Slightly silly FF cruise control question | FerrariChat

Slightly silly FF cruise control question

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by IDriveM5, Feb 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Is there any way to disengage cruise control other than changing gears or touching the brake pedal?
    Looking for a “cancel” feature.
    How about “resume?”

Thanks!

2. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    If it's the same as on my 812SF, when I want to disengage without tapping the brake pedal or paddles, I turn it off and back on again, though this does clear the set speed.

For resuming a set speed (after braking or changing gears), I push in the speed adjust knob.

3. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Thank you, will try that. I feel like the push & hold process for turning cruise off takes a bit longer than I would like, whereas a brake pedal tap is instantaneous.

Isn’t it kind of funny that, for advanced as Ferrari is in engine and chassis design, among other things, their cruise control system is a bit of an ergonomic nightmare and sort of rudimentary in its functionality? And don’t get me started on the extra cost...

Then again, I should just be happy that Ferrari has even given me the option of this amenity.

vraa likes this.
  4. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    I definitely get the feeling that even in the "grand touring" cars, the focus is really on performance driving, and not on day-to-day conveniences. Cruise Control's relative clumsiness reflects that.

On my 812, turning CC on and off is easy - a quick tap of that particular button does it. Setting a speed is a little clumsy, with the twist and hold of the knob or a moment or two, but it could be worse. And, as I mentioned, pressing the knob to resume speed isn't terrible either. It would be nice if the set/resume/adjust control was on the steering wheel, but I get that it's already pretty crowded there.

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have CC on both my 612 and FF, but I couldn't tell you how either works. I tested both when I bought the cars, but rarely used it since. I used it on the 612 when we drove from Boston to Scottsdale, but even on those remote mid-west interstates there was too much traffic to use it regularly. Unless you have radar CC as I have on my Lexus LS and my wife's Panamera, it is just not worth all the continual adjusting of the regular CC.

SecretSquirrari likes this.
  6. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Yeah, radar cruise control is a game changer. My previous car was my first car with it, and it was fantastic. That said, as annoying as it is going back to old school CC, I still find that I use it quite a bit, in part because it's a good way to keep speed from getting away from me in cars like these, where it's so easy to achieve jail-time-worthy velocities.

Nospinzone and vraa like this.
  7. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I have intelligent cruise on my DD and it’s fantastic, except that the gap it permits to the car in front means that people always cut in.
    I don’t mind the fact that the FF has a “simple” cruise control, I am glad that it’s there. When I used to drive my previous 360 over long highway distances (i.e. basically anything over 40 miles), it could be a bit fatiguing because of always having to check my speed and pedal position.

SecretSquirrari likes this.