Top 5 ugliest Ferraris | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Top 5 ugliest Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by m5shiv, Dec 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    11 pages of Totally Subjective Opinions that won't change anyone's views.

LOL

Who cares about the ugliest.
    How about the Best looking.

Fact is, the 288 GTO for me is the best looking car EVER!!!
    Can't afford on so I went for the 308 which as my childhood dream car.

Dino246gt, jm2 and paulchua like this.
  2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Just need to add my 2 cents worth.....1985 400i......not ugly to me.
    The same general body used for 17 years, ( helped pay the bills at the factory.. ), 3 different models, and a V-12 up front.
    I personally like the mid-model cars, 4 tail lights instead of 6, and classic dished rims instead of flat outside spokes to make room for ABS '86 to '89.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flavio_C and paulchua like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #278 paulchua, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    You have to judge a car by it's era.
    The car came out in 1972. These were your other 'elite' choice 4 seat coupes at the time.

Which would you pick?

This:
    Or these?
    (Mercedes Coupe, BMW Coupe, Lamborghini Coupe, Cadillac Coupe, Lincoln Coupe)

Attached Files:

sixcarbs likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hey, I had a 635csi and that was a superb car. Would give you less trouble than the V12 too...

paulchua likes this.
  6. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    colombo2cam, Jakuzzi and paulchua like this.
  7. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Was the 6 series BMW in the same era as the 365?

Was there really a comparison made to the Lincoln, Cadillac, that model of Mercedes coupe as opposed to a 280 se 3.5 or a 450 SLC to a Ferrari 365/400?

Seems like apples to oranges when considering that other more comparable cars were available in the era. Not including the Jag V12, or Aston Martin Vantage or an Espada...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samiare and 375+ like this.
  8. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    Yes beauty is subjective, but statistics is objective and quantitative. If 40% of the people here consider Mondial as one of the ugliest Ferraris and 1% of the people have 250 California on that list, then that's a quantitative comparison of beauty, right? And the more people you ask, the more accurate the result will be.

Maybe we should just simply do a poll, let the numbers say for themselves.

And for the people who might argue how relatively beautiful the 400i was back in the 70's compare to other cars in the 70's, this thread is a snapshot of people's opinion of beauty in 2021, maybe the result will change in 2031. So I think it's fair to compare all the Ferraris through the years using our current mindset and our current opinion of what beauty beholds. We don't necessarily have to compare the Ferraris with other cars in the same time period.

paulchua likes this.
  9. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    wow, they out sophisticated the Gamlin, how brilliant :)

barabba and paulchua like this.
  10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Last one brings back memories! My uncle was a chauffeur, and drove a Caddie for some rich old lady. From time to time, he'd take the company car home & jam myself and 6 or 7 of my cousins in there, and we'd drive to Coney Island for hot dogs, Jahn's in Flushing for ice cream, etc. Man, we coulda done that in a Ferrari! ☹️
    T

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great suggestions.

I purposely left out the C107s because it occupies a different niche. I mean, even the current iteration wouldn't be compared to a Ferrari F8. The 280 SE however, was a Grand Tourer. The spiritual successors I would argue is the S Coupe. Which would be more apt to be compared to an FF. I don't believe it's fair to compare cars of different segments. Otherwise, it wouldn't be 'apples' to 'apples.' Say, comparing a roaster to a sedan or a grand tourer with a rally car.

The key point being, it doesn't change my view even if I were to add it in:
    Remember, the 365 2+2 came out in 1972.

The Jag V12 (I assume you mean the XJS?) Didn't come out until 1975

The Aston Martin Vantage - 1977.

Absolutely happy to add the Espada if you think it looks better. (I purposely picked the Lambo that was more popular, but happy to add your suggestion.)

Like I said, given these 3, Daft Punk and I know which we would choose. My feelings are not hurt if you disagree.

:)

Attached Files:

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #287 paulchua, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Excellent points. It's all in good fun. For the record, I don't think any of the cars I mentioned are ugly, only that they represent an epoch and time period. I illustrated the other cars at the time to show just how 'radical' and forward-thinking the 365 is even today. I LOVE the design of the 365 right now. To me, it's the first "Prelude MK3&5" which is another design I love. It's just amazing to me that it was so ahead of its time.

