812 or F8? | FerrariChat

812 or F8?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kauf, Feb 22, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kauf

kauf Rookie

Feb 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    CK
    I’m thinking about buying my first Ferrari but I’m really torn between an 812 or F8. I love the looks of both for different reasons, I can’t imagine I’d be disappointed with my decision either way, but I’m really on the fence.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Thecadster, LARRYH and kauf like this.
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If you can afford the 812 maybe consider the Pista?

Gh21631, LARRYH and kauf like this.
  4. kauf

kauf Rookie

Feb 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    CK
    I’d be going pre-owned on an 812, so it puts it in the same neighborhood as an F8. Pista’s a good option to aspire to. :)

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It really depends on what you intend to do with the car.
    If you want to enjoy the best engine, go for the 812 since there is nothing like its V12.
    If you seriously consider tracking your car, even occasionally, go for the F8 (not that the 812 cannot be tracked, but its weight would become a penalty after a while).
    ... if you have some space to park cars, you could have a 488 and an F12 for about the same price as a new F8 or a lightly used 812 - you would have the best of both world but of course with older cars and lower (relatively) performance.

LARRYH and kauf like this.
  6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The only answer is to try both. You'll know within 10 minutes which is more you.

They're both very fast, but the biggest differences will be in the power delivery (turbo vs NA), the sound (812 louder, F8 more muffled), the 812 sits an inch or two higher, and the polar rotation of the 812 is farther ahead, while the F8 wheels are at your feet and the car feels like it rotates at your hip. With the F12/812 the car steers about 2ft in front of your feet and the rotation feels more around where your knees are. Hard to describe but you feel it instinctively once you're moving.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You really have to drive both my friend. It's like asking us should one like Popeye's Chicken Sandwich or Chik-fil-a better?
    Welcome, and let us know which you go with!

kauf and Nembo1777 like this.
  8. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Two completely different experiences. I own an 812 Superfast and have tracked it 3 times and loved it. I came from 458 Italia and 488. Nothing beats the sound of the V12 NA engine but it’s a car with little forgiveness and will kill you in a heartbeat. The F8 is much easier to drive and to live with but for me lacks the same adrenalin rush. Despite scaring the cr.p out of me from time to time, the 812 is a keeper.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

AMN, Volquete, Thecadster and 2 others like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Remember this, though, about Clarkson, my friend. His first review of the 348 was nothing short of amazing. In fact, the song he chooses to epitomize it was Tina Turner's "Simply the Best."

We all know how much he loved the 355; however, experiencing both first hand - I will say it's quite the stretch to say the 348 is garbage, and the 355 the best car he's ever had.

Clarkson had a mea culpa on this - saying he drank the cool-aid and is now on the wagon. I argue he's never put the beverage down. Take the 412, easy to pick on, considering it was first made in 1972. Clarkson declared this 2012. Picking a car that's 40 years old and compare it with contemporaries is not exactly objective.

Besides, I argue Daft Punk put the 412 back on the map as 'cool' in every way.

On the Testarossa (don't forget the Mondial was its dinner) - Clarkson declared the F50 as the worst car in the world in history (worst than either.) Somebody offer me their F50 - quick!

Never mind, I am very close to Clarkson's NSX Laguna Seca time with a Mondial t. (he was driving on track tires with a spec C too - 13 years newer model!) ROFL

Clarkson's primary job is to be a comedian, entertainer first, car reviewer second. His whole style is exaggeration and hyperbole. In fact, I argue that's what makes him successful, as most folks are not hard-core car enthusiasts.

10. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Popeye’s chicken sandwich. Lighter car versus heavier car.

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    How about vs KFC?

12. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private

13. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    When the advertising is better than the food, you might have a problem. Every time I go to KFC and wind up regretting it. If you pull open the chicken and only at KFC do you see tons of black stuff, maybe that’s not a real healthy chicken.

Of course I also think Taco Bell beef has too much bone material and that Pepsi tastes yucky and Pizza Hut has the worst pizza. PepsiCo has not sponsored this content.

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    T-Bell just entered the ring...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

kes7u likes this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Once I started buying mid-engine cars, I lost all desire for front engine cars from a fun car to drive POV.

kes7u, slm and paulchua like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed, love the mid-engine dynamics.

slm likes this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I love u Paul but ur views on Clarkon ‘s are blasphemous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    :)
    He'll probably punch me (or pour water on my crotch) if he even cared for a nobody like me.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Just don't try to feed him a cold sandwich.....

paulchua likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Shark01 likes this.
  21. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    F8 or 812.......can't go wrong either way!

kauf and paulchua like this.
  22. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    The answer drive both is correct. I have both. Some like the mid engine and others front. And it depends on what you ask them to do as others have suggested.

I have had this conversation with another on this board- he has come to the realization that he is a mid engine guy as I was coming to the realization I am an old GT guy ( we are the same age).

I enjoy the 812 more but I do more driving in my life and use it for anything and everything. The F8 is both sexier and more ordinary. The sound which generally I don’t care about is blah. My wife does not hear me come home and I’m in the garage and in the house before she hears me in the F8. That said, it handles amazing and is lightning quick. An amazing mid engine car.

The 812 made me forget about the F12 I traded in. Useable, amazing GT car with high end top speed and keeps on going without seeming a limit. Feels fast and tight and high and low speeds. Does not disappoint in anything.

Which do I love to drive? I reach for the 812 first. But when I am in the F8, I don’t even think about the other.

Don’t know if that helps but what’s for you makes sense if you know what you will ask the car to do and who you are.

gds7368, AMN, 96redLT4 and 1 other person like this.
  23. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Id buy a 488 and f12

LVP488 and kes7u like this.
  24. fasthorsef1

fasthorsef1 Rookie

Jan 7, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bill Lateef
    I'm in the same boat man....thinking about first Ferrari possibly....812 vs F8S. I love NA cars, what better than a v12 Ferrari. Endangered species. While the 812SF looks very nice from the exterior, the exterior design elements of the F8 are spectacular. It looks so sexy. However, the acoustic experience provided by the car is very important to me as it makes the driving experience. This will be more of a long term hold and I may track it 1-2x/year. For weekend cruises and mountain road runs, whats more smiles per miles...812 SF vs F8?

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes completely and and also no. 812 is much much more fun to drive than a 488, for example. Though I agree about mid engined cars in general, there are few that are not fun.