Front wish bone removal | FerrariChat

Front wish bone removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rod, Nov 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Guys...

I can't seem to find a description thread on removing the front wish bones from a 328? Can any one point me in the right direction? I would like to remove them and have them refurbished.. i.e. painted and new bushes etc...?

2. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Rod plenty of threads on suspension removal, send me a pm and I can give you a detailed run down, it's a fairly straight forward job. Simon

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I find I get the best results with a simple Google search, many of the links will bring you here to Fchat. Also I don't think there are any particulars for 328 so use "308" to broaden the results. You can also search images which can then be followed to the originating webpage, this sometimes makes it easier to find more relavent links.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/296435-robzworkz-5a-328-non-abs-suspension-rebuild-front.html

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Depending on the model year, the suspension changed and the process will be somewhat different. It however can be summed up as:

Remove brake caliper, rotors
    Disconnect shock bottom connection
    Disconnect hub from control arms
    Remove control arms from chassis (large bolts / nuts)

You need to keep track of all the positions of caster shims, camber shims, brake caliper shims, washers and put them all back the exact same place.

6. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks all... thats a big help.. ! cheers.

7. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    The biggest problem you might have is translating it all from American :)

You will find out what a control arm and a rotor is. Actually I cant remember if control arm is track rod or wishbone :)

Tip on the caliper shims, as Yelcab mentioned, if you undo the calipers all the shims will fall out, make sure none are left sticking to the other parts only to be lost later. Then take the shim pack and glue all the shims together to form one thick shim using threadlock and putting them in a vice (not vise:)) This makes it much easier to reassemble.

8. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Superglue also works on the shims

9. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    #10 dflett, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Technically a control arm is neither a wishbone, a-arm nor track rod :)

I had to learn all these American term when I moved here. Now I end up using a mix of both which just confuses EVERYBODY.

Just this morning I mentioned the stopcock was leaking to the plumber and he just stared at me :)

10. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Of course once you get into this you'll be back on the forum saying how the hell do you get the lower, rear bolt out and that the factory put it in the wrong way :)

Hint the fork comes off from the back and if it's stuck a sawzall will cut the bolt.

And translating... a sawzall would be a reciprocating saw in Blighty.

11. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Apologies for the thread resurrection, couldn't resist adding this snippet ...

When the former F1 and Indycar champion Brit Nigel Mansell moved to the US in 1992/3, his wife Roseanne went into their local butchers and asked if she could order a joint ... :D

Two nations divided by a common language :)