246 engine weight | FerrariChat

246 engine weight

Discussion in '206/246' started by russh, Feb 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi, I am trying to determine the weight of the 246 engine. I haven't been able to find any information with regard to the weight. I am thinking about purchasing a hydraulic lift cart to place it on.

2. Tobi

Tobi Karting

Jun 24, 2011
    Alto Palatinato
    I'm not sure, but the pure engine should be about 140 kg. Add another 100 kg for the gearbox and accessories to be on the safe side for sizing the lift.

Please excuse the European weight specification, but I'm not strong in converting this to gallons or square feet or whatever imperial units are used for this ;)

3. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Thank you very much. I was hoping that it would be somewhere around this weight, but it was only a guesstimate on my part. I have already removed the clutch housing (drop gears), clutch, and flywheel.

4. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
  5. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi Kevin,
    Yes, I am looking for a 2 ton engine hoist and trying to determine their specifications. I did read through your post and I didn't realize that you had listed an estimated weight. I was focused at the time on what you had indicated for the length of the engine hoist reach. Thank you.

6. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I use a 2 ton crane in the longest position (0.5 ton), it works fine but you need 3 people to operate and steady it.
    Also dropping the car closer to the ground on a mid-rise lift with wheels off helps.