812 Oil Consumption | Page 4 | FerrariChat

812 Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by racerdj, Aug 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Curious as to why one can check Ferrari V8 warm idle without the engine-revving procedure, but V12s require it.

2. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks to this thread I checked the oil level after 4 weeks and 5000km driving (soft driving - break in, wife on board etc.)
    After adding 2 liter it was close to the minimum line so I put another half on top.

Now I‘m gonna start having more fun with the car and will see the oil consumption under stronger conditions.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Just read this thread. Don't believe I saw anyone mention what the total oil capacity of the system is.
    Curious, how many quarts/liters is required for a standard oil change. Do you drain from multiple points? sump and tank?
    Thanks

4. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Post #61 on the thread (page 3) I posted the owners manual where it lists the total capacity in quarts and liters.

As far as a drain and fill procedure, I’m going to be figuring that out soon as I’m going to have access to workshop manuals soon

BJK likes this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    14 qts (3 1/2 gallons) wow - ok, when 'italiafan' mentioned being 6 qts down, I was like, whaaaaat??? :eek: :confused: But still 8 in there, sooo ..... no meltdowns. :D

6. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    There are 2 drain plugs, 1 on the oil reservoir, 1 at the bottom of the crankcase. There are 2 oil hoses that you disconnect to drain as well. Makes 4 drain points, not including the oil filter housing

Solid State and BJK like this.
  7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Guess we see why Ferrari has changed it's oil change policy. Sounds like a good hour to complete.

8. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Dry sumps drain pretty fast, I'd guess it doesn't take an experienced tech too long to do it. After being under the car this weekend, it doesn't look too bad once you have the trays out

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    And you need some pretty big wrenches for those oil hoses which really are a thing of beauty.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #85 day355, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Do you mean in neutral gearbox position car stopped, or car driving on the road ?

11. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Done with vehicle in neutral. Note that you may experience the ECM disabling the throttle. If it happens, put it in gear, then back to neutral, and then rev to 4k again. The ECM puts it into a free rev safe mode.

Bundy likes this.
  12. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Grazie 1000 !

Solid State likes this.
  13. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Well that's bloody false. Literally any modern performance car with dfi will chug oil. Modern emission compliant/'clean' oils are pretty much useless, especially in the twin turbo cars (oils can't handle the heat). And manufacturers insist in the thinnest weights possible.
    Hell, s63 on m5/m6 are known for oil consumption and for actual premature wear due to 'BMW oils' and some service centers choice of oils out of what BMW offers.
    Good old 'dirty' ester based formulas have been the solution. No more oil usage, no carbon build up, no shagged cats, no more slush on injectors and shock horror, they will actually prevent wear and quiet down the tapping sounds and engine operation.

14. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Well I have an '16 991 GT3 which of course is DFI , I have never added a drop of oil to it since I bot it new, so obviously not all engines of this type chug oil.

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My 2018 911 GT3 now has 14K miles and hasn’t needed a drop of oil. My 458 Italia in 22K miles never needed oil, neither has my Speciale, or my F12. My ‘13 458 Spider has 45K miles and has never needed a drop of oil.

16. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Prior 2 posters: Are you saying that you have never added oil - or that no oil has been added? Could it be that the cars were topped up/re-filled to proper capacity whilst in for regular service/maintenance; thus, relieving you of the chore?

17. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Mine consumes oil like crazy, unfortunately. I had to put in 5 quarts recently and was in a bit of disbelief because I’ve been routinely adding. I think it’s motor-dependent, but I’ve heard that 812’s consume more oil than other Ferrari’s. Doesn’t mean all 812’s will though- some consume no meaningful amount and others are like mine.

18. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    What I am saying is, I have never had to add oil in between the annual service where the oil is changed.

italiafan and Napoli like this.
  19. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    Well that depends on the miles driven between the services but yes a V12 Ferrari needs more oil than a Mercedes AMG 63

Gesendet von iPad mit FerrariChat

Napoli likes this.
  20. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Which oil are you guys adding...brand and type typically?

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    same

Napoli likes this.
  22. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    italiafan and Ngcanada like this.
  23. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Mobile 1 here.

24. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Well but did they need oil? I have seen even carrera gt just running around with oil at min, they did not add oil as well.
    See a Direct Injection not consuming oil is virtually impossible because it literally is designed to do it.
    On common port injection fuel is the lubricant to the valves and valve seats, on direct engines this lubrification is done thru the pcv valve that redirects oil vapours into the intake side that will eventually lubricate valves.
    So you or anyone saying that a Direct Injection engine does not consume oil is a hard to believe one, unless you already running low oil levels (mid to min), deleted the pcv, the pcv is clogged up, there is just no miles done with the car or you are getting water/fuel dilution.
    The other possibility is that the car is driven for short distances and weakly driven, no oil consumption would make sense in this case.

25. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Oil low light routinely comes on Sunday morning after the first track section in my GT3 RS. Burns 250 ml every Saturday. Every weekend the same. Mobile 1 for it.

The 812 hasn’t gone through oil yet- 1200+ out of 1367 mi on the track. 3 sets of tires, 3 sets of pads and I just found out I need 4 new shocks. Oil is nothing compared to that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Dubaicity likes this.