Why's the name for puffier flat cap? | FerrariChat

Why's the name for puffier flat cap?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by bitzman, Feb 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    At first I thought all those 1930's British style hats with only a brim up front were called flat caps (or poor boy hats. )But after watching TV show called Peaky Blinders, i decided there must be two types, the puffy almost shapeless kind and the one where the top is deigned to lay flat, those more for gentlemen. Anybody know what the puffier ones are called and which one is right for a sports car driver?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    tomc likes this.
  3. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
  4. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
  5. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    Do you mean a Baker Boy cap as we call them in the UK?

They are usually an 8 panel cap oversize compared to the traditional 'flat cap'. A flat cap is the more traditional driving option of the two.

Baker Boy as modelled here by old Goldenballs himself...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  6. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark

Cillian Murphy wears it a helluva lot better. Probably because unlike sir fast-fashion he doesn't treat it like a baseball cap....

Camp Freddie likes this.
  7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    That Baker Boy worn by Goldenballs (there must be a story behind that name) looks horrible and working class class compared to the flatter ones. I think the true sports car driver/ gentleman wears a flatter cap. Any more names for them? We have to decide what's the current name because, being a tad over 76 , I keep committing the sin of using words that haven't been used in the King's English for 50 years....

8. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The bakerboy IS a more "working class" hat. Newsboy and bakerboy hats (similar but with a slight "puff" to the bakerboy) are named because of those who wore them in Edwardian England originally. Both SHOULD have a much flatter brim than the dingleberry above is wearing.

Flat caps are likely the "gentleman driver" style most would assocuate with "driving cap".

Camp Freddie likes this.
  9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
  10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Boy I'd hate to be called a Dingleberry..them's fightin' words. I think the guy in the shorts looks kinda silly...I saw two tone shoes like that in a thrift shop, passed them up for $18 and now realize I missed a classic design. One thing I always wondered about is when you see '30s photos on the street in America you see flat or puffer caps but then you see '40s photos there is
    almost a complete changeover to fedoras. Now you don't see many fedoras, as least out west

11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  12. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    In this case, I believe the hat is known as a tam-o-shanter.

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I thought a Tam was like a beret with a ball on the top.

Camp Freddie likes this.
  14. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I’m totally willing to defer to you on this one, but I thought the golfing ones didn’t have the ball, and were known as “tams” for short. Likewise, I thought the glengarry and balmoral hats have the ball or other tassels because of their military connection. I’m going off of memory of the Payne Stewart line of hats that were advertised as tam-o-shanters. Fully willing to yield to those better informed/did research.

15. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

JAM1, Camp Freddie and JP365 like this.
  16. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Those guys put millenials to shame!
    ...that's not a reinactment of the "battle of the overpass" is it?