Rapid Beeping Sound (during Start-up System Check) Disappeared (?) | FerrariChat

Rapid Beeping Sound (during Start-up System Check) Disappeared (?)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Mirek, Feb 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Hey guys, the battery in my 456M remote died so I changed it.

But now I no longer get the “rapid beeping sounds” when I run the “system check” with the key in the #1 position (prior to starting). The sounds normally end when the system check ends and then I start the car.

What gives ? Do you guys have that rapid beeping before you start the car ?
    I checked both keys/FOBs (?)

Any thoughts ?

2. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    My 550 makes the noise. With the door closed, it lasts around 5 seconds and stops shortly before "Check OK" is displayed. With the door open, the tone continues, but the frequency changes after the first 5 seconds.

Mirek likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I can't find any reference to a buzzer (or segnalatore acustico) in the 456 and 550 parts manuals. These warning buzzers seem only to be found on US cars and most of the wiring diagrams refer to the Euro cars.

Whereabouts does the sound come from? In the instrument binnacle? Under the dash? In the passenger footwell?

4. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    The rapid beeping came from In/around the Instrument binnacle with the key in position JUST before ignition was engaged (while cycling through the various checks). Now I hear a sound but very very faintly. I think it is an issue, before it was a very audible series of fast beeps in succession until the system check was finished.

Which way is normal ? Not a lot of inside start video’s.

456M GTA

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #5 Qavion, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    On the non-M car, there is a buzzer which seems to be mounted in the passenger footwell

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Part number is 61830700. It may not be available new (I see the used price is more than the published new price, a good sign that it is NLA).

If the 456 is the same, check for water ingress. You can probably pull the cover off and check for broken circuit board tracks, etc.

(EDIT: I see the USA/Canada/Japan version of is module is not like a relay, but like a mini-speaker)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ferrari-328-Others-Seat-Belt-Warning-Buzzer-Part-61830700-/121687897325

It looks like the same warning module as the ones found on 348's, 355's, etc. The Euro versions are like relays and don't have the speaker function.

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    In both my euro 456M and my euro 550, the buzzer is on for about 5 seconds to tell you to put on your seat belt. If I put it on before I turn on the ignition, there is no buzzer at all because the belt is already on! Is that the one you are talking about? It has nothing to do with the system check!!

Mirek likes this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #7 Qavion, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Perhaps on the Euro 456M and 550 there are separate modules/circuits, but the circuits are not shown in the wiring diagrams. Does the Multifunction Display have an inbuilt buzzer? On the 456M Euro car, the wiring diagrams show the seat belt signal going from the driver's seat directly to the Multifunction Display.

For info (off topic):

The 456 (non-M) module with part number 61830700 is found on USA/Canada/Japan cars and has multiple functions (at least on the F355). It covers both the brake warning system (light test) during startup and the seat belt/door warning buzzer function.

I don't know complete internal circuitry, but it has 8 pins (although pin 7 has been removed).

1. door open input
    2. input from driver's seat belt lock
    3. power
    4. output to seatbelt warning light
    5. earth
    6. output to brake warning light
    7. -
    8. voltage from ignition lock in Start position

The Euro F355's have a different module, because there is no buzzer for seat belts.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The 550 WSM lists many of the inputs going into the Multifunction (digital) display module. One input is:

"Temperature selection/buzzer enabling (Gulf version) - analog"

If there is only one pin for both temperature selection and buzzer enabling, I can't see how both Euro and US cars can have buzzers.

F456M and Mirek like this.
  9. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Qavion, thanks for that dialed in information. I really appreciate you taking the time to post that up. Also, I do not get a seatbelt chime either but never did !

This occurred days after the shop pulled my fuse box to fix the fan relay/fuses when I was having my radiator repaired. Nuts.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #10 Qavion, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    I traced the wiring in the WSM for that pin on the Multifunction Display and it simply goes to the the Outside Air Temperature Pushbutton. I wonder if there is a "Gulf" version of Multifunction Display. The mystery deepens. Perhaps it's some secret Ferrari stuff that when you push the OAT button for a certain time period or in combination with something else, it enables the seat belt chime. Maybe there is some sort of programming.

