Maserati Khamsin | Page 372 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello Roger,

Did you find the list with the 17 (12*052111 / 2*052117 / 3*X) cars online?
    Or was this the result of your digging and combining the input from multiple sources?

The car imported from the UK must be #234?
    See photos below, I think this is #234, first one 2015 Knokke Belgium, and the second one Gstaad 2020 (with the MGI text, the source is the Facebook page of the Gstaad Yacht Club).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That is indeed 234, which won best of show at KHAMSIN QUARANTA in June 2012.

It was brought there by Pascal a Belgian who lives in London and who actually started this thread, see post 1, 372 pages and 13 years back!

He sold it at the Bonhams Spa auction in May 2014 where a lady, from a racing family bought it. I am not sure if she is Belgian or Swiss, Belgian I think, only met her once very briefly, but she has residences in both countries and as you can see the car is registered in Switzerland.

Here it is at K40 during the Tour de Bourgogne and at the Chateau de Pommard winery.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

red27 and AMLC like this.
  3. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello AMLC
    Hello Marc

You are absolutely right about 234. That must be the car imported from the UK.
    But Marc, 1168 does not fit the info, as the car with initial swiss registration but US-VIN must be a 1976 model, so I suspect it is #1052.
    And the car imported from Italy is not clear at all, as it was first registered in 1979, that would leave a choice between 316, 326, 352, 354 and 388,
    but I cannot see which one.

As for the source of information; it is for free, updated every month or quarter, and online, just 4.7 million cars to go trough...
    apparently you may even ask for a specific statistic, with a little more info, at cost, using the mail address delivered on their site:

www.astra.admin.ch/astra/en/home/services/fahrzeuge/informationsprodukte.html

mail: [email protected]

Regards, Roger

AMLC likes this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That is a great resource to have and later this spring I do wish to contact them and don't mind paying a small fee if that helps.

1052 you are probably right, we have both seen that car at Limacher's in Horw (Lucerne) , it was there the first time I visited in 2007, a bit tired. It got redone in subsequent years. All photos are from after the redo except the second photo where it still has its US rectangular indicators. That one is taken at Limacher's the others in a dealership not that far.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    Hi
    I own 381 and that looks like my car. I still have that sticker on the windscreen! good spot.

6. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    Hello fellow K people. I have been away for a while on here but still have 381. I have been chopping and changing my collection of old cars of late. Now got a 4200GT Manual too. Plus other older cars.

I have a few tech questions. I suspected my car had a coolant leak, which we thought was from around the water pump. We have stripped all that and refurbishing that. I was looking to cover all bases and possibly change the radiator. I had it recored some years ago but am not sure about the work. it wa done by a local garage. Looking through the radiator it looks like very few tubes. Does anyone know the original specification and tubes/fins count?
    I recall back in 2012 Graeme had put an aluminium Radiator in saying there was about 30% improvement. I have read various views and articles on line on this. Any views on swapping for an aluminium radiator. I was also thinking of upgrading the fans to ones with higher air flow. I appreciate there must be balance to allow the air sufficient time to actually have effect.

Again any views or experts?

Regards

Paul

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Paul,

welcome back here you will find great tech expertise.

Do remember that after discussing the symptoms at length we had concluded that in your case porosity was a possible cause. It is not unprecedented in these. Do not dismiss it otherwise you might circle the pot forever.

Here is a great photo of 381 by you so people can see which one we are talking about.

33guana, 71Satisfaction and red27 like this.
  8. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Want to install Spal fans on the K---one of the most useful things I ever did for the Bora.
    Anybody who could advise which model Spal/mounting bracket kit etc they used?
    Thanks.

9. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  10. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    rga likes this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Roger AMLC,

Interesting and most likely correct, here another 2 photos of it one taken at the same time as the one you show and one taken in Tuscany.

It was new to Germany and had the rear non transparent panel. Showing it passed TUV new in the Munich area where the TUV inspectors had a "grosse allergie" to the rear vertical glass.

It then showed up around 2013 in an ad in a French website, the German owner had a villa in the south of France and sold it from that address.

It showed up unexpected at the Chantilly Concours in 2014 so unexpected that the French Maser club president was upset at this unannounced squatter car in his reserved area...well I found out whose it was and told him it is the car of Patrick P. the actual organiser of the Chantilly Concours, Le Mans Classic, Tour Auto etc!

PP then had it restored in Portugal with rear glass brought to standard and color changed to light green a factory color though my notes state it was born silver. The interior was also redone in red. Photos I took at Chantilly 2019.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

33guana, 71Satisfaction and rga like this.
  12. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    #9287 boralogist, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Hey---
    For many many years Pleiades in UK has been my go-to source for all things Citroen LHM---except of course for my friend Maurice in NZ for the Bosch switches/rams.
    With Brexit---as UK tries to commit economic suicide---I sadly need an EU source to replace Pleiades.
    Who is the best of the very the best on the Continent---and---can comfortably communicate in English???

Thanks.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #9288 Nembo1777, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    www.blondeau-ds.fr

For all Citroen hydraulic matters. They have served LHM Maserati owners.

Near Paris, English spoken.

Chaosxit is only just beginning, Andy Heywood of McGrath's Maserati told me this week some companies have given up on shipping until they are informed by authorities how to do it. Don't hold your breath...but let's remain on topic please.

