Correct pronunciation of 'Scuderia' | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Correct pronunciation of 'Scuderia'

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by modena, Jul 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ripped Fat

Ripped Fat Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Both your interpretations are quite incorrect. You do not speak the language fluently - I don't know you but this much is obvious so you should refrain from commentating with any authority.

There is absolutely no "duh" in Scuderia. It's more like the 'e' in "death".

And there is certainly no long "O" on Modena. I can't think of a sound in English that captures it but a long "O' is not it.

2. Ripped Fat

Ripped Fat Karting

Oct 28, 2010
  3. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Oblong

Obvious

Obtuse

Mob

Slob

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As a general rule of thumb, in Italian the emphasis is on the next to last syllable.

skoo de REE a

5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The late Harold TC Angel always pronounced it "Racing Department".

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Osteria anyone?

7. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Based on the Italian I've been taught and what I hear my friends say, I think you're quite a bit off.

While it's true that an American "long O" isn't quite correct, it's certainly closer than the "O" sound in "obvious" or "mob" that you're recommending.

In other words the first syllable of Modena doesn't quite rhyme with the "mow" as in "mow the lawn", but it's not far off especially if you (properly) put the accent on the first syllable but without drawing out the "O" sound too much.

If, however, you rhyme the first syllable with "mod" as in the TV series "Mod Squad", then you will be less correct.

8. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    Okay, let's get on with _rampante_ or, how about _cavallino_?

As do a few other people on the forum I do speak Italian, this has been, while not informative for the most part, it's certainly been amusing.

9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes, amusing, and I also speak a little Italian, being 50% on my mothers side. (Which ends up being more like 75% in reality ;) The O in Modena is a little more rounded like "golf" without the L. Look at some old maps of Italy with Genova, Mantova, and Modena on it ;) Try and pronounce the other ones correctly then ;) And how about Gallardo? Yeah I know it's not a Ferrari. But OMG, I could not believe that Tanner Foust from the US Top Gear show insisted on saying "Gai(y)ardo" like it was some kind of Spanish or French car with two Ls and an extra I in it. God help us! On global TV? Why not listen to the man himself talk about his Balboni edition?

Listen at timing 1:51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2iq9qcHHrU

I have studied diction in 3 European languages for singing and one main thing to remember is to avoid dipthongs from the American accent, especially when there is only one vowel. So just a pure O and not OO-uuu ... "y'all." :D

10. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    I have been fortunate enough to live and work in Italy off and on over the past 30 years.

I first learned Italian in the south, not always the best place to pick up the most "desirable" accent, but then I had the good luck to edit an international magazine out of Milan for a number of years. For the most part, today, I have a Milanese accent... ya'll...

11. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

I just make it simple "Scud".

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    When I was skiing in Cortina last winter, I started feeling ill, probably because I drank water instead of wine.

At one point, my hot little Italian girlfriend asked "You have Ski Diarrhea?"

I thought she was asking about my Ferrari...

Ciao!

Hannibal

13. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Your argument has a weakness. It may be true that an Italian sounds the "L"s while Tanner Foust substitutes a "Y" sound (Spanish style), but that is not the whole story.

Go to Google Translate and type in Gallardo on the left side and select English. Then first select Spanish on the right side and click on the speaker icon. Next select Italian, click the speaker icon, and listen to the difference. If I understand what you're saying, that's roughly the difference you're talking about.

Consider the Ferrari California. It's built in Italy where the first "i" in "California" is pronounced as a long "e", sort of like the way Schwarzenegger pronounces it. Should Americans pronounce it that way or should they pronounce it the way it's pronounced by most Californians with a short "i"? Or, should both ways be considered correct? In other words, just because it's built in Italy doesn't mean Italians know how to pronounce the name of that particular western state; or do they since they are indeed speaking Italian, not "American"? It can be argued either way.

To use another example, I've been to Paris countless times. As an American should I use an "s" at the end or try to emulate the French with a long "e" at the end. Or, since I live in Italy, should I call it "Parigi"?