I notice in photos of the Digitek Multifunction Display that there are no speaker grilles. If the speaker/s are in there, I guess we can assume the sounds go through the plastic.

Ignorance is sometimes bliss... but then things break :p

Some of those un-labelled pins are used for the "gear selected" display on the 456MGTA

11. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Totally weird. The beeping sound during the self check has now magically returned seemingly out of the blue. Lately my fob does not work for a few presses and then it will magically works on like try 6. I wonder if there is a relation.

These things....I tell ya’

F456M and Qavion like this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Indeed.

I basically knew nothing about the startup check on the M car and 550's until yesterday, so I'll have to do some reading. Maybe the Multifunction display needs an input from the immobiliser, but what data it's looking for and on what pin remains to be seen. Does the startup buzzer continue until the car is actually started or does it time out?

13. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    It will time out after a set amount of time.

The multi-display may indeed require “something” from the fob. I changed both fob batteries and used both keys yesterday to no avail...no sound/“very faint” background sound. Today, I tried both fobs (and keys) and full robust beeping protocol for the duration of the system check. Then I start the car.

Note that I can always disrupt the beeping protocol at any point by simply starting the car. But if I wait for the system check to complete it stops beeping and states “Check OK” thusly...

Qavion likes this.
  14. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    That said, I just now tried it and it is now back to silent/barely audible.

Ferrari.

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    LOL.

Do you still get the "CHECK OK", even though the audio has gone?

16. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Yep ! I am going to park this in “when the next thing breaks or needs service I will address it then”.
    I pray it is not a battery draw or something odd leaving me stranded or tripping my alarm.

17. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

Mirek, the ignition has to remain in the off position for a while in order to get the beeping alert during the system check routine. That's how it works in my 1999 550.

Barry

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. I just noticed some time ago, in the 550 and 456M wiring diagrams, a switch in the ignition lock which sends a voltage to the Multifunction Display Module (pin B4). This pin is labled "inserted key input". Perhaps this switch starts up some kind of timer for the system check.

19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Most likely, Ian. And I'm pretty sure the key has to be removed as well.

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Removed prior to start???? :p

F456M likes this.
  21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, off topic again, but I think I just solved another Multifunction Display mystery which has been bugging me for a while. How does the display get outside air temperature? It uses data from the sensor under the driver's mirror, but there is only wiring from the mirror to the HVAC/DIAVIA ECU. It must be the DIAVIA ECU which sends temperature data on a serial data wire to the Multifunction Display. i.e. pin A15 (see graphic in post #10).

F456M likes this.
  22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Is that anything like a teleflex drive cable?

:)

Mirek likes this.
  23. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    #23 Mirek, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    “Mirek, the ignition has to remain in the off position for a while in order to get the beeping alert during the system check routine. That's how it works in my 1999 550.”

I never noticed that to be the case before on my car. This is a new phenomenon.

It must be sheared away.

308 GTB likes this.
  24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm gonna get them doors open if it hairlips everybody on Bear Creek.

Mirek, as Ian mentioned, there could be a timer involved with the beeping alert. I've experienced restarting the engine without hearing the alert yet seeing the CHECK OK light after several seconds prior to cranking the engine. It occurs when I shut down the engine for a few minutes. There have been times when I started the engine before the system check routine completed, beeping or not, with no ill effects. I'm convinced that the engine has to be off for a while before the timer, wherever it is, resets the audible beeping alert. I'm just not sure how long "a while" is.

My 550's window button lights remain illuminated for about five minutes after I've shut down the car. Maybe it's the same timer. :)

25. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I think you are right and perhaps it was after my mechanic was in the fuse box (checking and fixing the fan wiring, etc...) that my car began operating correctly. Drove it up to Malibu in mad traffic and she ran perfect and thank God no overheating issues.

F456M and Qavion like this.