Boralogist if you need further expertise I know more people and companies here, all top notch.

boralogist likes this.
  14. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Thanks Marc!:)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    The photo below is from the Facebook page of Classiche Masters (I just assumed that it is allowed to repost it here on this Maserati forum), showing three Khamsins at McGrath´s.

I think I recognize #415 (red) and #411 (dark blue) but not sure about the dark red one, is it #425?

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #9291 Nembo1777, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Hello AMLC,

Yes I believe it is fine to repost it here.

The whole Classiche Masters adventure was an intense blurr and it is the fastest I have ever produced a book in just one year because the publishers were in a hurry. Normally it is three years for a book with deep research and interview transcripts. Some people I have co authored with on another took...twelve years to get their end finished and still did it wrong (no further mention don't ask please). Of all the travel in 2019 visiting top Maserati restoration workshops for CM the most amazing day for me was that one, late April 2019 at McGraths, the preeminent UK classic Maserati workshop, because there were no less than FIVE Khamsins there which is a record in one workshop at least since the early 80's.

Then add to that the fact that they were ALL cars I had never seen in person AND that two of them I knew nothing about...Yes; it was probably the best day I will ever have for the Khamsin Registry (apart of KHAMSIN CINQUANTA in 16 months, June 16-19 2022) where there should be quite a few I have never seen in person).

I actually made special files to slowly present these cars here but never found a moment to get around to it so thanks for prompting me: here is this one the others will slowly follow.

You are correct the dark red one is 425.

It was owned in the 80's by Perry Aldred who made it available for a couple of articles such as in the May 1988 edition of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars magazine and the March 1989 edition of Classic and Sportscar.

Sold 2014 via McGraths, here are some of their ad text notes from back then:

First registered in September 1981, this right hand drive car (one of 70) has been with the same owner since 1985 (the last of four) and has even today only covered 18,000 miles from new.

PET 2X was for a while a well-known car, being featured in the May 1988 edition of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars magazine and the March 1989 edition of Classic and Sportscar.

As one might expect, this is a matching numbers car in extremely original condition including its original colour scheme of Rosso Rubino and parchment Connolly hide. The only modification is the replacement of the alcantara panelling on the dashboard with some high quality burr walnut panels, done in period by this enthusiastic owner.

Alas, since the late 1990s the car has seen very little use but has been carefully stored. Structurally sound, it naturally it requires re-commissioning but offers the opportunity to maintain its originality or restore the paintwork and interior depending on how the new owner views it.

Bill McGrath himself inspected this car for the current owner prior to his purchase and looked after the car while it was in use, including overseeing fitment of a stainless steel exhaust system.

Ed of quote.

It seems from my photos that the wooden dashboard was being deleted for a normal configuration.

Interestingly the Classic cars May 1988 article with 425 was a comparison with other GT cars on and near Silverstone circuit: Iso Lele,308GT4, E type Porsche Turbo and Aston Vantage in which all owners drove each others cars. Well most of the other others were very impressed by the Khamsin and wanted one:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AMLC likes this.
  17. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Only 18000 miles on #425, I didn't expect that, somehow I had the impression from the articles that Perry Aldred drove more than that.

I see now that the car next to #425 is not dark blue but brown, so not #411. I suppose it’s #337.

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Would appreciate a photo of one of the rear tail light boxes of a European car (not a converted USA car). I am specifically looking for where the tail light electrical wires exit the box. Do the wires exit the bottom or the back of the box? Towards the glass or towards the rear? A photo taken from the inside of the trunk showing this area would be appreciated.

Ivan

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Close: it is not 337 but 335. Will share photos and data of the "tow hook ex Hong Kong car" later.

Ivan; the wires exit vertically downwards not right up against the glass but about one centimeter from it. They exit from the bottom of the box cover not from the exposed back. I have almost 8000 photos but the angle you ask for (from inside the trunk) is not a photo that gets taken unless someone can do it specially for you now. Here are photos of RHD car 411 by Zdenek: most such photos have reflection on the glass making the wire invisible but the tip photo you can see it very well. In the second one too, note that they don't go down from the same spot:) It is an Italian car from the seventies not a Japanese space ship! This is however a good car, correct.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thank you! Now for the next question .... how was the box covered? Mousehair?

Ivan

21. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Ivan,

I think it’s the same mouse hair as the dash panels in my car. I’ll grab some pics on Saturday for you unless someone else answers before then

cheers

Bal

Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Hello Ivan,

the covers are made of grey Thermoplastic, covered with velours fabric (lets call it mouse hair, but different from the ferrari mouse hair). Sewed on all 4 edges. It has 2 approx. 30mm diameter and 10mm round recesses for the M6 olive headnuts.

The hole for the wiring at the bottom is oval not round. Attached another picture in addition to Marcs picture from outside. Hope this may helpful.

Best Regards
    Marek

khamsin433 and Nembo1777 like this.
  24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thank you to all the responded, this is exactly what I needed.

Ivan

25. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Hi All, I’m collecting parts for my restoration. I’ve ordered all the suspension parts from Chris at McGraths. He’s been super helpful but there are a couple of parts he cannot get. The front tie rods and rear shock absorbers. Does anyone know of a supplier for the tie rods.

I will probably get the rear shocks rebuilt. Any leads for people who could do this in the UK would be gratefully received.

Thanks