Back to Gallardo. Yes, it's built in Italy, but the cars are named after Spanish fighting bulls. So which is correct; the Italian way or the Spanish way? Or are both correct? And does that depend on where you live or does it depend on your nationality?

I'm not convinced that "God help us" is the proper assessment of the way Tanner Foust (and many others) pronounce the name of an Italian car named after a Spanish animal. Why is surprising that the Italian automobile builders simply don't know (or choose not to use) the proper Spanish pronunciation of a Spanish bull?

14. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    I don't think there's necessarily one and only one proper pronunciation, but it's annoying as it gets when you pull up in one and are talking with someone about your car, and you pronounce it one way, then they pronounce it another (non-ferrari owner), almost questioning how you pronounce what your car is.

:) :)

15. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Well, in Gallardo the double LL in Spanish is pronounce as a J in English. Like in word Jar or the name Jasmine for example.

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, from a french point of view…as for “Paris”:
    Splitting hairs in four, I would say that it depends whether you want to sound french (for whatever reason) or not, but usually we don’t mind it that much.
    And we should not, because in French you almost never use the original name of a town in its initial language, but a translation or a “francisation”: thus “Modena” is “Modène” in french; “Pisa” is “Pise”; “Lucca” is “Lucques”, “Roma” is “Rome”, etc…
    It is valid for other countries than Italy, too: “London” is always “Londres”; “München” is “Munich”; “Aachen” is “Aix-la-Chapelle”, etc…(and OF COURSE “New-Orleans” is “La Nouvelle-Orléans”)
    So yes: in french you do not pronounce the “s” at the end of Paris; but furthermore to sound really french you then must pronounce the “a” dry, as we do, which should be much more difficult for any American (not to speak of the french pronounciation of the “u” which, when mastered, really is the sign of advanced french pronounciation).
    So pronounce “Paris” as you like, we shouldn't feel insulted at all (and furthermore, ex F-8 jockeys got a special “wave-off”, so to speak…).

In France as in most European countries, you may encounter strong differences in pronounciation from one region to another; listening to a typical Alsatian and a typical Provencal may have you wonder if some words are indeed the same (and I leave the different “patois” aside).
    You may, as a frenchman, be hurt more by one of your kinfolks with an incorrect prononciation, because he is supposed to know. For instance, I was born near the city of Metz, which has been annexed by Germany twice (1870-1918; 1940-1944) ; as a custom towards this part of history, we locals never, ever use the german pronounciation of the name, where you pronounce both “t” and “z”; we pronounce it “Mess”. If I heard it pronounced the german way, but by a frenchman, I consider this as offensive; but if pronounced the german way by a German, no harm is done.

Those of you knowing Italy (or should it be “Italia”?) know of course that pronounciation varies a lot between Tuscany, Lombardy, Emilie-Romagne, etc…(even words do change, and you have also local dialects) so is it really something as one single correct pronounciation for “Modena” or “Scuderia”? I’ll ask my Italian friends if there is any accepted standard of pronounciation…

Ciao.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Remember that this car, like most Lamborghini models, was named for a Spanish bull, or, in this case, a breed of bull. I agree with Tanner!

But what always bugged me was the usual mispronunciation of "Murcielago". While I don't show it here, there is an accent over the "e". It's there for a purpose, people! And, of course, it was named for a bull:

Murciélago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

18. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
  19. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    In Texas it would be "screw diarrhea"

ShineKen likes this.
  20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The correct Italian American pronunciation is Skoo-dah. Much like Moots-a-dell or Reh-gott. Fane-gool - that's a nice cah!

Nospinzone likes this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A Cadillac? Fuggedaboudit!

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  22. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    So does pizza come from a pete-ZER-ya?

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    SCOOO-DAAA-REEEE-AAAA!!! Say with some punch behind it..

24. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sadly, these days the proper pronunciation is:

mid-field-also-rans

Perhaps this season will revert to a better pronunciation.