Should you buy a Ferrari without test driving it first? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Should you buy a Ferrari without test driving it first?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Jan 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You couldn't get me near Barrett J if you held a gun to my head.
    That place oozes tackyness and shady deals like nothing else. Wouldn't buy a cup of coffee from that place.
    The mere thought of them makes my skin crawl.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631 and 96redLT4 like this.
  2. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    sort of backs up my view,, i felt they treated that seller unfairly , and its part show part auction,,, entertainment

96redLT4 likes this.
  3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I did.
    1st one a 365 I had a mate look at it...bought.
    Second one,a 330,I flew down to Brisbane and checked it out,flew to Sydney later that day to look at a 365,bought the 330.
    3rd a 308 bought from pics.

Happy with all 3.

96redLT4 likes this.
  4. mercedesc63

mercedesc63 Rookie

Dec 15, 2020
    I got to thankfully test drive my first ferrari from a private party but the dealer who I bought my second ferrari wouldn't allow me.
    Get a PPI folks when in doubt, I am experiencing some issues with the F1 system on my second car, but I should have it fixed here shortly.

96redLT4 and alex like this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Bought my 3 without one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96redLT4 likes this.
  6. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I always like to see the car and test drive it. Pictures can be very deceiving. I found a major hydraulic suspension issue when I test drove a pristine 550 SL just before writing the check. It would only surface during hard acceleration.

I like PPIs as a negotiation tool. Many times minor leaks are identified with eye watering prices to repair in a Ferrari shop. I always take the price reduction vs having it repaired before the sale.

alex and 96redLT4 like this.
  7. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  8. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I bought three Ferraris in my life.

328 GTS- It had 900 miles on it at the time. The owner took me for a short ride. When I picked it up it was my first time driving a Ferrari ever. No PPI.

Daytona- 20,000 miles on it, from original owner. I did not test drive it, but I did have it PPI'ed. First time I dirve it was just before Patrick Ottis was done with the major service. The car had no front hood on it. He drove first on 80 towards Richmond, then we changed. I will never forget him saying how do you like a V-12, nothing like your 328?

550- had about 3000 miles, I think. No test drive, no PPI, never even saw it until it was delivered. Bought from F-Chatter and I felt very comfortable with him. Sent my Uncle to look at it in L.A. who knows absolutely nothing about cars, just to see if he thought it looked nice.

Nobody test drove any of them when I sold them.

96redLT4 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  9. Ten Four

Ten Four Rookie

Apr 25, 2020
    Perth, Western Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    Bought my first Ferrari (348) sight unseen no inspection from a different state.
    Literally just called, got some photos, a video and bank transferred the purchase price.
    Not a Ferrari dealer but a seller of “nice cars”.
    I expected it to have a few niggles, 30 years old and all.
    Extremely happy and no regrets. Probably had $1.5k spend in sorting it to date.
    Would do again, might find it harder if it was a private seller (just due to potential scam nature).

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i just bought an f12 without a test drive...never driven one in my life. only saw one twice in person i believe.

ryalex likes this.
  11. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Didn't you have a mechanical issue with one of your recent cars? If so, would it have been discovered by a test drive and/or PPI?

12. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    Bought my FF without ever having driven a Ferrari let alone this specific car. I must admit to not fully trusting the dealer. Leap of faith although I did have an independent PPI done and was told the vehicle was clean. I also trusted all the glowing reviews about how the FF drives. Ideally I would have liked to drive the car prior to purchase but this wasn't really viable. So far I've been ecstatic with my F-car.

alex, Nospinzone and 96redLT4 like this.
  13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Photos from the dealer?

14. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I bought my 458 spider aprox 1.5 years ago from the same dealership that you are considering, Continental AutoSports. the car was certified and I purchased a 2 year power warrantee so it was inspected before I purchased it. I did have the dealer in Seattle look it over while it was in their shop for a little repair. They gave it a clean bill of health with no surprises.
    I would advise a quick flight out to Chicago, if you can, to see the car in person if your schedule will allow. Nothing better to see the car in person and make a relationship with Continental. I did and I still get treated like family as well as get invited back for their events.
    Good luck in finding your toy,
    Gene Greer

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive bought most of the 80 cars ive owned without seeing/driving them. including the 40

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yes tons of pictures. dealer also did a walk around/start up vid for me. got maintenance records (which included recent service). clean car fax, only two owners, etc. could not get PPI because closest ferrari dealer was 3 hours away. had a fellow member here go and test drive it for me. figured that was close enough.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    picturing it in my head, it looks great! :D

18. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yeah we'll see if i made the right call when it shows up

19. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I wouldn't even by an old dirt bike without test riding it.....let alone 5 or 6 figure Ferrari

alex likes this.
  20. ThunderRolls

ThunderRolls Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2010
    Deep South
    Bought one from Scottsdale Ferrari without driving it

21. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    Depends on the circumstance... I bought my first Ferrari without ever seeing in person. I talked with the owner many times - (he bought it new in 03), he gave me the contact of his (respectable) Indy shop that had been maintaining it for a very long time along with his other F cars. sometimes you just know after talking to someone if they cared for the vehicle or not, and I knew this guy took exceptional care by the way he talked about it and his many other cars. I did have a PPI done and all was good. The car was even better than I imagined it would be, and I am still in contact with the seller from time to time. He was happy to have it go to the next "caretaker". Also bought a 6spd Aston once sight unseen... did a PPI and all was good. I had zero issues with that car and it was impeccable- I do think I got lucky on that one... won't do that again from a dealer, but I had timing issues with going to see it and 6spd was hard to come by, so I took a chance. So far 2 for 2 on sight unseen purchases, but I don't think I will chance it again.

96redLT4 likes this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Actually:
    1-Testarossa -PPI, never driven it. No issue but CATs were missing. Dealer fixed it.
    2-355-PPi, no issue yet
    3-FF, took 2 year warranty no issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96redLT4 likes this.
  23. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Sometimes you cant pick what should be a good car and turns out mechanically not what you thought it would be.
    Bought such a car from a guy who had around 90 plus cars in the one garage I saw, plus many more elsewhere.
    Had his own mechanic who look after them all and a manager to run the place.
    Value wise many many millions of dollars.
    I guessed there would be some issues with the car but the price was good and the plan was to restore it anyway.
    So all worked out ok in the long run.

24. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bought my car with no test drive. Showed up to the dealer right in the middle of a South FL torrential downpour. Streets were starting to flood. Dealer showed me the car under garage cover, started the car so it could idle and reviewed exterior and interior in 5 mins. Took delivery a few weeks later with no issues.

25. D-Gunz

D-Gunz Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    David W.
    i'm in the same dilemma! its hard when there are only 8 cars for sale in the entire USA all out of state!!! .... I'm going to buy sight unseen (with a PPI) but then test drive once I get to the dealership. I can still "cancel" the check from my credit union if cars fails test drive!

alex likes this.