308 air filter | FerrariChat

308 air filter

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnvwatts, Mar 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnvwatts

johnvwatts Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    Is there an after market alternaive anyone has found to the original ferrari 308 (carb car) air filter (other than K and n) ? At £45 ($80) these look very bad value for something thats worth £10 on any other car. Tried the parts cross ref thread but could see this discussed before.

2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

On Ebay UK there is a company that sells Baldwin air filters for a carb 308 for $43.50. I just ordered a replacement last week as this is the air filter that I currently have on my 79 308 GTB.

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The Ebay store is called UK Auto Parts

4. johnvwatts

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    Thanks, I look them up.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Baldwin is in fact original fitment on our cars, B253 is the oil number, don't have air filter off hand, but I use them....the upside is they retail at Truck Supplys so you'll be inline with guys that say "Peterbuilt" or Cummins Deisel" over their pockets....

6. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    That would be Baldwin PA2094.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks!!!!

I always save the box top, then misplace it! LOL!

8. johnvwatts

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    Thanks for the part no. My local parts supplier reckons he can get one.

9. johnvwatts

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    Just been quoted £79.90 plus 17.5% vat but local supplier!!!!!

10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    I get my Baldwins at the local Catapillar dealer.Don't tell them it's for a Ferrari,just give them the pn,(my case B253) and $12.95 and you're good to go.
    B

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    John just as a point of view I purchased my K&N filter when I bought the 308 back in 1999. It cost me $50 then and I bought it through a boat supplier. It seemed they were used a lot on inboard boats. I also purchased the "cleaner kit" for $10. I clean it every 2 years and still have a lot left. So $60 over 11 years is pretty cheap compared to buying a new paper filter every 3 years. Just my thoughts and I tend to be very fugal.

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The reason the filter costs less on other cars is because the manufacturer can ammortize tooling and production run costs over many more parts than those for a carb 308. The market for these filters is tiny so the very fact a replacement exists is a bonus. I'm all for being frugal but the problem here lies in the market size it is not a manufacturer adding the 'Ferrari' tax.

K&N and ITG (both the same price) are your only performance options and all the others are paper filters. I personally agree with Steve King's post and run a K&N on my carb 308.

13. Dinodog

Dinodog Karting

Sep 2, 2009
    Birmingham,Alabama
    Full Name:
    Dean Matthews
    anyone know of a aftermarket replacement air filter for the 2vi cars?

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    John,

You want me to get a price here in Houston, maybe in "case" quantities???

15. johnvwatts

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    I think I'll go with the K + N . At £45 its the same price as the Ferrari one but a better filter.

16. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Actually, it isn't, Both GM and Chrysler rejected the K&N filters for OEM use as they let too many fine particulates through as compared to the paper element filters. Fine particulates= upper end cylinder wear.

Doug

ragtop1 and mike996 like this.
  17. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
  18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's funny that if you Google "Baldwin B253" they are twelve bucks but if you Google "Ferrari 308 oil filter" they are twenty five bucks on eBay.

Also on K&N air filters: I bought one for my QV and it didn't fit, it was a couple of mm's too long so take the hype with a grain of salt.

Erol likes this.
  19. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
  20. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The local Ferrari dealer sells the Baldwin filter. Afraid to ask how much.

21. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I havent tried that particular filter, however, the last time that I placed an order for the UFI filter, I received the one described in the picture above as the high quality aftermarket filter. Looks like that is the substitute if they are out of stock.

Erol likes this.
  22. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I used both K&N and regular UFI filter in my carbed 308 and I always thought my car sounded different with the K&N, if that is even possible. Not worse or better, just different.

Erol likes this.
  23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    KNs do not filter as well as paper. Whether that is a concern or not is up to the purchaser of the filter. The only place we used KNs consistently was in the marine application where dust is not generally much of a consideration.

If a filter will flow sufficient air for the engine to produce max power, installing a "higher flow" filter will not produce more power. We did lots of dyno tests with various filters/configurations and a good paper filter produced as much power as a KN... or NO filter at all. Interestingly, on the track we found that no filter often produced less power than having a filter. That's the one thing a standard dyno cannot do - test for the effect of the car moving through the air and how it disrupts the airflow into the carb/fuel injector system. A filter/airbox smooths out any such disruptions.

cavallo_nero and Erol like this.
  24. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #24 ginoBBi512, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Get the K & N, they are the best, and be done with it, makes the intake have a nice growl to it !! They also last a long time as well .The only way to obtain a little more HP, is to install a Tubi, and use a test pipe, the car will literally wake up so to speak. My car is pretty quick, 102 K miles and going. Im talking bolt on stuff . I agree with the OP, the filter is not in itself going to make more power, the K& N is a better quality unit, in my experience.When you blip the throttle between shifts, you can here the right side intake , take in a gulp of air, it sounds really good.

Thank you

25. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Gino - if, by saying K&N is the "best," you are talking about the fact that they are well-made and durable, I totally agree. You can buy one today and still be using it in 10+ years. But as far as filtering, plenty of objective testing supports that they are not as effective as a pleated paper filter.

As stated in an earlier post, I'm not suggesting folks shouldn't buy a KN, just that they be aware that it is NOT as effective an air filter as a OEM-sytle paper filter. OTOH, for the amount of miles that many (most?) people put on their 3x8's per annum, having no filter at all would probably not noticeably affect engine wear for the "life" of the car! NO, I'm NOT suggesting that! ;)

Erol, MFlanagan and Nuvolari like this.