Early 30 year guy needing financial/ferrari advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Early 30 year guy needing financial/ferrari advice

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ascend, Feb 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thank you guys. Well, I am gonna wait for a good Ford GT to pop up. But, speciale is just as good I feel like.

Rick Weston and Elisesko like this.
  2. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I used to own a 05 Ford GT and now own a 458 Spider (have not driven a Speciale).

Similar power but developed differently with low end torque for GT and high revs for 458.
    The Speciale will out handle it and has electronic stability control which the GT does not.
    The GT has a 6 speed manual vs a DCT on the 458. How do you use your car and where?

The GT is a 15 year old car and will likely have some issues just due to age or non use if it's low mileage.
    However it's a Ford and will be cheaper by far to repair problem for problem.

There may be some parts availability issues with the GT to consider.

Covid and the movie Ford vs Ferrari are responsible for the GT's price increases over the last year.

I think either car is likely to hold it's value fairly well.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Someone on here bought Tesla stock instead of a Ferrari. I'm not recommending that, but an investment is something for you to consider.

4. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    458 Speciale. It is a special car. Was the benchmark I used when I designed the new Gen Ford GT. Ford bought 10 of teh best sprts car around in 2015 for MTC/Ford to evaluate relative to the Ford GT. Drove the snot out of all the cars, on the roads, on track, pro drivers, normal drivers, etc. HAd Porsche Turbo, Lambo, Macca, Corvette, on and on. And in the end teh 458 Speciale was voted best road and track car by everyone one.

CoreyNJ, Mr. Uy, sisiay and 2 others like this.
  5. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    I test drove a 2005 Ford GT and really didn’t enjoy it. Too torque-focused of a car. It’s not as enjoyable when you barely have to shift the thing. Shifter wasn’t too pleasant either but could get used to it. Visibility not great in the car and zero storage. Didn’t jive with me. Ended up buying a 360 CS instead. I don’t think you’d go wrong with any of 360 CS/Scud/Speciale. Depends how modern of an experience you want and what kind of performance you want.

Twosherpaz likes this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Good call for what you are looking for, but be ready to jump quickly when what you want is up for sale.

Thecadster likes this.
  7. Larusso

Larusso Rookie

Feb 22, 2021
    Paradise Valley
    Full Name:
    Larry R
    The last naturally aspirated V12 Ferrari will make, the 812.

AlexBen likes this.
  8. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    First three all work. Excellent cars. I have all three. Perhaps multiples, lol.

Mercedes will tank with depreciation.

Cannot really comment on the Ford. More are in the USA than any other country. The one I drove was low on steering fluid and a horrific lap.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Stradale is obviously my pick. Unless you are chasing laptimes in which case none of the cars there will do anymore.

My 2nd pick is the Speciale and then a 997.2 GT3 RS over a 997.1 GT3 RS.

SLS AMG is nice as a GT but really is in a class below the rest in terms of driving experience.

The Ford GT is an amazing car to drive but does not feel special. Dont get me wrong, it handles superbly, feels very planted but i just didnt get the same emotions i did after driving a Stradale or GT3RS.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well opinions certainly differ on this point....the FGT is incredibly special to drive.

Thecadster, DIGMAN52 and ChipG like this.
  11. Harrybond

Harrybond Rookie

Oct 19, 2018
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Harold Bond
    I would go for the 16M. It is a numbered car. All of the other cars are not a numbered series. I think the numbered cars have a much better potential for going up. Even the FGT Heritage isn't numbered. They only made 350ish but they aren't numbered. The Scud's are still raw and aggressive cars.

12. Blerter

Blerter Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

360CS hands down is the best to drive, lowest cost to maintain, will not depreciate and gets the emotional respect it deserves. Having a real (albeit controlled by a pump) gearbox also takes away costly eGear issues on the 458 and double clutch on the 997. The 458 and 997 will beat a CS hands down, but the noise, rush of 419hp and the retro looks it has wins every time. And, they're cheaper than the others.

