430 - Oil leaking out of dipstick/pour spot | FerrariChat

430 Oil leaking out of dipstick/pour spot

Discussion in '360/430' started by DeTomasoGTS74, Feb 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I noticed some drips under my car after pulling it on the lift following a spirited drive. Amber colored and hardly any scent.

I took off the two easy to access panels underneath and didn’t notice anything obvious.

So I then started to poke around the top of the engine with a good flashlight. Immediately I noticed the area around the engine oil reservoir where you top it off was soaked. I followed it down and there is evidence of oil all the way down to where it was leaking out.

The odd part was the cap was on firmly. Has anyone ever experienced this?! This is a first in any of my cars....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Attached Files:

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Could it be the last person putting oil missed and it worked its way down ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Check the oil level correctly. Engine at temp, Engine running (idle), dipstick resting on top of the reservoir. I bet the prior owner didn't fill it correctly and you are over full.

NOTE: the F1 fluid is also a problem. The markings on the dipstick are wrong. It is measured at temp and a specific distance below the top. They made a siphon tube (J shaped) that allowed removal of fluid to hit the right level.

DeTomasoGTS74 likes this.
  4. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Would have noticed this on the lift previously or looking in and around the engine.

5. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks I’m hoping the same. Will check in the am. Strange though that my last service was June. I have put on 800 miles since and didn’t have this until just now. I would think if it was overfilled back in June just would’ve presented itself early on

6. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I see some very slight moisture near my cap sometimes. Im going to replace the small oil cap gasket gasket as a result. Mine is probably old and dried out by now given the number of heat cycles my car has seen. I just wish it wasn’t 50 bucks. I don’t have a problem buying expensive parts that are obviously expensive to produce, but this is a super thin piece of stupid rubber! Just feels like robbery buying that thing!

7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Make one. Get some rubber gasket material from Autozone/Amazon/Someplace and cut it out with an exacto knife.

janmante likes this.
  8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Ok

I would second the gasket route since even if overfilled that cap should have been sealed .. i am thinking with the spirited driving you got the oil hot thin and foamy coming thru the gasket on a sharp turn

Check the level and gasket as mentioned

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

9. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Thought very hard about doing just that. But although I am cheap, I'm also OCD, and I didn't want to have to fret/guess/worry/stew about whether my diy gasket was the right thickness/material/durability, etc..., so figured I'd just bite the bullet and buy a new one and not think about it again (and rule out the gasket as a possible future problem to address, which is worth something!).

AandSC likes this.
  10. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Was it overfilled? the F430 oil level; MUST be checked w/ the engine up to operating temperature and when the engine is running !

11. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Just ordered my gasket from eurospares (27 British pounds, along with a few hundred bucks in other odds and ends!)

janmante likes this.
  12. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    I think one could get similar to leather punches the exact diameter needed for the ID and OD of the gasket !
    We did that to cut precise holes thru some car carpet to mount a fire extinguisher bracket .

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good news is the oil was still registering and only down a touch. Turns out it was a slow leak at the o ring for the oil plate. I’m guessing it has never been changed in 12 years during the oil changes. There is also a bit of a leak at one of the hoses that will require a new clip.

Over time it got to a point where the leak became visible from under the car. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Skidkid likes this.
  14. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Glad the source was identified and simple fixes.