Couldn’t secure a Pista allocation...ended up with a 765LT instead | FerrariChat

Couldn’t secure a Pista allocation...ended up with a 765LT instead

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Some of you may recall my story. When I first saw the Pista, it was lust at first sight. I thought it was the most beautiful, and perfect, modern Ferrari (still do). However, with my limited Ferrari experience and connections (I had previously only purchased a used F12 and a new 812), the lone path I had available was to first acquire either a Lusso or Portofino. Don’t get me wrong. I was never Pista’d off about this invitation process. I’m a businessman and I fully understand the economics of it, and so I was never particularly bothered that I didn’t “qualify”. I was merely disappointed.

Fast forward, I extensively road tested a 720S, both Coupe, and, then later, Spider. While I found them blisteringly fast and drop dead beautiful, I just was not able to fully connect. They were too comfortable, and at low speed, they completely lost any sense of occasion or theater (the perfect low speed, high theater car, is my Performante with its nasty NA V10 growl). I thought it possible that the eventual LT version might well correct some of the inherent limitations. Thus, I began my effort to secure one. I signaled my interest with my local dealer. They were candid from the onset, and explained that the car was massively oversubscribed. Indeed, I was so low down the list, that they refused to accept the deposit that I offered.

I dutifully checked in for several months. Then the actual 765LT reveal occurred. It seems like once the YouTubers previewed the car, the heat on the car went stratospheric. My chances diminished further, and I had nearly resigned myself to missing out just like I had with the Pista.

I had all the but given up when my phone rang. I was invited to the launch reveal where the local dealer was showing the Nardo Orange launch car than was making its rounds stateside. Just like I had expected it would, it looked even better in person that the online photos/videos. Best yet, I was able to fit in the Senna seats (at 6’6” 265lbs I was doubtful those seats would accommodate me). It was then that they surprised me with an allocation. They explained that more allocations had become available, and I presumed it might have been possible COVID fallout, but others mentioned that production from Europe and the UK had been rerouted to the US about that time.

In any case, I worked through the details and punched my spec order. Initially, I was given a Q1 ETA, and later that timeline was narrowed to the end of Feb. Yesterday, I was alerted that the car had hit. I managed to make it by the dealership at closing time. My plan is to take delivery on Tues, then immediately drive it 5 minutes to my local PPF guy, and then, about the time spring has sprung, I will begin enjoying the car on the NC backroads.

I will include follow up posts with more pics, driving reactions, thoughts, etc. Here’s the obligatory bad iPhone pics in poor lighting.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Congrats, keep living the dream my FGT brother.....

Thecadster likes this.
  3. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    You are going to love it. I keep finding excuses to take mine out this weekend. There has been a lot of “oh, we needs eggs, I’ll be right back”.

GT2goneF, RoadRonin and Thecadster like this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So I had a small scare that occurred last night. I had seen @Gh21631 ’s car before he took delivery and noticed he had “puffy” extra padding on his Senna seats. I became quite concerned that my seats might come the same way. I knew that because of my unusual dimensions, that any additional padding might keep me from fitting in the car (never mind comfort, as I am not really comfortable in any car). Sure enough, my car came equipped the same way. As soon as I climbed in the car, it was clear that it was not going to work. My salesperson was with another client, and so I spent 20-30 minutes drooling over the car and then I rolled out. I sent him a text with my concerns, and he immediately called me. Turns out that, first of all, the seat was in the medium position, and had not yet been lowered for my size; and, second, the middle pads are completely removable. That is, they are all Velcro’d in and the “black pads” can be removed and the “orange pads” can be installed by themselves. In sum, I was assured that the seats can be easily configured to have the exact same setup as the launch car I sat in. Naturally, that came as a major relief. I am going back by on Monday to test the seat modifications out.

Here’s the interior of my car:

Here’s interior of the Nardo Orange launch car I sat in back in October:

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Congrats, I think you managed pretty well :)
    I guess if you had been more persistent you could have secured a late production Pista, but you've not been really losing...

mclaren slr and Thecadster like this.
  7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This might well surprise you, but I was much more persistent in pursuing the Pista than I was the 765LT. So much so, that they offered me an allocation on an SF90, but I declined (which likely forever dooms my chances on subsequent offerings). My problem is that I simply can’t get with the electrification of cars. There are some here that think ICE transitioning to hybrid is much like carburetion giving way to fuel injection. I don’t agree with that synopsis. For me, I look at electrification (and GPF’s) as an existential threat to my car addiction. Hence, I am trying to gather up as many of these last/best offerings as possible (at least so much as space and funds permit).

Also, worth noting, that I could have bought any number of nicely spec’d Pistas in the secondary market, but for me (and many others) there is something extra special about having a car designed and built especially for you.

8. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Good story and write up.

And damn you're a big guy. :D

Thecadster likes this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks. And yeah, I am a pretty big dude. Been this same size plus or minus 10lbs for about 15 years. Before that, when I was crushing much heavier weights, I was between 285-297. I would like to be 239, but I would have to give up one of two things: either my muscle thickness, or my pizza.

