Custom Mondial | FerrariChat

Custom Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by spicedriver, Feb 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I saw this particular model many years ago.

I hope the owner is not anyone here. I think it was modified to make it more than it was during the very height of Mondial hatred. If you peruse any Instagram/Facebook post nowadays, the Mondial appreciation is only growing. The owner would have been better served to leave it as original as possible; the mods, I argue, look tacky and out of place now.

Again, if this is your or somebody's car here, excuse my subjective opinion - for it is merely that.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The tail lights kind of work. If the wheels were all black it would look more tasteful. I wonder if Zagato would approve ;)

paulchua likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I actually thought the taillights were broken.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I just think the Mondial is a great design. Why mess with it? The furthest I would go is rims and matching body color bumpers like so:

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    IDK if the interior and wheels were either original or a more typical upgrade like 348 wheels that might not be so bad. (taillights are junk tho)

I often think we judge cars too harshly cuz we know that this bit or that bit came from somewhere else. If the Mondial came with that 355 front bumper would we say the same thing today?

Honestly relooking at that I have a 348 with a 355 front bumper that I'm taking off the 348 and it doesn't look that bad to me on the mondi!

paulchua likes this.
  7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    What were the four things on the trunk lid? Did he have a wing on it at some point?
    Not my cup of tea.....

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    probably

paulchua likes this.
  9. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I have seen this picture before......beautiful coupe!

paulchua likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes, it was from this article from Esquire Russia (you can use Google translate)

I always liked this photo because let's face it, the Mondial doesn't often take pictures well. It's still best to see it in person and in tip-top shape.

The Mondial is often like seeing a famous actress with no makeup and 'schlepping it around town versus when they've glammed up. (paint corrected, fully detailed, fully restored, freshly washed/polished/waxed)

Btw, I said rims and body-color are the most I would do.

I argue these are not technically mods since, on the new Ferrari, the owner chooses 'from the factory' with different rims. For body color, you have from the factory both body-colored side strakes and earlier black ones. I think a purist would say body coloring an 8 or QV bumper would be messing with it.

Touche'

I would say that is genuinely the furthest I would go with a 'modification.'

Rest is beautiful as is.

11. LA_Rari_22

LA_Rari_22 Rookie

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Len U
    the bumpers and side skirts don't look half bad. the big brake rotors and calipers are nice. guessing it has a badass sound system.

probably done in the early 2000s when using other taillights from other cars was the thing, big wings (this car prob had one as I see 4 holes on trunk), and shaving everything was considered clean

the Mondial is aging well today but wasn't a classic back then so this one got cut up to follow trends. not cool to us now but was a panty dropper/showstopper in its time. =)

wondering if it has neon lights under the car??

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  14. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    DEKRA : I went to that proces also...a few months ago the biennial technical inspection (for oldtimers in Belgium between 30 and 50 years young). It was a horror to watch the controller beating the bottom of the car with his pointed hammer ... for 10 minutes. Followed by his chef colleague who added another 5 minutes. And you can't say anything or they search until they find something to disapprove the car.

15. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    Spikey like an arrow, I love it

16. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    Fortunately, my engineer loved classic sports cars. Drives a Corvette Stingray himself. He didn't use a hammer.

17. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #18 moysiuan, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021

Lots of work went into this, interesting how hard it is to improve on the original design, although most seem to try to emulate some other Ferrari, rather than do some independent thinking about changes.

18. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    afterburner likes this.