Young people driving ferraris/other exotics | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Young people driving ferraris/other exotics

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dr. K, Feb 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    i was going to answer the first line, with what you said in the second line
    i remember they were cheap as can be,,,, i would not want one now or then. in my opinion

2. zhangster

zhangster Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Somewhere in the country
    Full Name:
    Chris Z
    Paulchua you're absolutely correct. Conclusions about people based on appearance can be mistaken. We still do it, why? Because we can't possibly spend the necessary time to fully understand every single person we meet. It's not a very politically correct thing but animals and humans alike have to rely on their instincts sometimes as self preservation and other times just to save the time and energy. Again, nothing wrong with "trust fund" young guys. As Milton Friedman argues, the ability to leave one's wealth to their offspring is a stronger force that drives prosperity than one's own selfish desires. I've met many of these young guys who are very decent people.

JonnySK, paulchua, x z8 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Christian_C

Christian_C Rookie

May 18, 2018
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Christian Cipriani
    My only gripe with young people and exotic cars is the number of them on Instagram who say "look what we just collected" and "another addition to my stable" without being transparent about the fact that it's their dad's collection. I find that a little cringe-worthy. Here in Miami, I can name a laundry list of scions who really don't work and present themselves as Ferrari collectors/owners, but the truth is that they haven't spent a day in their lives doing the work required to own a Ferrari.

vraa, Altoria F, Dr. K and 4 others like this.
  4. Cool Runnin'

Cool Runnin' Karting

Apr 13, 2008
    FL
    Bought my first Ferrari at 34 with my own money. Probably gonna buy another one now that I'm old.

paulchua and x z8 like this.
  5. michaelr

michaelr Rookie

May 18, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Michael Riccioni
    Like a lot of people here, I mean I got my R8 when I was 32, then my 458 @ 35. I do get looked at when i'm driving it as if i'm a daddys money boy, when it's all my own doing, but I think you are bound to get that regardless. Especially in the current climate. I mean my other car for the dog is a Kia Ceed Estate so I drive both end's of the spectrum :)

In regards to those young people writing it off etc, I mean yes that's why i'd never be one of these who hires their car out. I am used to driving a powerful car, I know how to handle it and I don't show off in it so my main concern normally when driving is someone crashing into me. Most expensive cars I see wrote off are people messing about or not knowing what to do / how to handle it.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  6. Matteo165

Matteo165 Rookie

Aug 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matteo Gruelle
    Agree with tons of comments here. This is such a great group of guys!

I too share in some worry because the newer exotics are just so damn fast and I don't want them killing my family or themselves. I am 40 and remember thinking a 944 turboS or a 993 Porsche 911 Turbo was "peak" street car speed... now well...

BUT it is good that there are still young guys into cars; the issue with the smartphone kids is that they love UBER and look at cars as transport only. I fired an intern until he got his drivers license, he was 18 and didn't see a reason to have it! I was in line and had all my documents ready to go the day I turned 16.

Leaned stick on a Lancia in Italy at 12 years old. Parents were self-made and as such very parsimonious with money. 1st cool car was defender 90 (I live in Pittsburgh give me a break) then a 71 Rolls Royce and then at 30 I bought a 550 - Still have it, a gated 6 speed and I loved writing the check! Your first car is like the first girl you loved; an experience that you won't forget. I hope these young guys buy these cars because I think they will see the craft of being an enthusiast and expand their tastes into our cars as well (older sports and classics.)

My two sons love cars and at 3 & 5 we drive on private or country roads with them on my lap. That is what started the bug in me, on Dad's lap while he ripped a Merit Ultra Light cigarettes in his Mercury, bench seat and a hood as long as a runway strip. Man those were great memories.

Sorry for the long thread here a great conversation as always guys! Cheers

7. Jon Christy

Jon Christy Rookie

Apr 16, 2020
    Anaheim, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jon Christy

8. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I let my 15-yo daughter drive my F430 when she had her learner’s permit. She loved it, and I would have no problem letting her drive it on her own.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Fly fast and take chances

ShineKen, paulchua and ttforcefed like this.
  9. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    As long as anyone at any age doesn’t drive like a crazy one, it doesn’t matter to me. Young age can’t help it though especially in a fast car, I remind my sons we are on public roads and it only takes one error in judgement. Easier to get used to the scene though if you spend some time in Silicon valley or one of the emirates.

paulchua likes this.
  10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Thinking about this thread made me remember a time when I was at Shelton Ferrari.

We had a Brasilian kid who's parents bought him a 355 for his very first car at 16. I remember thinking he would kill himself in it as I know I would have at that age. Lol, my kid is getting my beater truck. I think it's important for him to work his way up. I see lots of rich kids here with brand new BMW's and Mercedes as their first cars. Sadly it doesn't seem appreciated and only feeds their entitlement.

One only has to take a trip to Mizner or the Boca mall to see how bad it gets.

