458 - 2012 458 crazy jerks/tugging during Upshifts and Downshifts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 2012 458 crazy jerks/tugging during Upshifts and Downshifts

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by simmadwn, Jul 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Sorry to hear your troubles, James. Hope everything gets sorted out soon and for good. While it’s always a nuisance to spend that kind of money on a car, at least take comfort in knowing that it’s best to spend that money on your esteemed exotic, than on a hospital bill. That’s how I deal with it.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

2. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Nuno - you the best brother!! Thanks for the comforting and kind words. You are so right, I literally thinking on the same lines yesterday ...thanks again brother...it’s people like you who keep this forum humble and real..much appreciated!!

Stay safe my friend!

James

3. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Can you provide any info on the reinforced part? I haven’t heard about that option before - and I just renewed my warranty out of fear of this very issue

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Sorry to hear this, when this happens it makes me happy I buy the power warranty every year.

simmadwn likes this.
  5. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Hello Friends,

Wanted to give an update on the car - its finally fixed!! ...San Francisco Motorsport in San Rafael, CA did a great job with turnaround and quality work.

Issue is not related to SAP as originally diagnosed based on error codes. Once the tranny was taken apart, the fork shift for 1&3 gear cluster was broken. This is the second time the shop is witnessing this broken piece. As per the shop, reason could be a design issue since driving style or age dont cause this failure.

This part is not sold separately and doesn’t have a prt number associated to it. SFM was able to source a Cali tranny and use the part for my car. While the tranny was out, speed sensors were bench tested and no errors, they organized the cabling inside to prevent any chaffing. Had a 40bar EDiff, changed it to 60bar as preventative maintenance. Car was wrapped up in less than 3weeks. They warranty their work for 1year.

Total cost came to $20k

Gearbox removal, reassembly - 12k
    Cali tranny - 4.3k
    EDiff - 2k
    Gearbox fluids, seals, parts etc - ~1k
    Battery, engine bonnet struts, tax and other miscellaneous- 1k
    Check discount brought the total to 20k

Car shifts smooth and feels new...haven’t driven it hard yet..to be honest, kinda scared if anything might happen...definitely left a bad taste.

Hopefully wont have to shell out anymore ...

Strongly recommend powertrain yearly warranty...could have saved me a lot of ...lesson learned!

Stay safe and healthy my friends!

James Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thank you very much for the update, James. Despite the expensive invoice, seems like your 458 was subjected to some quality treatment and the problem was properly addressed and taken care of for good.

It’s now time to rack up some serious and carefree miles!

Kindest regards and keep enjoying in good health.

Nuno.

SECRET and simmadwn like this.
  7. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks brother...plan is to drive it like I stole it

SECRET and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Sorry to hear this and glad it worked out. Not sure if you would have saved money with a power train warranty. The 7 year “warranty” is actually just a maintenance contract. The actual coverage to fix things that break is only either 2 years or 3. After that, power train coverage is around $5-6k per year. So 5 years x $5k is $25k since your car is a 2012. If nothing else breaks this year, you would be behind by $5k since your repair bill was $20k.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    This is the reason I love this forum...always providing a positive perspective ...thanks brother

10. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    James, congrats on getting the car fixed--those pictures look pretty gnarly. Hope it's trouble free from here on out!

simmadwn likes this.
  11. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Sucks you went through this, i also just went through a Trans headache (mine was the sensors, had to split it open and change all sensors $8K) your issue isn't very common though, first time i'm hearing of this happening, the good news is your car is on the road & you're enjoying it now! or so we assume, update us, how has it been?

12. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'm in the market for a 458, and wondering if the "Improved Model" is the '12 or '13.

13. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    damn a $30K bill you have a great (and admirable) attitude on this issue...bravo! enjoy the car

SECRET and technom3 like this.
  14. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Was 20k but still...YOLO! Could be worse my friend...still ticking through COVID

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SECRET and DOWORKFCAR like this.
  15. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    no such thing as improved model, its all BS, 2010-2015 all faced the same problems..and they aren't many problems, the 458 is a solid car

Mikael-F360, xfrgtr and simmadwn like this.