I am also one of the weirdos that think the Mondial is great looking. With last week's auction of a 3.2 Cab going for $77K, maybe more people with bad taste than I thought. ;)

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #288 paulchua, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Lincoln (picture above is a 1972 5th Gen Lincoln Continental) - 4 seat coupe.
    Cadillac (picture above is a 1972 Cadillac El Dorado) - 4 seat coupe.

Mercedes Benz - I thought it would be unfair to use the W114 (since the design was so old, so I offered up the W123), so happy to stick with the 1972 W114 too:

As far as the Bimmer, the 6 didn't come out until 1976 and is a great CAR! - I would be proud to own one and think they are fantastic. This thread was based on aesthetics only, and my *opinion* is the 365 looks better than the 6. Nothing wrong if you give back my two cents.

Since 1972 was my stick in the ground, the E9 was the coupe, but like the C107, I feel it is a different segment than a V12 grand tourer.

Who am I to judge if you prefer the 72' Caddilac over the 72' 365?
    Not up to me what anyone else should like. Just speaking honestly about myself. More power to those that prefer the Cadillac, and I wish them joy and happiness.

Attached Files:

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed 100%

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I love the series - they are awesome. If only I had more garage space!!!

16. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Sorry, but if the Motor 1 renderings are anywhere close to the truth , the Purosangre is going to knock it out the park.

17. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    All of them, except the American Tanks.

paulchua likes this.
  18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I liked the 365 GTC/4 2+2 as much as the Daytona. The 365 GT4 2+2 and related seemed ugly to me at the time. They've grown on me since then, but it wasn't until the 456 that I truly loved a 2+2 design again. Still think the 612 is way better than the FF/Lusso.

paulchua likes this.
  19. Jim Moscardini

Oct 8, 2020
    Gainesville, VA USA
    Full Name:
    Jim Moscardini
    I had an ‘85 635 for over 100k miles. It was both a joy to drive and to see in the parking lot as I walked up to it.

20. David Allan Feller

Oct 25, 2020
    Newmarket, UK
    Full Name:
    Dr. David Allan Feller
    308 GT4 has back seats

21. David Allan Feller

Oct 25, 2020
    Newmarket, UK
    Full Name:
    Dr. David Allan Feller
    I love mine. I tend to think that a good deal of the criticism of the 308 is based on historical biases and not any real aesthetic analysis: Bertone was an outsider at Ferrari, the 2+2 was a new thing, it was very modern with the wedge profile, etc. If you set aside the cultural bias and look at it as a car, it's a lovely thing: balanced, not fussy in the details, fantastically aggressive from some angles, but not shouty and it still looks fresh because of it.

When I'm driving mine I think back to the Porsche 911 I had from the same era. I think the 308 just leaves it for dead in so many ways visually, and it just pisses all over it for driving pleasure. Again, YMMV, but the 308 is a real benchmark for me.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #297 paulchua, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Correct answer! Bonus is if you say including American Tanks.
    But like asking the genie for more wishes as your first wish, the call is just 1.
    Again, here are the cars available to you in 1972. Since this thread is based purely on looks. Again, I ask folks to take a look at these and honestly answer what car looks best to you. No right or wrong answer. Just that to me, one car truly stood apart from the rest.

#1 1972 Ferrari
    #2 1972 Mercedes 250C coupe
    #3 1976 BMW (I should use the 1972 E9 actually, which is gorgeous, and would give the Fezza a run at the beauty pageant.)
    #4 1972 Lamborghini Espada
    #5 1972 Cadillac
    #6 1972 Lincon
    #7 1972 Mercedes
    #8 1972 Lamborghini
    #9 1972 Lotus

I would personally pick the 365 money no object, and the E9 budget considered.

Attached Files:

23. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ferrari first, by a country mile.

BMW second, (and you picked the worst picture of one I have ever seen) but as you can tell from my ID "Been there done that".

Then, the other Italians.

Then, the Mercs.

Sorry Lotus , but no.

As for the American stuff, not to own, but to cruise around the French Quarter of an evening, Hell Yeah !

paulchua likes this.
  24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, ugly is in the heart of the beholder. ;)

tomc and paulchua like this.
  25. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Funny how the Jag -E type was left off and Enzo himself considered it one of the most beautiful cars made. Available in 1972 as a V12 or a 6 cylinder.

Of the cars available to be purchased by the motoring public in 1972, it seems the picture choices left a few of the “cool wall” cars out...

$0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nospinzone and paulchua like this.