How do you keep your cloth braided hoses looking good? | FerrariChat

How do you keep your cloth braided hoses looking good?

Discussion in '308/328' started by oceanview328, Feb 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #1 oceanview328, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    I'm going to replace them all but, how do I keep them looking good? I'm sure they will collect dirt and but, the cleaner I get my old hoses, the worse they look. What's your solution?

Also, is there any particular model hose cutter tool you would recommend that keeps your cuts looking nice and clean?

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I used a thin band of heat shrink tubing on the very end of the cut just to keep it neat looking and stop fraying. I don't know that it matters or if I would do it again.

oceanview328 likes this.
  3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had my engine out to do head gaskets and replaced all the hoses and had it all pristine but now it's been a year and a half and 5,000 miles and it looks well, less than pristine. There's not much you can do in this regard other than keep it parked in the garage. If you spray them with Armor-All it will just attract more crud and if you constantly wipe them you'll wear down the braid. If you want to use the car for it's intended purpose you just have to accept that it will eventually look like Steve McQueen's 917 at the end of the movie "Le Mans" Dirty and beaten up.

oceanview328 likes this.
  4. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I recall some years ago there was a poster who used a thin coat of black RTV just around the edge to stop the fraying.

oceanview328 likes this.
  5. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for the responses, guys. So, here's a follow-up question: If it's impossible to keep the braided hoses looking good, how much of a heresy would it be to use plain rubber hoses instead? I don't think I really will but, I'm interested in y'all's opinions.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    For a full concours restoration you need to use the braid. And that goes hand-in-hand with the statement that the only way to keep them looking good is to not drive it. The only way to keep a perfect 100 point car at perfect 100 points is to not really drive it.

For a car you are going to drive the regular rubber hoses are the way to go.

mcimino likes this.
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have been having a terrible time finding cloth braided hoses in the US at the right size. They all seem to come from Europe and they can't be easily found or bought. I just end up using high quality rubber hoses freely available in the US. I stay far away from the concorso judges, opting to tell them to eff off instead.

tbakowsky, oceanview328 and dinoart like this.
  8. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    I’d use rubber next time. I bought some braided ones before and they look messy now!

9. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Brian that's why you need two identical cars, one you don't drive and the other one you beat the heck out of it...

Saabguy likes this.
  10. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    italiancarparts.com has them (about half way down the page) but, they are expensive as hell: http://www.italiancarparts.com/parts/308.html#hoses .

tx2000252 likes this.
  11. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks again for your responses. I'm not interested in having my car judged. I just want it to be correct, within reason, to keep up the value of the car (I don't want to put something on it that will hurt it's value). But, I also want to drive and enjoy it. It sounds like most people probably won't care whether they are braided. So, I reckon regular rubber hoses will be the best for me.

12. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You can get metric braided hoses from Belmetric too. Prices are more reasonable. Sold by the meter.

Saabguy, moysiuan and oceanview328 like this.
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You need 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 14mm, 16mm, 18mm, 20mm, and I think 22mm hoses. I don't think they have everything.

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Wise decision. Especially because all that cloth braided stuff isn't appropriate any more for today's modern fuels. Wuerth for instance says in their spec sheets of their braided hose: "no more suitable for fuel systems".

DIN 73379-3E is the way to go. FPM/ECO hose.
    Former NBR/CR-hose is meanwhile outdated as well

Best from Germany
    Martin

Saabguy and oceanview328 like this.
  15. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    To keep my braided hoses looking black on my 328 I use black liquid shoe polish.

Alan
    N.J.

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I used to spray paint them black and they came looking like brand new.

oceanview328 likes this.
  17. mauriciocaste

mauriciocaste Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    I keep my engine neat and couldn't keep the braided hoses clean so I switched to rubber. Several advantages :
    Available everywhere, they are suitable for modern fuels, easy to keep them clean and you can visually inspect them for cracks and leaks. Besides, they also match the black rubber water hoses and coil/distributor covers for a more uniform look. Just my 2 cents.

oceanview328 and thorn like this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You'd be surprised how effective a thick black sharpie can be. :)

19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I use steel braided hoses for the air , oil , coolant lines and whatever else I can use them on. I love the way they look.

Thank you

oceanview328 likes this.
  20. tx2000252

tx2000252 Rookie

Jul 26, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bryn Kahrl
  21. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Change them.

Buy Viton hose in bulk from someone like JEGS and change them. Don't paint them. Don't shoe polish them. Change them before they rupture and light your engine on fire.

22. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

If you live in a city that has a Ferrari Dealer, you can buy the braided hose at the parts counter. They have rolls of it.

miketuason likes this.
  23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    A diluted solution of SimpleGreen is effective in removing the grime. Heck, even parts store brake-kleen works. As to age and condition - obviously, old hoses should be replaced.

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If not, go to the next city. :D

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Go to any hydraulic hose and fitting shop in your city..they will have or can get any hose and fitting you desire. I'm quite sure these shops are where Ferrari sourced half thier stuff in the past anyway.

So cheap they may not even charge you if they have random cut offs lying around.