Not crappy replicas!!!! | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Not crappy replicas!!!!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by redhammer, May 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Especially for solving the dreaded timing belt problem! :D

TheMayor likes this.
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Image Unavailable, Please Login (Jaguar UK)
    Jaguar Classic is celebrating the 70th anniversary of the legendary C-type sports racer by creating a strictly limited production run of new C-type Continuation cars, which will be hand-built at Jaguar’s world-class Classic Works facility in Coventry. The C-type Continuation program will allow historic motor racing enthusiasts to purchase a new, factory-built example of the ultimate 1953 disc-brake-equipped ‘works’ C-type direct from Jaguar for the first time. The C-type, which was originally made between 1951-53, was famed for its exceptionally fluid shape by Jaguar Cars designer, aerodynamicist and artist Malcolm Sayer. The C-type won the grueling 24 Hours of Le Mans on its debut in 1951, scoring the first of Jaguar’s seven outright wins at the French endurance classic. From 1952, the C-type pioneered the adoption of innovative disc brake technology in motorsport, with a revolutionary system developed by Jaguar and Dunlop scoring the first win for a disc-braked car with Stirling Moss at the Reims Grand Prix in France. The C-type won the 24 Hours of Le Mans again in 1953 - another first for disc brakes - and also enjoyed success in the hands of private owners. How many will be built? Eight. How much? Figure between $1.5 - $2 million.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login (Photo ©JDHT)
    The No.18 Jaguar C-type of Tony Rolt and Duncan Hamilton wins the 1953 24 Hours of Le Mans.

2cam and energy88 like this.
  3. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Those bodies look beautiful in bare metal!

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Boomhauer likes this.
  5. Terry groves

Terry groves Karting

Oct 21, 2014
    Suffolk
    Full Name:
    Terry Groves
    tritone and ronc52 like this.
  6. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow! Well done. Looks like you have succeeded in building a nice car around the proverbial tachometer needle!

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    please tell us more details of the build
    Chassis suspension motor
    Also how did you do the body.

looks really nice

8. Terry groves

Terry groves Karting

Oct 21, 2014
    Suffolk
    Full Name:
    Terry Groves
    My car was built using a steel spaceframe chassis. Coil overs on each corner and rover/lotus Elise 1.8vvc engine. bodywork was GRP. Have since done another part build for someone utilizing a modified Ferrari 308GT4 chassis and suspension from a basket case 308GT4 which wasn’t worth restoring. The gentlemen in question after seeing my car showed me an article in Octane magazine on the David Lee Dino with a V8 and asked if a 308gt4 could be used as a donor car.
    Here’s a picture of the modified 308 chassis with body attached
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ronc52 and BJK like this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I know the Elise whine well having an Elsie myself,

Tour new car is really great, and technically it’s still a Ferrari, with chassis plate and ferrari power train.

did you have to shorten the gt4 chassis?

any ideas on final weight of the car?
    It’s looks really really interesting

10. Terry groves

Terry groves Karting

Oct 21, 2014
    Suffolk
    Full Name:
    Terry Groves
    Yes the 308 gt4 chassis needed shortening to get the wheelbase correct, everything else like suspension was just standard. The car was built to a rolling chassis stage for the guy to complete himself. Never got a chance to weigh her before she left but a would say weight would be somewhere around the GTB weight. Need to save some money as I now have the urge to do another GT4 based car for me. Maybe with an Evo version with exposed carbon bodywork.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A shorter wheelbase help.s. Lightness is next to godlyness.
    To me exposed cf works against the whole dino look which is so much more classic. It take mine painted cf, and maybe the doors in kvelar so not too light feeling.
    A Gt4 motor with trumpet intakes on the webbers and some good pistons somehwre in the 250-300hp range, one could even just convert a 328/mondial motor to webbers.
    Seats from a 550 maranello, the rest of the interior period classic.
    Lets say, under 2800lbs and 275 hp is an ideal blend for a great lithe road car.

Where id you get the body molds, are they faithful to a dino?

12. Terry groves

Terry groves Karting

Oct 21, 2014
    Suffolk
    Full Name:
    Terry Groves
    I got the moulds a while back they were taken from a 206gt in the 80’s when Dinos weren’t worth anything. I still have magazine from 2008 with Dinos in the classifieds at £45k incredible increase in value in such a short time.
    To me the Dino is the most important road car Ferrari ever produced. It paved the way for the 308,328,288, F40 pretty much every mid engined Ferrari can trace it linerage back to the first mid engined road car the Dino.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Wow a 206 even prettier.
    A light Dino with v8 power, what could be better. And it’s all still a “Ferrari”.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Unfortunately this isn't going to do what people think it's going to do.