Would you purchase a 50k miles 458 | FerrariChat

Would you purchase a 50k miles 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ferrari#7, Feb 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    There is a 50k miles 458 for sale. I know a PPI is a must. Would you consider it with these miles? THANKS

Sent from my LM-G710VM using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. babwine

babwine Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Boca Raton/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Burt
    How many owners? What’s the maintenance and repair history? The 458 is a great car and properly maintained is good for another 50k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VelocityTexas likes this.
  3. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    If maintenance and repair history are there and the car looks well cared for. Yes, but price dependent of course.

FourFiveGreat likes this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Price , number of owners ?

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I probably wouldn't buy such a car when there are so many 15-20k mile ones....it's not like it's a rare car (for example, If we were talking about a Daytona a question on miles doesn't even come up, it's purely a matter of condition, budget, & condition....no it's not a typo).

6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Absolutely. Many things on modern cars time out. You are going to deal with it either way as these cars age. Getting a great deal on a driver's car makes a ton of sense. I've driven a high mileage 458 at an experience thing, and the mileage didn't bother me while the car was over 8000 RPMs....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Melvok, Extreme1 and jahdish like this.
  7. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
    Came here to post this.

A car with full records at the right price from a meticulous owner who simply happens to like to drive is a satisfactory bet. The car has a lot of life left at that mileage.

Melvok and alibo70 like this.
  8. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    This 50k miles 458 has had the trans replaced at dealer. This is fairly common I believe? Records are in order. PPI is a must. Trying to figure a good price.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Melvok likes this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have a 45k 458, and plan on driving it for years to come.

10. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Mine has 40k. Not scared.

Melvok and alibo70 like this.
  11. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    I'll echo other comments. Yes if car is in good condition, had appropriate service and the price was right. Once received I'd do the maintenance that might not have been done previously such as coolant flush, transmission and differential fluid change. Also brake fluid if it's been more than 2 years.

Melvok likes this.
  12. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Beyond all the obvious questions above, it all comes down to your means. I bought my '14, w/ 4k on the clock in March '20, optioned very nicely w/ a sticker close to $300k. I had $200k plus at my disposal, to buy the car ($194K), then pay the 8.75% NYS metro sales tax ($17k) and another $17k to wrap, ceramic, build in radar, jammers, rear spacers, and other items to make her really mine. So at the end I was out of pocket $227k, but have a stunning beauty, that people can't get over. I'd say you are in the $120k range w/ yours?? If that is your range, go for it, if it passes all the obvious question and PPI. Also, get a power warranty.
    Yes, the transmissions are a problem. Mine went w/ 6,500 on the clock and thank God for the power warranty. Ferrari gave me a brand new box, which after install is a $40k job! Here's mine. :)

Attached Files:

alibo70 likes this.
  13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The benefit of buying a car with that mileage is a lower price because of the unfounded mileage stigma so there is an advantage to be had there. That said if you will be afraid of putting mileage on it because of what is currently on the clock then you may want to pass regardless of price because it will spoil the ownership experience. On none of my cars do I know what their current mileage is give or take 5-10K. I maintain them right and never pay attention to their odometer growth.

If the question relates to the durability of the car with 50K you have nothing to worry about. If the car was well maintained and there are records to verify it then that mileage is not an issue.

alibo70 and Melvok like this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    OEPPPPSSS another gearbox …. what were symptoms ? How long did it take ?

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yes if the price was right. maybe 120-130k?

Sargepug likes this.
  16. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Initial symptoms, were simply throwing the transmission failure code, which would clear itself after restart. Then after maybe another 600 miles or so, I would sometimes lose 5th, which would reset on restart. Then I started losing all odd gears and that was that. There were only 2 new boxes in the country, so we grabbed one and I think all said and done, it took 3 weeks. Here's a more detailed history.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-tranny-issue.628502/

Melvok likes this.
  17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I don’t think you can renew or buy a New Power warranty on the car past 52k (56k?) miles, if you’re a peace of mind kind of guy.

18. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    What love to know what you end up paying or what they're asking for those miles.