Wanted - First Ferrari - 2010/11 458 Italia | FerrariChat

Wanted First Ferrari - 2010/11 458 Italia

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by jsh458ft, Feb 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Hey folks, fairly new here, but have been lurking for a few months at least..

I'm shopping for my first Ferrari, hoping to snag an early model 458. I do not mind higher mileage and I'm not super picky on colors or options but would really like something unmolested. Looking to spend under $120K.

Pluses:
    • LED Steering Wheel
    • Parking Sensors and/or Camera
    Minuses (but probably not deal-breakers):
    • Racing Seats
    • Yellow Exterior
    • Red Interior
    Thank you! (And preemptive apologies if I missed any detail of the classifieds guidelines)

2. Nick M

Nick M Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Arizona
    Gonna be a long wait looking to find a 458 under 120k.. might have to settle for a 430 in that price range

XLNLIFE, NuorderSG, rongotti and 9 others like this.
  3. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Even a really high mile 458 will run you $140-150k+. And at that point you need to be concerned with service etc. It's not a good idea to try to stretch to a certain model unless you're willing to get a salvage title or something which is also not a great idea unless you are or have an awesome relationship with a local mechanic. Even so parts can get really pricey too. It typically winds up costing MUCH more to stretch than to get a well sorted model below like a 430 or 360. Better to wait and save up for one with decent mileage, no stories and maint history, ESPECIALLY if it is your first Ferrari.

4. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Thanks for the thoughts. I have seen brief offerings in this price range, like the 60k mile unit moved by Ferrari of Austin in December for $110K. I know luck and timing are my only chances of getting this good of a deal on a non-salvage/abused/etc car.

Yassa likes this.
  5. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’ve seen ones on auto trader in the 130s and they go fast but they do show up.
    High miles always. A while back there was a black on in the Chicago area with high miles priced at like 118,000.
    If you’re patient one will come up.
    The big question will be what kind of shape it’s in.
    It’s most likely going to have some story or drawback you will have to accept.
    Good luck

6. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    That’s a really nice car but for that money you might not find a good car or and anything that would be at that price point might need a lot of work if you lift your price range you can get a really good driver there’s other models in the price point that are great cars too and will be good first Ferrari’s
    Just do your homework get PPI and be vigilant there’s a car out there for you good luck

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. avi

avi Rookie

Oct 5, 2020
    There is one at Phillips auto in california
    It’s a red black 22k mile 2010 for 134000, but you can work with them and get it for near around the price you want.

it had a report on carfax but it’s documented with them which is always a plus point. Try it if you want.

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The car at Austin had some pretty sizeable needs

9. Nick M

Nick M Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Arizona

That car hit a parked car or somethin if I remember correctly. Looks pretty clean in pictures

10. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    That car required more than $30k in repairs. It was not in working condition. And it had an accident history with airbags deployed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. avi

avi Rookie

Oct 5, 2020
    Yes you are right and good work was done after that, it’s a great bargain if someone wants to keep it forever or for a long time.

12. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I don’t believe any dealer claim to explain away an accident history on a carfax. As long as I was not transferred to a salvage title, 100% of dealers will say “just some minor damage, hit a parked car/pole/fence at barely idle speed.”

In almost every case this is not true. Anytime you see an accident history on carfax, you should ask to see a police report, insurance claim/adjuster report, or repair shop invoice to actually determine the nature of the accident. This is why even a minor accident history will tank a cars value....because you never know if it was serious or not.

I had a Porsche 911 careera S I bought brand new in 2014 that was in a medium speed accident under 15mph. Was $25k in repairs and the car was never the same and I decided to sell it and take the bath because the car was just never right after the accident. I wouldn’t touch a Ferrari with any accident history no matter how minor with a 10 foot pole! If it was severe enough to result in an insurance claim and go on a carfax report then you should avoid it at all costs.

Martyt, avishar, Flea7 and 4 others like this.
  13. Nick M

Nick M Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Arizona
    Was a Bargain for someone cause it sold..

Sent from my SM-G973U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Maybe this car sold, not seeing it on their website.

avi likes this.
  15. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Not sure we're talking about same car. CarFax was clear. Shrug.

16. Nick M

Nick M Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Arizona
    It sold last week

17. X-TNSIV

X-TNSIV Formula Junior

May 2, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen
    FYI, your insurance provider will submit any accidents that cost $1000 or more to repair to carfax.

Just because the carfax shows an accident, doesn't mean it was a severe one. There are opportunities to purchase at a discount if you have all the information.

And just because a $30K repair bill on a Ferrari means it was huge damage. I saw one "authorized" ferrari body shop quote a $35K on a job, that was also quoted by a "previously authorized" ferrari body shop that did it for $8K. Both knew what work was entailed. One just charges a severe Ferrari tax.

I think the OP can find a car for $120K. Just needs to find the right seller.

audi_328, gmo28 and jsh458ft like this.
  18. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    It was sold to a dealer, who will do the repairs and resell it for $160-170k.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

120 is ambitious...high mileage with service is the only shot at not having a headache of a car.

20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    how do you find out if high milage car was a rental at some point in its life? rental companies tend to hide behind other title names so car fax is no help. would absolutely avoid a rental ferrari

21. Nick M

Nick M Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Arizona
    Repairs were already done when it sold

22. WTB458

WTB458 Rookie

Jan 24, 2021
    Fullerton California
    Full Name:
    Jeff Seraphine
  23. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    That’s a challenge car. Not street legal and overpriced

Nick M likes this.
  24. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You can’t really depend on a car fax as often accidents on expensive cars are not reported as the owner may have high deductible or not want to report the accident to his insurance carrier. I have paid for a few of my wife’s accidents where no other party was involved, so we don’t get canceled.
    When you look for cars at the bottom of the price range you are almost always seeing the worst examples or cars with issues, there is always a reason for it being offered at the cheapest price. Hardly ever does the Ferrari owner have to sell the car as they need the cash. Just saying.....

CoreyNJ and Gianni360 like this.
  25. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    PM sent