Here's one and be aware, this is Australian $$$, so much cheaper than your budget: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/ferrari/360/challenge-stradale-badge/

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Go with the car YOU like best. Deal with the rest as it comes. Consider yourself fortunate to have 400k to spend on a toy you only intend to drive 2k miles a year.

4ROARE likes this.
  14. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Just watch your head on the doors!

Thecadster likes this.
  15. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    360CS is a great car for sure. I guess what I heard is incorrect that 360cs costs more than 458 for maintenance due to belt replacement. It is really hard to find a good 360CS though. Most cars on market have huge mileage and prior hx.

Thank you. I am not rich by any means but I thought it's about time I pull trigger. No more of delayed gratification. Realized that life is too short for that.

LOL! If I can even get one for a reaonsable price. I get the hype but price is bonkers for car with production number >4000

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You're looking at the wrong side of the equation.....sure there is supply, but the demand for the car is HUGE which will keep the prices up......because every Ford fan seems to want one and there are hundreds of thousands of those guys. And it seems like every major collection or auto museum has one or more.

But I guess from seeing your thread from 2 years ago and currently, you are buying a Speciale anyway.

17. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    458 speciale has my vote

18. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    That's the way I see it. I imagine it's a totally different and more rewarding experience spinning up the Speciale's flat plane V8 to 9k rpm over the Ford's supercharged 6500 redline.

19. earlyapex

earlyapex Rookie

May 6, 2009
    Sound, driving experience, looks, straight line speed? What's important to you? Going to dinner? If you like the 997, my GT2 is a real hoot. It's as fast as the modern cars but has the "old school" manual and overall feel, but also not as comfy. They are about $200k and are actually appreciating some - plus insane porsche reliability. If you want "dinner-able," sound, looks and speed - Ferrari V12s are tough to beat for a similar "investment..."

20. ZF123

ZF123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2015
    Bay Area
    i think the 997 GT3 RS (either gen) would be great for you. Super engaging, fairly rare, and it's a fun car to drive. it will also hold value and potentially appreciate due to stick/hydraulic steering/raw/etc. Your biggest expense will most likely be coolant lines (not mandatory but recommended if you're buying a stock car), other than that it's just consumables and oil changes. It's a car you can drive without worry.

430 scud is prob my favorite NA V8 Ferrari, it will be the next car I get. however it will probably remain a weekend car as Porsche > Ferrari in terms of reliability.

21. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    My pick is CS, Challenge car made street legal, reminds me of P-car 73 RS

anunakki likes this.
  22. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim

What makes 360CS so special?

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the sound, looks, point and go, the emotions, hard to find clean ones.

paulchua likes this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I vote for the FGT. It’s easily my favorite car. Forced to keep only one car, it would be the FGT, and I would discard my 812, Performante, Viper ACR, and even my brand new 765LT. It’s the total package. Everyone loves the car, and it generates nothing but positive attention, and zero envy or negativity (we tend to ignore it, but if we are honest with ourselves, Italian supercars bring with them a certain stigma). The styling is the Mona Lisa of cars: it will never age, and the curves never get old to the eye. The ease of maintenance, cost of ownership, and reliability is simply unmatched. Despite what others have said, the car always feels special to drive. It’s my slowest car, but for the street, it’s more than adequate. If you want to run laps, grab a Porsche GT variant, if you want a true icon that will always be amazing, pay whatever it takes and get a FGT.

25. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    What do you gents think about 360 cs vs 997.2 gt3 rs.

Seems like mint example for CS go for 260-270k and mint example for 997.2 gt3 rs go for 220k.

Is buying a low mileage CS for 260k a bad idea? Should I stick with cheaper and less maintenance headache rs? (But obviously not as beautiful as 360cs)

What about cars like this?
    https://www.cauleyferrari.com/used-vehicle-2004-ferrari-360-challenge-stradale-c-375/
    https://www.prestigeimports.com/vehicle-details/used-2004-ferrari-360-challenge-stradale--north-miami-beach-fl-id-34208128

and how liquid (i know) are 360cs? If i ever want to upgrade to a different car? Seems like lots of cs stay on market for a long time.