TR Engine out service | Page 3 | FerrariChat

TR Engine out service

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ria, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good luck - it is no magic to do this all - and if you have problems you may ask here and get the right answers to go on

2. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    thanks joe

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    do yourself a favor - get a two post lift.

a scissor is adequate

floor jacks suck

a four post won’t work

cheers,
    Vincenzo

PS: you need a cross beam floor jack (harbor freight) to keep from breaking the rear window

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Or do a search here and someone came up with a square tubing rear lifter. floor jack in center lift rear cradle and slip in two jack stands. Made from 2" tubing.

6. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i have a maxjax 2 post lift as my garage ceiling is not high enough for a full 2 post lift i think the maxjax will work and i do not have to worry about the window breaking .

vincenzo likes this.
  7. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    "a four post won’t work"
    cheers,
    Vincenzo

I'm doing the first engine out service my 1990 Testarossa has had. YES I'm quite sure the timing belts are original. The car had a service at five thousand miles, and then a bare minimum service at 14,000 miles. So I'm doing the service on a four post lift. I've got most of the parts off , rear wheels have been removed, and I have Machinery skates under both jack points of the body. I'm going to just roll the entire car to the rear of the four post lift, until my skates are at the end of the runways. I'll have complete access to the entire engine. Is there something I'm missing about four post lifts? I have two 9000 pound Challenger lifts in my shop. I know I'll have a lot more weight on one end, but I'm sure that shouldn't be a problem.The jacking points on each side of the car are behind the engine subframe, so I should have adequate clearance. The car is supported the same way it would be with a two post lift.

Since I'm doing a major service, I decided to take off the air dam from under the front bumper. Pretty easy to get off. The ONE nut to the left of the AC condenser, was hard to reach, but by half way raising the headlight, removing the bezel and the bulb, I could reach right down and get to the nut. The other side of the car is easy with the battery removed. Probably didn't spend an hour total, and this is the first time I've ever removed it. Ferrari MADE it easy to remove with the slotted mounts.

8. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Brian, I know this is an old post, but was wondering how it went with the 4 post lift. I have a 4 post lift also and it is great for somethings and not so great for others. I have entertained the thought of also doing the major myself, but just don't know if I am up for it. I thought I saw a thread in the past about how to do the engine out with a 4 post. Thanks Mark

9. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have a four post and did my major with it. It was a huge help. I will buy another four post for my new house.

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Jeff - how did you drop the engine with a 4-post? Did you previously post a thread on that?

A 4-post is much easier on 4” typical household garage concrete slab. Without a reinforced 6” slab, I would not trust a 2-post lift.

11. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It was just a post. I'll find it.

12. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    vincenzo and turbo-joe like this.
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Four post works on testarossa. I could not do it in my garage because of space limitations due to how the lift is mounted in the garage. But, with enough space around the 4 post lift, it's very doable.

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    important is the space behind the lift. so where the back from the car is