Finally my display cabinets are done! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Finally my display cabinets are done!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bigodino, Apr 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice solutions Peter!
    What are you going to do with the headlights?

2. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks! I'll probably order the correct diameter headlights at www.legende-miniatures.com

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The BBS wheels are done! The waterslide decals took some time to get them off the backing paper. One decal tore up so I had to order a second set. I've painted the CMF wheels silver and the disks black. The tires are slicks and the Good Year printing makes them look appropriately racy.

Now my attention goes to the rear spoiler. The end plates will be cut from a styrene plate. I've printed out a picture of the rear and it matched the scale exactly. Now I'm struggling to find a way to get the two end plates exactly in the same shape. The styrene can be cut with a scissor, but it's not very accurate. So getting one plate in the right shape is difficult enough, let alone making two exact copies. Any suggestions? I've bought a foam cutter which might be suitable to cut styrene as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

furmano, rysc97 and JOEV like this.
  4. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
    Use your good part and stick it with double-sided tape on an other piece of styrene.
    Cut away most of the material with a Dremel around the original part.
    Take a file and sandpaper to make the second part just like the first part.
    Then split the two parts again.
    (I am sorry Peter, for my English, my Dutch is better! ;) )

bigodino likes this.
  5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    rysc97, JOEV and gt4me like this.
  6. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great work.

7. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks good!

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Slow but steady progress on the rebuild. I've made headlight pods out of styrene. First I hollowed out one side until I was satisfied and used a cardboard mock-up for the pod. Then I made the pod out of four styrene sides. This involved yet more cutting and sanding. Once the pod was to my liking, I took it apart and flipped it for the other side to hollow that one out as needed. This way both pods are mirror images of each other. I will glue the styrene parts in place and use putty to fill the edges and other scratches caused by the Dremel tool.
    Today the four round headlights arrived in the mail so I can go ahead and finish these pods.

The Koenig BB I'm trying to replicate used to be a 365 GT/4 BB. The GT Spirit model is bases however on a 512 BBi. So I took out the front indicator lights and filled the holes with putty and then sanded them.

I also took out the driving lights and main front grill. I painted the inside of the empty nose black and will fill it out with black mesh. I'm always trying to use cheap materials from unusual sources. The mesh I borrowed from my wife, who makes her own clothes as a hobby. I don't know exactly what it's used for, but it's sturdy and can be painted, which I did.

Next I painted the side gills black as on the original car. I'm not quite happy with the result. I might cut away the gills completely and remake them. That way I can fill out the NACA duct and make the side smooth, just like on a 365.

I also painted the interior black and replaced the original seats with one racing seat that I had left over from another rebuild. The roll cage is also stolen from another donor model.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rei24, SmokyDave and JOEV like this.
  9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Well I got a bit distracted by what I thought would be a fast and easy project besides this Koenig one, but it has taken me more time and effort to finish it. So the Koenig project has been on hold for a few days.
    To make matters worse I've done yet another project, this time however it was quick and easy and I'm very happy with the result. Some may remember the driver figurine banging his head against the side of the cabinet? The reason for that is because the figurine won't stay up on its own as the black oval base is too small. So I took the base off and replaced it with a rectangular piece of hobby glass large enough to keep the figurine stay up. And as it's completely transparent, it isn't as obvious as the original black oval base.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

furmano and jpsf1uk like this.
  10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The latest addition to my collection is the 312 F1 from 1967 by GP Replicas. I'm very happy with this model. It's a beauty! As always there are flaws but they are minor. For example the air outlets in the nose don't have much depth and are painted black. The wheel colour looks a bit off. Should be less red in it and more green?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Another small project completed, again removing the ugly oval base off this figurine and replaced it with a clear piece of hobby glass. I did some tough ups on the face, mainly around the eyes (they looked too cartoonish). I made a grid board from scratch as I didn't like the one she came with. Now it fits with the 312 T4 (although the Exoto version is the winner of a very wet Grand Prix, so obviously she would have caught a cold in that dress! :)

:) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Progress on the Koenig BB has been very slow, but I did do some other stuff, like hanging posters in the room where I work on my models. Also some small projects, like adding mirrors to a Bburago Testarossa. This was the very first Ferrari I ever sat in. It was at the local Ferrari dealer called Prominent, hence the dealer plates.

Next up is a wheel swap on the GTO Evoluzione by Looksmart. IMHO the Looksmart wheels are too small and the chrome is too bright. I also don't like the threaded road tyres.
    So I took the wheels off an F40 by Hot Wheels, added slicks by Legendeminiatures and painted the center nuts dark grey, I also wanted to make the five star center part less shiny, but my idea of using Tamiya XF-86 flat clear failed. No matter how many coats I added to a chrome part, it remained just as shiny. Anyone suggestions on how to make chrome parts less shiny?

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Here are some pictures of my second mancave :) Well, it's a room upstairs, so not exactly a cave. Here's my workstation for modifying, painting and photographing models and yes, some Lego builds.
    I've put up quite a few posters of events that I've visited over the years and that are dear to me, like the Mille Miglia, FF40, Spa Ferrari Days and so on.
    You can also see my collection of 1:32 scale slot cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JOEV, Lusso123, rysc97 and 1 other person like this.
  13. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
    Peter, have you tried Motip flat-clear?

I did mine too two years ago.........

bigodino likes this.
  14. rei24

rei24 Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Klaus

15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    It's still going. I've glued in the headlight pods but need to putty the gaps around it. Have been modifying the exhaust pipes and rear valance. No pictures yet.

rei24 likes this.
  16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Hi John,

I ordered Tamiya XF-16 and it is a perfect finish for the wheel centers. Don't even need a flat clear. I'm going to use it for other parts that are too chrome as well, like BBR wire wheels on competition cars.