458 - Understanding 458 Wheel Options | FerrariChat

458 Understanding 458 Wheel Options

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by intownrunner, Feb 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intownrunner

intownrunner Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hoping to get my head around the different 458 wheel options.

I have read several of the other threads and thought I would put down my understanding of the different 458 wheel options.

Two Varieties: Stock and Sport

Stock wheels are cast metal
    Sport wheels are forged metal.

Stock wheels are more twisty looking.
    Sport wheels have straight lines

Stock wheels are available in two colors the standard silver color, and a darker (not dark) painted and chrome option.

Forged wheels are available in 3 color options. Painted Silver, darker color (Fero Grey), and diamond cut.

1. Does the above sound correct? Any changes or addendums?

2. If I see black wheels does that mean that someone had them painted b/c Ferrari only has the darker option in the sport wheels.

Any additional options or considerations when looking at wheels are appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Need4Spd likes this.
  2. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I very recently dug into this myself and was surprised there was not more clear discussion than I found. What I came away with was yes the standard wheel was the twisted starfish which was cast, the sport was forged and came in three finish variations

Need4Spd likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes the twisted star wheels are cast. They are also known as anchors. The weight is just mind blowing. Not many were delivered with those.
    Then there's the common forged wheels. Not sure if they came in all black.

Why not get a set of Speciale wheels? Came in black and are substantially lighter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    I have forged wheels in Silver, Matte Grey, Speciale Gold and Diamond Cut so I can help answer any questions.

The standard wheels were made by Enkei are are cast= extremely heavy. These are known as the “Chinese Star” version.

The Sport Five Star Forged Wheels are much lighter and came in three colors from the factory. Silver, Gloss Gray and Diamond Cut. That’s not to say you could have ordered them in a different color from the factory but that would have been a special order. If that order was made usually the request was Gloss Black, Matte Black or Gold. (Jeremy Clarksons car came with Gold)

Also, 488 wheels will also fit the 458 which are an option as well.

Some pictures below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Need4Spd likes this.