Some advice and guidance needed.... | FerrariChat

Some advice and guidance needed....

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by gilly6993, Feb 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just making sure I’m getting accurate information from my dealer. I’ll try to compact the story as best as possible. 2017 Lusso with the extended bumper to bumper warranty until March 29th, 2021 which was a courtesy from my dealer because of my PTU issues in the summer of 2019. Fast forward to 2021. $6K for piece of mind especially after going through a PTU replacement is a no brainer for me.

Regular maintenance just done at the beginning of the year and was told after i got the car to them in Jan I was outside the 60 day window to extend the warranty, or in my case get the New Power warranty. I was pissed , really pissed actually, because I was told otherwise before getting the car to them.

Now I have to get the car back to them to inspect for the New Power warranty. I was just told there is some maintenance that is opening up on the car for April 13th though. It can’t be done even a day early per Ferrari.

This is my main question: I’m trying to coordinate the warranty inspection and maintenance so the car isn’t there for a few weeks. Can the warranty still be given if the previous one expires? Meaning the car will be inspected after the 29th. The dealer said no problem. It would just be out of warranty a few days/ week. Thanks for any expert insight as I just don’t have a ton of trust in the dealer because of past issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    When I was looking at Lussos, there was one that lost its factory warranty in October and it was valid for a New Power Warranty even with a November sale. Hope that helps. Dealership told me the $5780 is for 2 years on a new sale, 1 year for renewals.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    My view is that the NP warranty is not worth it, especially now that the PTU can be properly re-engineered by SS Autotech for $11k. But I appreciate that this is not the question you are asking...

The application of the NP warranty can be done at any time (even for cars which no longer have a warranty). However, my understanding is that if you renew inside the 60 day window before expiry then an inspection fee is not required as the warranty remains continuous. If you break the continuity (even by a day) then the car becomes liable for an inspection and they will sting you for the inspection fee and whatever remedial work needs done at inspection time as the car is technically no longer under warranty. I would tread extremely carefully if your intention is to maintain warranty continuity at minimal cost and get it to them and renewed before March 29th. That way, there is no risk of you being hit for remedial work because you ‘allowed’ the warranty to lapse.

What’s the April maintenance action that they want the car back for? Can it be deferred?

4. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks guys....The service advisor told me that the car needs to come in for an inspection and there is a fee (I think $200 or so). I was trying to avoid a trip as the car was just there in Dec.

"We’ve reached out to Ferrari North America on your behalf to see if there was a way around the New Power inspection process and unfortunately per FNA in order to enroll in that plan you will have to bring your vehicle into the dealership"

The open services are: Air Filter replacement, Auxiliary Belt change, & PTC Gear Oil change. It is my understanding these services remain open until complete but since it has to go for the inspection might as well get them done.

And I agree the warranty is probably a waste of money but I just don't fully trust the car.

5. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    If they just did regular maintenance why are there open maintenance items still? They should have taken care of all if that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good question and the answer is the car wasn't eligible for these in Dec....they open up on April 13th....My yearly maint got screwed up early on as the car was brought in early on the 60 day window a couple years ago....so these items lagged behind the usual yearly....the dealer should have been more proactive on timing all this but lets be honest they really don't care....

7. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Defer the open items to the next service in Jan 2022. Get the car in ahead of the 29 March deadline so that if they find any issues during the NP inspection then you are fully covered by the existing bumper to bumper warranty. You don't want the inspection done in April only to find remedial work is required and that they won't cover it because 'your warranty expired on the 29th of March sir'.

Nospinzone likes this.
  8. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good idea....that will be the plan