Maserati Khamsin | Page 374 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Joe stop speculating, he does not know about this car.

Stand by please all of you, stop posting about it, grazie.

boralogist likes this.
  2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Thank God and well put, respectively!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's on the internet Marc ... this website is well known. Don't be so sure.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bob don't worry and why don't you go take some fresh photos of your Bora for us;-)

MK1044 likes this.
  5. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Sorry Marc ;) It's just the more I tear it down, The more parts I realize Image Unavailable, Please Login I need!!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    When you thought you'd just empty the ashtray and and and...!:)

Your target is KHAMSIN CINQUANTA June 16-19 2022 in sixteen months, you can do it!:)

71Satisfaction likes this.
  7. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Ha! Yes if only that were true. Got a box of goodies from McGraths yesterday.... Got to get any money spent before the wife realises that we might be able to have a holiday this year:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    While I think of it, Does anyone have a good image of the wiring diagram... The does I find online have some of the wire colours in-decipherable.

When I did my last car, I found a version of the wiring diagram that someone had coloured up. It made making a new loom so much easier. I'd like to do the same for this car so if anyone has a high res image they could share I will colour it up and reshare with this group.

Thanks

9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    if you think you need a lot parts during tear down, just wait until you see how many you need during reassembly!

series1 likes this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #9335 Nembo1777, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    I think your question is very valid, the workshops -the best of which will have created their own- might be reluctant to part with that unless you pay a little fee but you could contact Andy at McGraths and ask him candidly if they have a clarified wiring diagram you can get.

But first we have to think of the few who have completely restored a K on their own; Graeme in Australia, John in Denmark and Achim.

Achim can you help? The other two did it a few years ago and may not have that a hand, if they drew one at all. I will contact them for you if Achim can't help.

series1 likes this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Depends how thorough you dismantling is.

In December 1986 at Silverstone I had a huge crash in an historic Formula Ford (Hawke DL11 1973, chassis bent three wheels torn off, Hewland gearbox damaged) and did the dismantling, parts sourcing, rebuild myself even though I had never done anything more complex than servicing my 100 cc racing karts before. I never told my parents (who were in France) about it until they visited in the spring after I had finished and begun racing so they would not worry and they were more than a bit shocked when I told them lol.

Everything into small labelled plastic bags and boxes. Lots of lists.

I could source most bits but had to get the rear uprights fabricated from scratch, which I did after locating the engineer who had drawn the car over a decade before and putting him on the phone with my fabricator so he got the specs right.

It helped being located in the Silicon valley of racing that the UK Midland are.

Yes I agree a road car is far more complicated than a single seater but it is the same principle. That is why some of the best restorers we interviewed for my Classiche Masters book said at first do nothing just take it all in, don't rush into dismantling. Adolfo Orsi in the course of his interview for the same book said the same: don't rush into dismantling, PLUS do old fashioned research through books and period magazines, not just internet as people tend to do nowadays.

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    If a high res wiring diagram does exist I would be glad to post it on my website.

Ivan

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Could not agree more. When I tackled the restoration of the Vignale spyder prototype I spent the first two years just studying the car and doing research. This included locating a photo of the car before it was delivered with different wheels and trim. This was helpful as it explained why there were several places were holes had been welded up from the previous trim. And most importantly, take a lot of photos before touching anything.

Ivan

MK1044, 71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes I remember that interview for the same book at your house Ivan.

It was right after a huge overnight drive from Lime Rock, Connecticut -the photo video team had too much gear to fly to this final task- and my own flight to Miami right after.

It was a very intense week in a very busy year, I wish we'd had spare time but we got it all done.

It was great to visit you, see your cars, your work and record your tales, including that one.

15. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle
    To Whom It May Concern:

You've probably already heard about the recent evolution within the Maserati Classiche department in Modena. This year, they are working primarily on the Parts Catalogue. With Classiche Masters we want to give them a recommendation.

Based on your experience and needs for the Khamsin, what parts are hard to find or which parts are really needed in larger volumes?

16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    A couple come immediately to my mind:

1. The Vitaloni stalk assembly. This is not only true for the Khamsin but also for the Ghibli, Bora, Indy and Merak SS that used some variant of these switches
    2. Bosch hydraulic components such as the headlight lift switch, seat adjustment, pistons, etc. Locating Citroen components seems easier as other cars such as the SM used them. The Bosch stuff is much harder.

Ivan

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    For Bosch I went in 2009 to Mercedes Classic near Stuttgart when visiting the city on business; I sat down with one of the technicians there and had him call the right people at Bosch.

Mercedes have priority over the parts....

I was reluctantly given some information but they made me feel like I was trying a to rob their bank!

So unless there is drastic change such as a company to company deal to increase production I am not sure how new parts could be secured...or perhaps a deal with a prominent independent Mercedes 600 restorer since those are the Mercedes models that used the same Bosch parts.

Time will tell what really comes out of the announcements made about this expansion of Maserati Classiche, of course I want to see it happen very much but will Fiat come through with the funds and staffing?

Until then the used market is where Bosch parts must be found.

18. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle
    Things are happening as we speak.
    In recent conversations between Maserati Classiche and Classiche Masters, we have received more details on the company to company negotiations. They tread lightly, take step by step but this is a vast improvement over the situation 12 months ago.

red27 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  19. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

If I remember correctly one of the issues with Bosch hydraulic parts is that many years ago Bosch did an internal transfer of those type of parts from their Automotive division to their Aviation division.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's prominent Mercedes restorer from the USA who's right here on Fchat.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/pass.60874/

Marc, stay away from political discussions with him as you two are on opposite poles.

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you Bob, only Maserati and Bosch talk here.

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well as I mentioned there is a sort of locked relationship between Bosch and Mercedes so I want to find the weak spot and cut it with a virtual axe to facilitate a better supply.

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What's that supposed to mean?

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    There will be news on 1026 the parts car in the next few days.

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    In fact I can bring the news now.

Kevin in Texas, with whom I just spoke, whose mother passed away 36 hours ago, so he had more important things on his mind, is in fact keeping the car; AM120US1026 and will endeavor to get it going again.

He is smart and has had hundreds of cars since he was 14, his dad thought him a lot about working on them. He realizes parts cost and availability is a consideration but he is very decisive. I will enjoy sharing advice with him by email and phone and perhaps he will join us here eventually but in any case he is keeping it and I did have a good offer for him but no go, he explained it is not about the money at all, he is very interested in it so there you have it, no parts from this car, sorry.

The good thing is one more will hopefully get saved and I believe he can do it!

MK1044 and AMLC like this.