430 - 430 Exhaust OEM valves not opening | FerrariChat

430 430 Exhaust OEM valves not opening

Discussion in '360/430' started by Paul Kane, Feb 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    Had the car on C Tec charger.
    Full power, started first push.
    Sun out so had to go for a trip, still cold wind though. Car stored in garage for 4 months.
    Get onto the motorway, booted it and no roar after 3000 revs. It was fine before being garaged.

I presume my OEM exhaust valves are not opening.
    When exhaust had cooled down I found the 2 valves were free by pushing the rod in and out, they were squeaky but free.

Any pointers to my problem?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Follow the 2 rubber hoses on the valves , i think they go to a solenoid

3. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Check for vacuum on the hoses

Sent from my Galaxy

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you look on eurospares web site i think it shows the setup on the parts list, including the solenoid arrangement

5. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at the diagram there are 2 solenoid valves which get a signal to open the exh valves from the ecu. If neither of the exh valves are opening, then you have either lost the electric signal or you have no vaccum in the tank. It shows another solenoid valve between the engine and the vac tank so this might not be working, gives no vac and hence valves dont work. Take the pipe off and see if it sucks when engine running. You either have no vac or no electric signal. Might be a leaking pipe seal ring

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F430 exhaust bypass valves are fail open. If they are not opening, you have vacuum all the time to keep them closed.

8. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    On of the solenoids might have went bad

9. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    After playing around with the valves and solenoids with a fettle, poke and prod all is working again.
    Thanks all for your guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Same problem. Took my girlfriend out for a ride and everything was running good. 2 days later I took a ride and the exhaust valves are no opening....The vac lines going to the solonoids look fine. Any ideas where to look next is appreciated Thanks

11. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm confused, are we talking about your girlfriend or your car? :D

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Are you getting a vacuum in the hoses ?

13. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I was under the impression that if the valves are closed all the time which mine are because they aren't opening, that means there is vacuum on them. Does that sound correct?

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you are not getting the vac on either, then look at the on/ off valve as that is a master valve to the vac tank

15. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I'm going to go start it right now and check the vacuum going to the valves

16. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I took both vacuum lines off and plugged them. Started the car went to the back and unplugged one at a time and yes. confirmed vacuum going to each bypass valve

17. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can you test the vacuum above 4K rpm or under heavy load to see if the vacuum is being interrupted? You'd probably have to attach a hose to the solenoid and route it into the cabin with a vacuum gauge on it. Then drive it around to see if the vacuum is getting interrupted.

Maybe try replacing the solenoids, they're pretty cheap on Amazon (although suspicious that BOTH solenoids would fail at the same time). My guess would be whatever signal tells the solenoids to close (prevent vacuum) isn't getting to the solenoids.

18. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

well Mike32 brings up the fact that there's is a on/ off master valve to the vacuum tank. I'm trying to find it now

19. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    This is going to be a weird one... but I saw it on my Gransport as well as another FChatters 360. Check for pending codes -> specifically a coolant temp sensor one. Whenever this code was pending, the valves would stay closed.

Qavion likes this.
  20. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

21. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sammy thanks, i will check for any code rite now

22. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I assume when you plugged the lines to check vacuum, the valves did open? If not, they're probably jammed up enough to work only under the right heat/vibration.

I think (emphasis on think) the job of the "master" solenoid valve is to maintain negative pressure in the tank. That doesn't seem to be your problem... That solenoid is part #315769 in the pneumatic actuator system diagram if you need help locating it.

FWIW, my valves failed OPEN because the plastic connectors in the tubing downstream of the solenoids got sucked into the solenoids as well as clogged the tubing. That prevented vacuum from reaching the valves. I replaced the solenoids and tubing and fixed the issue. Opposite problem of yours, just a data point...

23. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

yes when i plugged lines to check vacuum, the valves opened...

24. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I had the same problem on my 360 this summer. Actually the valve opening has been fairly sporadic since I've owned the car but they finally stopped opening. I assumed the solenoid was the problem and replaced it. After that the problem was solved.

25. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

No codes but thanks for coming in Sammy. Never hurts to check