Tire Question | FerrariChat

Tire Question

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by IDriveM5, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Hi folks,
    My new-to-me FF has Pirelli P-Zero summer tires currently fitted. The date code on the front reads mid-2018. The rears are mid-2017. Wear is not bad, approx 50% worn on the rear, only 40% worn on the front (noted in my PPI).
    I really want to switch to Michelin PS 4’s but I’m hesitant because there seems to be a lot of life left in the Pirelli’s, and I don’t typically replace good car parts. Would you switch out “good” tires?
    Any suggestions? If I hear that the performance difference between the two (from owners who have run both brands) is overwhelming, that would mean a lot.
    Appreciate the advice, thanks in advance.

Also, I haven’t driven the car much since I took delivery recently and the weather at home is poor / not conducive to grip for summer tires.

2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Congrats on the FF! I’m in a similar position with my 812 GTS, it comes with P zero but have read a lot of good things about MPS4.

I think it’s a bit of a waste of money to swap them now, so drive hard to wear them out soon then swap!

I guess you could swap soon and keep the P Zeros and you can always swap back at some point to use up the P Zeros eg track day?

R J likes this.
  3. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    @IDriveM5 I would go ahead and swap them out. The dates do matter because the rubber hardens over time. Try the MPS4s. I am in the process of swapping out the P zeros on my GTS with MPS4s. It was a welcome change on my dads V12 Lusso. Idk if I’m gonna track the GTS but if not I’ll use them on our SF for sure.

4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I’ve made the switch from Pirelli to MPS4S on my FF. The biggest improvement was that the tramlining disappeared.

Every other improvement that I noted might have been down to new vs old/worn tyres but others who have swapped new for new say that the change is worth it.

The fact that you live in a cooler climate is also another factor in favour of the MPS4S

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have had both brands on my cars. The Michelin Pilot 4S are better than the Pirelli P Zero, but hardly "overwhelming". Unless you are driving the car very aggressively, you are wasting money to change out the Pirellis while they are still in date and have plenty of tread left. JMO.

andyrichter and vraa like this.
  6. JesseRohr

JesseRohr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2020
    Birmingham AL
    Full Name:
    Jesse Rohr
    My first 812 came with 4S Michelin in January. Due to an issue with the car my dealer swapped it for an identical spec new 812 they also had in stock that came with Pirelli P Zeros. The difference is literally night and day in favor of the Michelin tires. The car handled better in all temps, less tire noise and was WAY more compliant around town.

I wanted to swap the wheels/tires from one to another but Ferrari Corp wouldn't allow it. The Pirelli tires can't come off soon enough.

7. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Interesting. Most votes in favor of the MPS4 so far, which is totally aligned with the research I have found on the subject.
    I’ve only driven the car about 125 miles so far, and that was all highway to bring it home from a city in Northern Ohio. I noticed that the Pirelli’s seemed a bit loud, and were just a bit harsh over expansion joints.
    If they are still in date, and I think they might be pushing the upper limit of such, I may keep them for the spring and then swap in the summer, when I tend to drive even more.
    Still very interested in the opinions of this esteemed group, so keep the suggestions coming.

8. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Take the Pirelli's to the track and in one day you'll be ready for the PS4s ;)

R J, NYC Fred, Caeruleus11 and 4 others like this.
  9. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Make sure to keep an eye on the inner side of the front tires. That part of the front tire can be worn down to the belt while the outside still have plenty of meat left.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Had it been the newer PZ4, I would say wear them down. But seeing that it is the old PZero, get rid of them. There's a massive difference between the two.
    The MPS4S is lightyears ahead of the old PZero. Much better comfort, much less noise, much better grip, no tramlining etc. If you really feel that bad about it, wear them down quick. They don't last very long anyway. Give it a bootfull on occasion and you can wear them a lot in a month for two.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not only that, those older Pirellis crack - so does the new ones. I suppose that what happens when it's China in charge.

otakki likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Make sure what you get is not MPS4, but MPS4S.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
    245/35R20 K1 (NOT THE K2. IMPORTANT!)
    295/35R20 K1

VColin, R J, italiafan and 2 others like this.
  13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    whats the difference?

14. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Good call, thanks. I have been looking at the K1 Ferrari selection available on Tire Rack. This particular “Ferrari specific” option isn’t available in stock at Tire Rack until sometime in March.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't get the K2 fronts. Those are for the Portofino and Roma. They have a much narrower tread.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The K2 which are the porto tyres have a tread that is 0.4" narrower than the Lusso/FF spec K1. Will understeer into next week.

17. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Pirellis are not so good. I'd swap them out and never look back. I swapped to Continental DWS06 for winter. I bought a 2nd set of OEM wheels and put the Michelin MPS4s on for summer when that season rolls back around. My experience was the Pirellis were slippery until hot, and slippery when wet

18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Make sure you up an additional 2-4 psi to the DWS06 because they tend to have flexible sidewalls.

19. testtest1234

testtest1234 Rookie

Sep 8, 2021
    do guys think it is really necessary to get the K1 verision of the PS4S?

20. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    I have the PS4s in my car .. those tire has lot of Grip but it freaking Noisy tire.. That is one thing you guy need to note if u want to travel in a GT car.
    very loud tire.. I have a set of Atlas tire and it lot lot quieter.. but the grip is only 70% of the PS4s

21. testtest1234

testtest1234 Rookie

Sep 8, 2021
    Hmmm do you think I should stick to the pirelli then?

also when do you ask switch out your tires? was thinking four years would be the max

22. forstephan

forstephan Rookie

Nov 9, 2007
    Los Angeles
    huge difference especially between a set of old Pirelli VS new PS4. Completely different car, feedback is huge and comfort as well.
    No reason to hesitate about it

23. testtest1234

testtest1234 Rookie

Sep 8, 2021
    Would it squeak or what was the issue on the noise?

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Interesting. Nobody else had indicated that the PS4S is much noisier than the MPSS Michelins. What sizes and series (K) do you have on the F12? Thanks.

25. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    Solid State likes this.