C8 CORVETTE | Page 50 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I think the sketch is highlighting that area much more than would be seen in 'real life'. Not that much different than current car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2 likes this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    pearsonhaus and BJK like this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  5. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Oof, fugly.

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    belt lines are way too high on all new cars.
    prefer more glass(ala older bmw’s).

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think I'd rather have a 308 kit car based on a Fiero!

jm2 likes this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #1233 jm2, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    And in other news:
    From Motor Trend :The C8 Corvette's somewhat fussy styling was already locked and loaded with Michael Simcoe took over as GM design chief. But sources in Detroit say the midcycle redesign Simcoe had originally planned for 2025 has now been put on the back burner as GM pours money into its electric vehicle program.

However, insiders say an interior redesign aimed at, among other things, fixing the confusing array of buttons and switches cascading down the buttress on the right side of the center console has survived the bean counters. The redesigned interior will reportedly appear on 2023 C8s.

MotorTrend Says An Interior Redesign Is Coming For The 2023 Corvette
    By
    Keith Cornett
    -
    Feb 22, 2021

We know that when C8 Corvette designers went to work on the mid-engine sportscars’ interior, there were lots of discussions regarding how the cockpit should be driver-focused. We also know that engineers wanted the ability to control the car’s functions not just through the center console display but also through physical buttons on the dash to control various cabin functions. The solution ended up being known by Corvette enthusiasts as the Great Wall of Buttons which serves as the C8’s unique way to access the car’s HVAC controls.

That design element is probably the most polarizing based on all the reviews we’ve seen, and we think it even was the major reason the C8 Corvette ended up on Bloomberg News list of the worst interiors of the year for 2020.

Our personal take is that once you get used to the buttons and their functions, it is very intuitive to control the HVAC systems there instead of diving into the touch screen display and having to navigate several screens to get to those controls. But we can’t help but feel a little sorry for passengers who can feel somewhat isolated from the driver on the other side of that downward-sloping row of buttons.

Now comes word from MotorTrend’s “MT Confidential” section in their April 2021 issue that suggests a redesign for the Great Wall of Buttons may be in the works for the 2023 Corvette.

Here is what “MT Confidential” has to say:

The C8 Corvette’s somewhat fussy styling was already locked and loaded when Michael Simcoe took over at GM Design Chief.

But sources in Detroit say the mid-cycle re-design Simcoe had originally planned for 2025 has been put on the back burner as GM pours money in its electrical vehicle program. However, inside say an interior redesign aimed at among other things fixing the array of buttons and switches cascading down the buttress on the right side of the center console has survived the bean counters. The redesigned interior will reportedly appear on 2023 C8’s.

Whether or not an interior redesign is officially underway is something we’ll have to wait and see. Is this something you would like to see Chevy’s interior designers focused on? Let us know in the comments below!

Source:
    MotorTrend via MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    About the buttons:

Yes. Ugly
    Yes. Actually pretty practical.

I like the toggle switch to change the temperature. You don't need to look down. Its completely intuitive. Much better than going through layers of touch screens.

10. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have no issues with the buttons and agree with Bob that they are actually very practical.
    The C8 is pretty much the best selling Corvette they could ever imagine.
    I honestly doubt GM would invest tons of money for an updated interior while the car sales are going crazy.
    I have my doubts about the motor trend story, but who knows.

thecarreaper, TheMayor and k wright like this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Same with the tilted touch screen. Kinda fussy looking but actually practical in everyday use.

12. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I don’t mind the buttons as arranged- I hate touchscreens. I would love more buttons on all new cars.

Boomhauer and k wright like this.
  13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I do think touchscreens are overused but people seem to like them. That's why every car comes with one. Blame Tesla.

