F355 Market | Page 193 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. avi

avi Rookie

Oct 5, 2020
    Almost 70k dollars for a almost 100k miles car is insane. I am thinking the engine will need a rebuild soon ? Plus the interior has nothing spectacular.

2. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Cars are way more robust and engines don’t need rebuild at 100k. Lots and lots of miles left. Yes, some need head work for a valve guide issue, but most have been done. Motors are solid. They all need to be driven more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avi and kryten2001 like this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    It appears all the high mileage 355’s are coming out of the woodwork to take some advantage of the limited supply and upward moving prices. Whereas a year ago, they might have struggled to get anything above $60k and at sub $60k, better to just keep it and keep racking the miles.

I think we’ll see some hot prices and movement this spring/summer. Perhaps higher than we’ve ever seen. People who have most of their cash tied in the markets, I believe many made drastic portfolio changes between March and May. Some, including myself, will want to wait until the year mark (for tax benefit purposes) before cashing out on some gains and deciding what they want to purchase.

Good 355’s were $90-100k cars pre-Rona. We have a Fed-induced asset bubble like we’ve never seen before. It is different this time.

Buckle up gentlemen. There’s going to be fireworks this summer and I ain’t talkin’ about July 4th :).

tres55 likes this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    F355 engines are high strung and high performance. We don’t have enough data as our cars don’t have enough miles racked up, but the few stories of owners having to undergo rebuild sub 100k miles does make you wonder.

I can only use the S2000 engine for comparison as it is also high strung high performance. They start to lose their juice at 125-150k miles and will need a rebuild.

*Unless you are John and don’t go over 6K ....

5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I can tell you the 355 engine can take a bunch. We never rebuilt the Challenge lower end from 2003-current. We did do the top end, but even that wasn't required, we were just chasing a couple HP during a competitive year. The engine would go months without running and then when you did it was getting hot and extended high RPM's. Being race bred as they are I might even say they are healthier like that than sitting around low RPM's cool. Italian tune up. ;)

7. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    They did a nice job on the wrap on the white one. I believe although it shows engine out less than 1,000 miles ago, that was five years ago.

tres55 likes this.
  8. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ok, good point. Way to many cars not driven. I would make an educated guess that those low mile cars that are driven more in coming years could have issues. Regularly exercised cars may fair better as they continue to age. A museum piece that stays a museum piece could continue to go up in value, but will also continue, to not be driven.

Driven cars may take a tangent value - lower - but still see a huge increase in overall pricing relative to base miles.....until such data starts to show failures. I will add, and not beating any horses, but how many have suffered catastrophic belt failure ;-)

Good to know about Challenge cars, I forgot about that point. Excellent info.

S2000 a reasonable comparison, but I will add they are more likely abused - tracked, hard driving, poor care in early years of use. Now, people appreciate the value and driving rewards.

All theory, but I tend to believe less wrenching equals more longevity due lower human error caveats. Belt service aside, my 25 years in the auto business can systematically show most failures were due to poor technicians allowed to address minor problems with huge consequences. If auto techs had to sign off like A&P’s maybe we would see a huge improvement in automotive reliability. Cost would increase 10 fold....

Anyway. Fun to talk about. I told friends I would not buy another Ferrari..... oops. My ZR1 was brutally fast. Dangerous even, but the 355 is not about speed as a whole, but the experiences getting there, using the gate and artistic presence the car exudes, just standing still! I have no problem pulling the cover off and just staring at it. No Corvette or Porsche can say that....

tres55 and ShineKen like this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You're starting to see the wisdom in that. :)

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I've only seen Bianco Avus on a 355.

355dreamer likes this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    EFerrari34, Laserman and carnutdallas like this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wow had no idea all those were available!

ShineKen likes this.
  15. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’m shocked Ferrari came up with 11 different shades of Blue.

17. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Is this the same japan F1 Berlinetta?

18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Nope. This one is probably a manual with black interior. But yes, another car in Japan.

tres55 likes this.
  19. CJA

CJA Karting

Nov 3, 2004
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The size difference between the two cars is amazing!

audi_328, ShineKen and carnutdallas like this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Damn. This is the first time I’ve heard my buddy say “maybe” in 10 years. Every other time I’ve asked the answer has always been “never.”

He has about 10 Ferraris and he’s my mechanic lol. He doesn’t lurk Fchat or post so I know he’s not reading any of this.

Here’s your chance to buy what might possibly be the ONLY White MANUAL F355 Berlinetta w/ Cuoio interior in the U.S. He’s moody too, so get him while he’s good :).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

carnutdallas likes this.
  21. avi

avi Rookie

Oct 5, 2020
  22. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Where do you find these pics? :D

I like that F1 you posted earlier.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    1999 F355 Spider Manual 13k Red/Tan

Read - Set - Go!

24. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Was one in Austin like that. Dash had bad pulling. $74k in 2018, and would deal.... $89k today if dash fixed, probably pretty firm.

rob lay likes this.
  25. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob