Should I replace headers on my 2008 F430 | FerrariChat

Should I replace headers on my 2008 F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by 2008F430, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2008 F430 with 6,200 miles on it. This is my first Ferrari and I didn’t do as much research as I have on other car purchases. I think this was mostly due to COVID cabin fever. Anyway, I have a few questions I am hoping you guys can help with. The previous owner installed a S-Line exhaust on the car that has that great Ferrari sound. When I spoke with the dealer I did bring up the header issues and he said that all of that was addressed. From what I can tell, it looks like the new part of the exhaust was installed after the headers and cats. So I wanted to get some opinions from some experts. Was the dealer talking about the “newer” headers that I believe came on models starting in 2008. Or, is he talking about the new S-Line that has a different mount which I think allows for some movement. Main question is do you think I still need to upgrade the headers or am I safe with what I have? I wouldn’t really want it any louder or to change the tone. It really does sound fantastic.

Second question. I have an occasional rattling sound that seems to come from under the dash. After doing some research on this site, it seems like I probably have some worn ball joints. Do any of you know if the certified pre-owned warranty will cover this? The warranty does say “suspension arm joints” are covered.

Last question. Maybe I am just paranoid but, it seems like the F1 pump comes on too often. Does anyone know how many times you can shift before it should come on again. It’s hard to hear but I would say it comes on every three times I shift on average.

Other than these small projects I am loving the car. After owning Several 911’s I am really impressed with the difference in the driving experience. The car handles great and is just more exciting to drive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

janmante, efg2014, Pedro MD and 2 others like this.
  2. zboost300

zboost300 Karting

Jan 27, 2019
    Awesome!

I just got mine as well and ordered the S-line exhaust last week.

Can be honest I think the dealer just told you that to tell you that. If you replace the factory manifolds with aftermarket headers it will be louder. I don't know if the brackets on the s line will help with the cracking issue on the factory manifolds, I doubt it.

As for the F1 pump, count how long it takes to cycle at idle in neutral. I just replaced my accumulator because of that same issue.

The pump went from cycling every 30-40 seconds at idle to cycling every 2-2.5 minutes with the new accumulator.

Think of the accumulator as a maintenance item, because it has an internal bladder will degrade over time mostly irrelevant of mileage. At 10+ years old I would say the bladder has lost some pressure same as mine was.

3. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Thanks. I will check it tomorrow at idle. I would check it tonight but that exhaust will wake up all my neighbors! Lol

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    This car is similar to mine, ball joints wear out very quick and are a diy job if you are handy on the tools. Jack the front of the car up and hold wheels at 3 and 9 o clock, see if any movement or slack in steering track rod ends. Nor remove the front wheels and see if you can find any movement in the upper and lower ball joints.
    Similar idea on the rear with the tie rod ends and ball joints

5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Not sure I'd pro-actively replace the manifolds if they are MKII and MKII brackets, which an 08 should be. Without the factory exhaust and using the X-Pipe, you are missing about 60+ more pounds hanging off the manifold so the chance of cracking should be slim, plus if you ever sell your car to someone in California, they would have an issue with aftermarket headers and passing inspection. I have an 09 with the Fabspeed X-Pipe and my plan if I ever hear the dreaded clicking of a cracked manifold is to replace them with F430 challenge manifolds which remove the internal cat but look factory and are about 1/2 the price of new manifolds.

6. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Is there a way that I can tell if they are MKII?

7. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    From what I have read, all 2008 F430's came with the Mk II headers
    I disagree with Corey stating missing 60 pounds of weight hanging off manifold so chance of cracking is slim. It is not the weight causing the cracking but the lack of thermal expansion of the entire exhaust due to the OEM hard brackets.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id change them cuz thats how im wired. pretty sure MKIIs have cracked if you search the board.

9. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    My late 08 had the original headers replaced due to cracks. I think at less than 10,000 miles....but would have to look at my records. I’ve installed the Capristo brackets to hopefully avoid having that happen again.

10. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    So I got some time to see how often the pump comes on after I crank it. About 2 minutes so I feel good about that. I guess I will let it ride for now and work on replacing the ball joints.

11. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    wait until they burn thru, you will have to change them, they all fail with miles, no matter mark 1 or 2

12. Metalguru

Metalguru Rookie

May 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Paul Brewer
    Does anyone know what alloy the factory manifolds are made from?

13. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I would replace them NOW I bought some nice low-end headers on ebay , got a catless resonated ( a short glass pack section ) test pipes and will soon make new muffler/ straight pipe fabrication ( w/ valves ) yes even the MK 2 can fail !
    yes it will be louder ! so what ?
    keep the stock system for when you sell the car . !

Attached Files:

14. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    buy the scud swiss electronic F-1 pump relay it will help,NOT cheap !

15. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Going 6 speed so if someone needs to buy a F1 pump relay let me know.

janmante likes this.
  16. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    doesn't it ( the pump ) also actuate, feed the E# diff ? or is it electric ? ( or are you going to fit one of his Scud swiss new "Turn off the E -diff relays and switches ! )

17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I tried glass packed resonated pipes. I got a lot of bad comments about the sound. (not the volume) Didn't like the sound myself either. Deeper sound, not high pitch. Switched to sports cats. and much better and lots of great comments. In general I would say glass packed suits muscle cars, but not our cars. Just my opinion and quite a few others.

janmante likes this.
  18. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    #18 janmante, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    yes , well it is an experiment it IS said to deepen the tone and the glass packing should burn out , it always does ! I don't get the hight pitched mania ! we don't want cats of any type and don't have to have them.so NO cats ! if it sounds bad ? , we will offer it up for sale and just buy some Capristo test pipes . we have no emissions or physical inspections ! registered for life in Montana for $500
    the AFTERMARKET headers should make it louder too ! and using Capristo valveless muffler now tho will make new scud type muffler/X pipes soon, yes, making one ! insane prices , thousands for something we can fab up , or have made locally for a few hundred $
    we made M/C systems for many years .mufflers are easy !
    thinking of buying the Capristo test pipes now in fact ! can always sell on esp if unused !