JCR, Lusso123 and x z8 like this.
  11. Lacy h Edwards

Mar 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lacy Edwards
    If I see someone mid 30's or older I assume they are doing well and, like me, love Ferrari's and happy to be ableto afford one. If I see someone younger I assume it belongs to their dad and that they are lucky to have a cool dad who will let them drive it. I have daughters in thier 20's and 30's and I love seeing them driving mine. I especially love the reaction from others when they see a pretty young lady driving it.
    A lesson I learned years ago, not long after I bought my frst Ferrari, is all that attention is entirely about the car and has nothing to do with the driver!

EnzoItaly, Schultz and paulchua like this.
  12. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    I applaud them, there are way more young millionaires now than before do to tech. I got my first 911 when I was 18 and always had a Porsche throughout before getting a Ferrari. I believe hard work does pay off.

paulchua, ZF123 and x z8 like this.
  13. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Here in Vancouver its not uncommon to see young people driving exotics. We have a large foreign student population. Most dealers that deal in exotics have a short term student lease program. It doesn't bother me seeing them driving around. Here if you get caught going over the speed limit by 40km/h's, the car gets impounded for 7days. New drivers have to put a "N" placard on the back of their car. Warns you they are a new driver. The paper has stories of N drivers driving well above the 40k limit over the speed limit in exotic cars. That ticks me off.

paulchua likes this.
  14. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    People generally have more respect for those that earned their wealth/ good fortune than those that were given it through inheritance.

Why? Generally it takes hard work and perseverance to earn your own way- not so much with inheritance or gifts.

paulchua likes this.
  15. chyldahl

chyldahl Rookie

Feb 13, 2021
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Hyldahl
    #65 chyldahl, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    I grew up in a small town in Michigan. Never did I see a Ferrari. When visiting my uncle in San Diego I would swoon over whatever Ferrari he had that year. My entire childhood I lusted over owning one myself (never a Lamborghini, Bentley, etc.). Long story short, my first Ferrari was an FF when I was 36. I'm now 41 and have a GTC4 Lusso and a 575M Maranello. It was and still is a passion. Regarding "kids" driving exotics, I agree with the masses that it's more about how they drive rather than what they drive, and who paid for it. As they say, "money can't buy class"... nor can age. I now live in Malibu, California where you see the most rare exotics driven by all ages, and love it. Work hard, play hard!

paulchua likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’d not take chances with my kids lives though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lusso123 likes this.
  17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    agree, 15 yr old alone cld be bad. girls are more responsible than boys at that age but not worth the risk

vraa, Lusso123, ZF123 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    I’m 22 and have a 360 Spider. I know the OP said 200k plus exotics, but here’s my input anyway. I’ve been very blessed with my family situation, but nothing has been handed to me. When people ask how I got the car at such a young age, I’m completely honest and tell them I work my butt off and have ownership in my family’s businesses (not the same thing as having daddy’s money handed to you!) Also it’s a salvage title car that I personally put hundreds of hours of rebuild work into in order to achieve a dream at a young age.

I get all the stupid comments like “he must be up to something shady, must be his dad’s car, has to be a rental”..... and so on. I try to brush this stuff off without giving back a smart answer, since I’m not trying to prove anything. Fortunately I’ve found that the vast majority of people have a positive reaction to me and the car and most times are just blown away to see a Ferrari on the road. I live in a relatively small town lol.

I don’t post about the car on social media, as I’m not driving it to flaunt my lifestyle. I’m driving the car because I enjoy the Ferrari brand, passion, and driving experience. In fact, I usually shy away from even telling people that I own the car.

Just my personal perspective from a young age. Take it or leave it. We’re not all spoiled rich kids or software geniuses. I work on dirty construction projects all day and my car restoration projects at night. I just do whatever it takes to achieve my dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That’s how fast those can get you in trouble. It’s not just the speed ; it’s experience of driving conditions, cold tarmac, tires etc. It doesn’t take much to lose control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lusso123 likes this.
  20. Molto Buona

Molto Buona Rookie

Oct 10, 2014
    So as a car guy I am thrilled to see younger adults embracing what we all love! As a person I am happy someone is fortunate enough to get to have that great experience (although my reaction is mixed with initial skepticism if it is earned and owned, i.e. "all hat, no cattle")!

As an adult, I worry for them ... It's important to have things to look forward to in life, aspirational fun things, when you get too much too soon it skews life, your expectations, and often your character measurably. Social media adds another negative affect compounding it all.

EnzoItaly, x z8 and paulchua like this.
  21. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Ok now ,everyone on this post please tell us"what do you do for a living"-lol.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    LandandcarsAZ, Schultz and vraa like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Excellent perspective. Also goes to show you can't judge a person simply by the car they drive. (assuming they are NOT driving like a moron).

Aeron Fout likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've seen this. It's an interesting sight to behold in Vancouver. As long as they drive courteously, I don't know if the Asian youngster is a maxi pad or max cool.
    I've run into both archetypes and everything in between.

Until one can at least break bread - I would caution against any prejudice. This is coming from an Asian growing up relatively low. Though I argue living in America or other 1st world countries is like winning the lottery in life (more in P&R.)

Cheers

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful car and I echo the sentiments with my own 2 daughters.

SingleClutch likes this.