranking amps

19. az car guy

az car guy Rookie

May 14, 2018
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Curtis Leonard
    The 812 was new this past July. I am only using the Ferrari provided trickle charger.

My garage is not heated but it is insulated. I doubt it got below 45 degrees in there.

20. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I can only imagine that the starter is the problem, since you're covered under warranty - if i were you - I'd just call roadside to get your car to the dealer and have them take a look - I'm going to guess it's the starter

Feel free to take a video and upload it to youtube and link it here, if you don't hear any cranking then it sounds like a bad starter

Cranking means it's trying, but it doesn't sound like you're even getting to that point

az car guy likes this.
  21. az car guy

az car guy Rookie

May 14, 2018
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Curtis Leonard
    Here is a link/video of me trying to start it this morning. I plan to call Ferrari Roadside later today. Thank you for every one's input.

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://youtu.be/eFHOWcW0Zps&data=04|01||edb24e0f11ef4e66f65708d8d1c192bf|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|637489976604410564|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=|1000&sdata=NZSGBDO8m0Vt7pbHft5PpSq9T2ms2+vdBXVB8yAn5mE=&reserved=0

22. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    There is a sensor in the brake pedal- it must be triggered in order to start the car. Try pressing really hard on the brake pedal and holding the start button. See if that helps. I can’t quite make it out on the video but if it makes a kind of beginning to crank sound but can’t go anywhere its likely a bad cell. I’ve had this happen on several cars and when its a bad cell the battery acts fine in all respects- the tenders will even say the battery is OK but it doesnt have enough amps to crank the engine- its like having ½ a battery. The ½ is fine but the other is not. First try the pressing hard on the brake pedal thing. I think if the car is sitting for a long time it goes into a deeper sleep and wants you to really press harder on the brake pedal. Let us know. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. az car guy

az car guy Rookie

May 14, 2018
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Curtis Leonard
    The 812 was picked up yesterday by Ferrari roadside, so I can't double check the brake pedal. I am fairly certain I pressed the peddle hard enough it should have triggered any needed sensors. I am going with the bad cell theory as most likely the culprit.

I was pleasantly surprised that the drivers that picked it up appeared to care and know what they were doing.

I will let you know what the dealer has to say when I hear from them.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Please do- good luck - hopefully its minor.

25. az car guy

az car guy Rookie

May 14, 2018
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Curtis Leonard
    Dealer called and said my battery took a full charge and there does not appear to be any problems. Appears me not connecting the trickle charger for 2 to 3 weeks in (relatively) cold weather was enough to cause issues. O well. Live and learn...