355 - Tips on rear bumper-to-body gap alignment? | FerrariChat

355 Tips on rear bumper-to-body gap alignment?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Targatime, Feb 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I cannot seem to get the left side bumper aligned correctly so that there is a consistent gap between the bumper and body in the area behind the left rear wheel. My car is original and undamaged. I installed the bumper by putting the 17mm nuts barely finger tight (while pressing up on the bumper for a nice tight fit), then installing the 13mm nuts and plate in the rear wheel wells while pushing up on the forward ends of bumper.

The right side is perfect, the center section (below the tail lights) is perfect, but the left side has a gap that widens as it runs toward the rear wheel, and despite everything being tight, I can still push it up to close the gap. I've loosened, pushed, and re-tightened several times. I can tighten the 13mm nuts with the gap perfect, and when I release pressure with my hand, the gap reappears despite tight nuts. Am I missing something here?

I'll post some pics tonight.

2. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    I cut a bunch of strips of heavy cardboard from the same sheet with close enough gapping to place between the bumper and the rear quarters as well as the rear grill. I tighten it down with cardboard in place then back off / adjust until i can just slide the cardboard out.

Targatime likes this.
  3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    From your description it sounds like you're doing it correct.
    If the Gap increases as it gets closer to the wheel, you should be able to just loosen those 13 mm bolts and push the bumper up and tighten them down.

The only thing I can imagine otherwise is maybe you're shooting for two small of a gap overall.
    I would estimate the gap should be about 8-10 mm, maybe try matching the rest of the gap to the largest gap You are achieving at that wheel?

And if worse comes to worse, remember the gap is just produced by oval-shaped holes, you could always make the ovals bigger. But there's got to be enough play without doing that in my opinion

Targatime likes this.
  4. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm....I think this might be the right answer. I've been basing my expectation for the gaps behind the wheels on how tight the gap can be along the taillight section. But that gap can be made almost nonexistent. So I guess I need to loosen everything up a little and even it all out. Thank you guys, you live and you learn.

5. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Drive it to my place in Glendale I’ll help u if it does not get resolved before then

Steve

6. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Steve -- appreciate it. Pretty sure I'm all set.