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  15. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Agree row of buttons looked odd at first but it is so much better than navigating touch screen layers to adjust HVAC. I hated that McLaren gave up on the door mounted units and forced use of distracting touch screen for HVAC adjustments. Really enjoy ability to change fan speed, adjust temps, seat heaters without taking eyes off the road to fool around with finicky touchscreen.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

TheMayor and sainthoo like this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Most people who "review" cars try to find "something wrong" because negativity is always more interesting and sometimes controversy brings in more viewers. Also people who review cars rarely drive them more than 20 minutes. They have no understanding of what its like driving day in, day out.

My first impression of the row of buttons was "ick! What were they thinking?". Now I accept them not because they are attractive (I still think they are not) but because its pretty easy to use them-- which I do.

Same for the angle of the touchscreen. Its odd -- but it actually works pretty well being angled.

k wright, Boomhauer, bball16 and 3 others like this.
  17. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like they were wise enough to make each button larger than a fingerprint. At least they didn't make them tiny-tiny like you have to put up with on cell phones.

k wright likes this.
  18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is a human factors formula for every type of button interface. 3/4 of an inch is most common for this type.

k wright and thecarreaper like this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    https://carbuzz.com/news/revealed-new-2022-corvette-exterior-colors
    Revealed! New 2022 Corvette Exterior Colors
    51 MINS AGO BY JAY TRAUGOTT SPORTS CARS / 4 COMMENTS
    Three are being retired. Here are the replacements.

It's standard practice for automakers to make packaging adjustments every new model year, and this can include adding and/or eliminating some items. Exterior colors are among the most common changes. Last week we learned Chevrolet will retire three Corvette Stingray exterior colors at the end of the 2021 model year. These include Sebring Orange, Zeus Bronze, and Shadow Gray. Buyers have until April 29 to order the first two and May 27 for the latter.

And now Corvette Blogger claims it has found General Motor's internal color names and RPO codes for the new 2022 model year replacements colors thanks to - of all places - Chevy's Czech language website.

Image Unavailable, Please Login CarBuzz
    Save
    Save
    Save

Although European buyers can only purchase a C8 with the 3LT trim package and select colors, us Americans are under no such restrictions. So, without further ado, here are those new colors: Hypersonic Gray Metallic, Caffeine Brown Metallic, and Amplify Orange Tintcoat. As you've probably already noticed, the new colors are more like different tints of the outgoing ones rather than something completely different.

Hopefully, the Hypersonic Gray Metallic will ape the color of the Dark Silver Corvette C8.R race car. For now, Chevy is not commenting on anything related to the 2022 Corvette, but we expect that information to come by mid-summer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Chevrolet
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Chevrolet
    Save

Rarest Dodge Vehicles On The Planet
    These Are The 28 Cars Not Returning For 2021
    Supposedly, the final day to order a 2021 Corvette in any color or trim is June 17. We don't expect to see any drastic changes for 2022, but 2023 could be a different story. Interior design changes originally planned for 2025 have been moved up to 2023, and they're likely to include a restyled interior layoutthat'll eliminate the series of buttons and switches running down the side of the center console.

GM's new design chief, Michael Simcoe, is apparently not happy with what his predecessor approved. Some owners have also complained of quality control problems regarding the center console's stitching.

Save
    Save
    Save

SOURCE CREDITS: CORVETTE BLOGGER

energy88 likes this.
  20. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    To me. Caffeine Brown looks like discontinued Zeus Bronze!

Caffeine Brown-

Zeus Bronze

Boomhauer, thecarreaper and jm2 like this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    jm2 and thecarreaper like this.
  22. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Very cool. I am glad the brown is still available. Hoping my situation changes and i can buy a lightly used C8 in a few years.

23. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Weirdly, the C8 looks kind of super car retro fantastic in the generic black bag covering. Actually like it w/ all the creases and angles smoothed out, even the flat wheels match the "esthetic".

24. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'm starting to see a bunch of these in my little corner of the Metromess. Good looking cars but they'll lose their "exotic" status soon enough.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  25. twestby

twestby Rookie

Jan 20, 2007
    Pa, Fl
    Full Name:
    todd
    Here! Here! Keep the Ferrari, get another... a vette in the stable is ok too. The more the better ;)