2nd American F1 race possibilities . . . . | FerrariChat

2nd American F1 race possibilities . . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by pilotoCS, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  2. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Penske buying Indy should make it more attractive for F1.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Domenicali still has his eyes on Miami.

I know I know......but he hasn't given up on Miami.

Manda racing likes this.
  4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I would definitely like to see a return to Indy.

Last time F1 was there the top speeds were within a few MPH of the indy cars. A) the indy cars take more than 1 lap to get up to full speed, B) the F1 cars have to brake from max MPH to 50 MPH to make T1, C) F1 runs the cars backwards. {To bad about the Michelin thing.}

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The infield indy car track really was mickey mouse.

I would still say a night street race at Vegas would be so cool.

6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Miami or Vegas night street race would both be amazing.

VAF84 likes this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The last F1 cars to race at Indianapolis were v8s. The Indy cars bump 240 mph on the straights IIRC.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Mickey mouse would be a circuit by a sports - arena. Indy is a proper race venue. Infield course should be modified -yes!

william likes this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Technically speaking the Mexican GP is held at a sport arena...now that's a great track! ;)

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Most is a proper circuit. Yes great track and atmosphere!!

Bas likes this.
  11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Surprises me there isnt a GP in Czech Republic. Stunning country and surroundings.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think a 2nd USGP would be great. I'm not in love with Miami but the Brits love FLA... for them that is the place to go? i don't know why? also its a gateway to South America.

Watkins Glen would be great - and given enough money could be turned into an FIA F-1 circuit - but there are no"facilities" for hospitality etc... but they do the same thing at Spielberg , Spa, etc... so its a possibility... but probably not enough money.

Indy - I agree the infield needs work, and I would love to see more of the oval incorporated in to the track, with Penske owning the track now you know it would be 1st class operation... just done know how the financials work - both wanting an ROI.

Selfishly - I would propose Road Atlanta. - It would need huge investment in a pit complex, and safety changes, but its all doable, and its very close to a modern city with all the amenities like any major European track.... as for a track its would be quite fast.. and probably a sub 1min time. or just at 1.01 time.... but never going to happen.

Laguna Seca - nice track but again kind of out there, and would require huge investment.

Road America - isolated, BUT has room for all the needed investment - and would be HUGE speed.... never going to happen.

Long Beach - has all the appeal of Socal... and they know how to set it up... track layout is very micky mouse... probably cost way too much.

For F-1 a race close to NYC would be ideal... but NYC does not need a race.

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, yes, Road America--but it would take probably as much as the track is worth to bring it up to F1 standards.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As is the case with most tracks in the USA. COTA and Indianapolis are the only world class facilities in the country. I agree with re-working the Indy infield and incorporating more of the oval in the F1 configuration. Keep the Snake Pit :eek: and resurrect the Turn One Lounge ;).

15. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Meadowlands GP!

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    F-1 Investment would be 2-3X the value of the track. but it would be spectacular.

17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    There is a high chance that the GP in Brazil will be cancelled, so there will be room for another race in the Americas.

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think Road Atlanta could be very close to FIA / F-1 specs with about $10M investment.... the problem is getting that ROI back.

RA would have to buy a lot of surrounding land to expand the run-off areas, especially at T6-7, and probably move the Bridge abutment farther from the track edges. a new pit complex - which actually I think could be amazing ( I'd build it into the side of the hill on the old pit side with new grandstands on the opposite side. The way the topography is you could have all the hospitality level with the track, I'd have thick bullet proof glass floor to ceiling so you would have unobstructed view of the track level... then pits paddock above and then more hospitality above that, with a veranda overlooking the pits. you could build the entire thing like a huge parking deck with an open Paddock in the middle and sell admission to a Paddock surrounding walk ...

19. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    How about another North American race... at Circuit Mont Tremblant in Quebec in a lovely resort area... proprietor, one Lawrence Stroll...

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Great track....miss seeing it these days after a brief revival (CART, ALMS) in the late 00's...

Always reminded of this epic open wheel shunt (amazingly no one seriously injured):

Nembo1777 likes this.
  21. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    And an equal amount for F1 mandated hotel capacity, which wouldn't be needed the other 50 weeks of the year.
    I'm happy I went to Mosport in '75...total all in cost was $65. Bought a ticket at a gas station along the way.

22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Having a GP isn't about choosing a circuit, but finding a promoter who wants to take the risk.

Flavio_C likes this.
  23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    you know, you are right !

Imagine that each F1 team had its own track (stadium) and that every couple of weeks the other teams dropped by to stage a race (much like other sports).........
    a) this would pretty much eliminate all the "fly away races"
    b) be an incentive for other places to operate F1 teams
    c) get rid of the need for promoters......

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The 2nd USGP will be either Miami, Indy or Vegas. Nothing else would work as we discussed on here a gazillion brazillion times.

Liberty is also looking at bringing back a race on the African continent. As they should. Still difficult to find a suitable place, Johanessburg/Kyalami and Morocco are possible candidates. Fingers crossed. I could see something in Kenya or Egypt.

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Other sports(NFL, NBA, MLB) have standardized playing fields unlike F1 racetracks.