Italian Translation for Replica | FerrariChat

Italian Translation for Replica

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Carolina Dyno, Feb 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carolina Dyno

Carolina Dyno Rookie

Apr 25, 2013
    I am restoring a replica 330 P4 for a customer and he would like to have the switch panel labeled in Italian. I'm afraid using Google translate or similar will result in a word like "Start" being turned into "Begin" or something like that and it looking foolish. Hoping someone here might help me out with the appropriate words...

Start
    Ignition
    Lights
    Blinker
    Horn
    Wiper
    Fan

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Type it into bing. \and if I know Italians half the buttons wouldnt say anything! haha

3. Carolina Dyno

Carolina Dyno Rookie

Apr 25, 2013
    In the original pictures I can find well more than half aren't labeled lol...

Same concern with Bing as google. Direct translations can look pretty foolish to a native speaker. For example translation "start" to begin" could be a pretty good translation. That was my first switch and I'm already concerned it's wrong:

"Start" = Inizio
    "Start your engines" = Avvia i motori

My assumption is that Avvia would be correct but for all I know all Italians don't even say "start" when referencing an engine, maybe they say "crank" or "fire" etc. Same goes for the rest, imagine all the ways you could describe a blinker/turn signal/indicator...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone likes this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    An idea is to look at an old users manual (they used to be multilingual, for instance Italian /English / French) and you can use that as a kind of "Rosetta Stone" ;)

absostone likes this.
  5. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    #5 morcal, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Start=Avviamento
    Ignition=Iniezione
    Lights=Luci
    Blinker=Frecce
    Horn=Trombe

Boomhauer and absostone like this.
  6. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    #6 morcal, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Wiper=Tergicristalli
    Fan=Ventole
    That is how a mechanical minded Italian driver would like to have the switch panel.
    The word "Ignition" would be better also translated " Accensione" ( Firing)

Boomhauer and absostone like this.
  7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Cal what about accensione? is this word more used for an actual fire or flame?

8. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    I do not own unfortunately a P4 so do not know the actual sequence for starting the engine. If hitting the ignition switch you start the injection pumps, the translation would be "Iniezione". If you fire the engine, it would be " Accensione"

Boomhauer likes this.