My stolen 308GTB is Back!! | FerrariChat

My stolen 308GTB is Back!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 8valve, Feb 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    *NEWS!* It has been 5 years and 2,5 months since my 308GTB (#33007) was stolen from me in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
    14 months later, I found it back. (I checked EVERY car advertising site 3-4 times a week, for 14 months..) It was advertised for sale in Belgium.
    The next day me and a friend (I’ll keep his name private for now) drove down to identify the car. After confirming that it was indeed my car, the police confiscated the car, and it was taken into custody.
    3,5 years of legal precedings followed, and finally the car was turned over to my insurance company who in turn offered the car back for sale to me.
    And that’s where we stand right now...I bought back the car that I owned for almost 13 years before she was stolen from me.
    Obviously there’s work to be carried out. Engine needs a thorough inspection and service, and some cosmetic issues need to be dealt with. But I will soon be able to enjoy her again. And I’m VERY happy and proud to be the owner again of #33007, a beautiful black dry sumped euro GTB.

[​IMG]

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's WONDERFUL news!!!!

So interesting that it turned up and the time afterwards, for the claims to work thru.

Not that it matters, but was the priced frozen once it was settled by insurance, or did you make any/lose money??
    A shame about the repairs, but a gate hit my car today.

The girl felt bad and I got a free coffee, but it was still a "loss" for the day!
    Just scratch though, in the end I am glad to be IN the car!!!
    :D :D :D

That's your feeling I am sure!!!

635CSI and 8valve like this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That dealer selling the car is the real victim!!
    But shame on him, anyway!!!!

4. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    He never said it was a dealer or private sale....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The car in the photo looks great! Is that a 2021 or a 2017 picture?

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm guessing the seller didn't know it was stolen. I'm curious, do European countries have titles for cars?

Congrats on getting your car back!

7. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    It was a dealer in used sports cars.

8. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    The cars papers had been falsified, and it had been successfully registered on Belgian plates..

Nospinzone likes this.
  9. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    I will refrain from any opinions or judgments towards the ‘dealer’. I simply don’t know what his role was.

10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Congrats on getting your car BACK !!!!

11. ronc52

ronc52 Karting

Aug 25, 2010
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Congratulations! With a vin# of 007 how cool is that! love GTB's

alex and 8valve like this.
  12. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Thanks Mark!

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I am curious about the 3.5 years of legal proceedings. Why so long? Once you could prove that you had proper title to the car and the police seized it, did the dealership dispute your ownership? Did you go to court?

I am currently going through something similar in Italy (someone copied my serial number onto another car) which has taken almost a year so far to clear up. I am hoping not to have to wait another 2.5 years(!)

janmante likes this.
  14. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Great to hear you got your car back. I hope the rejuvenation and reunion go smoothly!

8valve likes this.
  15. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Well, since my insurance company was technically the owner of the car (they paid me the agreed value 1 month after it was stolen) I was not involved in this legal battle.
    The first ruling was that the dealer did not know he had a stolen car, and thus was entitled to keep it (The chassis number was altered). My insurance company appealed, and won. Then the dealer apparently sued and tried to got some of his expenses recovered...unsuccessfully.
    In the end, the car was rightfully appointed to the insurance company, and it was on its way back home to Holland. The original chassis number was reinstated, I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse, and that was that.

16. luccio

luccio Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Luccio
    Very happy for you that you found your car and also sorry the bureaucracy takes so much time... hopefully you will enjoy her for many more years - this story making her so special!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. AZ77

AZ77 Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Andres Z
    Amazing to get you car back after so long! I assume you had thought that was the end of it when your insurance paid you... enjoy it!

janmante likes this.
  18. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Yes, and so did the insurance company...had I not found it back for them it would have probably just dissappeared. It was cloned, to resemble another black GTB that had been on the market in the Netherlands, and later in Denmark. It had THAT cars’ chassis number (done WELL! ) and the odometer was increased from 33000km to 53000 km to resemble the other car. (My speedometer/odometer will now need work...where can I get a new chrome bezel for it? It looks like they used a tuna can opener to access the odometer digits..)

Fynmere and janmante like this.
  19. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    YES ! please explain about that ?

20. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    One word: Belgium. That’s all I’m going to say about the court case. I wasn’t involved since my insurance company was the legal owner of the car.

janmante likes this.
  21. AZ77

AZ77 Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Andres Z
    Wow... seems they put quite some effort into making yours disappear. It's quite worrying that they were able to successfully register it in Belgium with the false paperwork. I guess all that trust in the citizen sometimes isn't the best approach, especially when these type of rats are pulling these maneuvers.

Anyways, wish you enjoy the hell out of your second chance with it!

Cheers

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Great story. You were made whole then it sounds like? Hopefully you bought her for less now than you got when she was stolen (Which was peak of the market iirc).

8valve likes this.
  23. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    That was last week..;)

24. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Thank you sir! Apparently the dutch paperwork that was used (the equivalent of a ‘title’) was stolen from a DOT office about 15 years ago. I spoke to an insurance agent who used to be a police detective, and he recognized the serial number of that specific paperwork. Seems that paperwork in that stolen range of number shows up from time to time as stolen cars are retrieved.
    Indeed worrisome that the Belgian DOT accepted it’s validity, and didn’t do any type of research when the car was immatriculated (is that even an English word?)