Bobby_P and Alcav5 like this.
  10. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I officially can NOT complain about it being snug anymore. I’m 5’9” and 165 lbs and thought it was snug. After seeing your post I am going to go with the seats are roomy for my size. Lol.

Thecadster likes this.
  11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wonderful story! Drive in good health.

Thecadster likes this.
  12. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    So aside from a good story and learning that you are a big guy , this thread is great set up to hear how you feel about the LT when you take possession.

Interesting that you opted for it over a secondary market pista when in fact it's the pista you really wanted, I think 2 totally different drives when it comes to visceral feelings.
    Curious to know, was the need to order your own more important that the car (might seem that way bc I can't imagine the LT holding a candle to the pista overall)
    Did you have seat time in a similar exotic Mac, (not the 720) , P1, or another LT , that spoke to you , and said you will like this car. Or was it the LT's reputation and package of looks that got you .
    I'm not sure I know what SF90 means in terms of feel, performance and Ferrari soul , perhaps it's too new , so I get it that you passed now , but it may eventually be with us so at least I will try to prepare mentally.
    That said I do like the idea of hybrid instead of all electric. ice all alone is probably dead sooner rather than later , unless, lol, porsche has something going with the synthetic fuel thing.
    I really do think the engine growl adds to the experience, it's what had me move from porsches to ferrari , maybe you get all noise you need from your lambo ?
    GPFs, imo , no different than catalytic converter adoption , too small a change to be upset over.
    In the end I do like some of the Mac's esp the LT , I'm just shy from a test drive I took years ago. The car did not elicit any emotion, it was like driving a 911.
    I am interested in reading what you write of the LT.

Best,

Thecadster likes this.
  13. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Congratulations !

MDS

LARRYH and Thecadster like this.
  14. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    As a Ferrari stock holder, I'm sorry to hear you couldn't get a Pista. Unless you were the only one that wanted one and didn't get one.

dpw98, Thecadster and rossodino like this.
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Cant wait to hear your driving impressions.

Thecadster likes this.
  16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Cadster,

My heartiest congratulations, loved reading your story. I am absolutely enamored with your car and its color. Rather surprising how tiny that interior looks - it reminds me of a Huracan Spyder dimensionally.

I’m sure the backroads of NC will provide ample opportunity to stretch its legs, so to speak. I went the STO route and was able to secure an allocation despite the demand, but I’m reasonably certain the 765LT will be in a class by itself.

Enjoy in good health!

William

GT2goneF and Thecadster like this.
  17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats just a beast of a car!

Thecadster likes this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    [QUOTE="Thecadster, post: 147752440, member: 207537"

Fast forward, I extensively road tested a 720S, both Coupe, and, then later, Spider. While I found them blisteringly fast and drop dead beautiful, I just was not able to fully connect. They were too comfortable, and at low speed, they completely lost any sense of occasion or theater (the perfect low speed, high theater car, is my Performante with its nasty NA V10 growl). I thought it possible that the eventual LT version might well correct some of the inherent limitations. Thus, I began my effort to secure one. I signaled my interest with my local dealer. They were candid from the onset, and explained that the car was massively oversubscribed. Indeed, I was so low down the list, that they refused to accept the deposit that I offered.

I
    View attachment 3094213
    View attachment 3094214
    View attachment 3094215
    View attachment 3094216
    View attachment 3094217
    View attachment 3094218 [/QUOTE]

That above paragraph is the same sentiment I have expressed on numerous occasions. Received a great deal of blow back.

Your car looks stunning.

Thecadster likes this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    congratulations ... I also tried hard to get a Pista but did not get to order one ... However I found one I like for a little under list ... I saw a 765 in Florida over Christmas and it looked like it would be beast... be sure and tell us how you like it ....

Thecadster likes this.
  20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Congrats Cadster your 765 is looking good Enjoy in good health my friend

Thecadster likes this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    If you saw me crawling in and out of this car, you would absolutely laugh your arse off. The entire process could be timed with a sun dial.

22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    About the time the Pista first became readily available in the secondary market it was trading somewhat north of list, and about the time it was south of list, I had already punched the 765LT order. I still think it’s a phenomenal car, and probably a long time keeper for most, as Ferrari will likely only be electrified going forward. None of these cars are “better” than the other objectively, instead, each are merely different tools for different applications. We’re blessed to have so many fantastic options.

Clearly, none of the manufacturers are going to stop making and selling cars just because a handful of weirdo purists like myself will no longer be buying them once they become electrified. Indeed, the Artura has generated significant positive introduction a short while ago. Also, very few are complaining about the engine note of the new GT3, while I find it completely abhorrent.

I’ll definitely keep every posted on my driving impressions of the 765LT.

mclaren slr, mkraft3003 and JAM1 like this.
  23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I could have secured a new Pista, just not ONLY a new Pista. That was the problem. Once again though, no hard feelings on my end. I’m a committed capitalist.

GT2goneF likes this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    You certainly know the drill. Many people are only happy with your opinion if it’s the same as their own. I try hard to couch my statements as opinions, impressions, and feelings, and not as objective facts.

25. Awesome.

Good for you. Enjoy the new car in good health.

Thecadster likes this.