777 engine failure KDEN UA328 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

777 engine failure KDEN UA328

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ersatzS2, Feb 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Looks like last month a 767 also had problems and maybe a P&W engine too. Edit: NVM they were GE. N363CM tail#.

Isn't etops a real test done before certificate so therefore it would be an intact engine that can windmill? Not sure how they would test etops with an uncontained engine failure. Now I don't know how much of a difference it makes but it doesn't help that's for sure.

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    YES, thats why an uncontained engine failure can be a real problem. You may not have the fuel to make it to an alternate, due to the much higher drag not taken into consideration under ETOPS.

Boomhauer and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I love forward thinking efficiency minded solutions at times like this. "Oh we never considered that ..."

Four engines over long water flights please.

I guess 747 cargo planes are your only option now ... LOL

4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thats the FAA minimum requirement, each airline decides how to dispatch the flight that meets or exceeds those requirements. 747s have been long gone, 787 & 777-300 with GE engines are doing most of the cargo hauling.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Boeing is still building new 747-8Fs. UPS took delivery of 4 of them last year.

F2003-GA likes this.
  6. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’m talking UAL specifically...

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not following you as this plane and those only have two.

8. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    UAL retired all of it’s 747s. All the ETOPS flights are done with 787s & 777s, I’ve never seen a flight dispatched to the FAA minimums. However ETOPS fuel calculations only accounts for an intact engine failure, with that associated drag index. I don’t think any US passenger carrier is still flying 747s, I could be wrong though...

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Alot of 777-200's cargo hauling for UAL also. They pulled them out of storage after sitting 4 -6 months. Not sure if the aircraft that lost an engine was in storage or not, but it probably was.

On the cargo 747-s, I think on one day there were over 200 in the air at one time a few months ago. Meanwhile 2 or 3 A380's were being used by Emirates on the Dubai to London and back. What a big waste of money the A380 was.

As far as statistics go the 777 is the safest widebody aircraft on earth ever. Only Malaysian airlines seems to have problem with them(one shot down and one probably suicide crashed into the Indian Ocean).

10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Only thing wrong with the 777 is the stupid yoke, should have went with the side stick! The only other loss of a 777 are the Asiana fools landing at SFO, watching the throttles at idle and not taking any action...

Cirorsi likes this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yoke has some advantages in that you can always see what the other pilot is doing. Not so on an Airbus, which helped put the one in the drink off Brazil.

Ak Jim and tritone like this.
  12. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Like most mishaps, many contributing factors in that one...

Good CRM and pushing rather that pulling to recover from a stall would have really helped! Technique only...

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When we were working on the 777 configuration and had design meetings with airline reps present, their requests were almost totally in favor of the yoke. And I recall hearing the comment many times, " I want to see what the other guy is doing with the controls!"

Ak Jim likes this.
  14. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yup, sad but true. The old school cAPTAINS in charge at the time killed the side stick idea, a fly by wire jet should have a side stick in my view.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fly by wire really has nothing to do with the choice of side stick or yoke. Either is perfectly capable of passing digital inputs to the flight controls.

16. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    What you hinted at is the Air France crash off the coast of Brazil... an unbelievable story of the pilots, unknowingly, working against each other until the co-pilot I believe (pic) stalled an Airbus 330 into the Atlantic... I vote for Yoke controls.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    To the contrary, the meetings did have some older "captains" but for the most part they were current air crew, young and old, that were concerned about flight deck communication and coordination. I believe that "old captains" are old because of their performance disciplines and cockpit disciplines. I have flown with a few, like Ernie Gann, Jack Leffler, and Lew Wallick and they were all the same . They left nothing to bad chances and demanded cockpit obedience while airborne.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots."

megamarco9 likes this.
  19. Kuba

Kuba Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
  20. Nate2046

Nate2046 Rookie

Oct 15, 2006
  21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, DOD, in all its wisdom, cancelled its F-35 alternative engine program. This despite the fact the competition between P&W and GE for F-16 and F-15E engines led to performance increases by both companies and lowered costs to the AF.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think they should have required the British government to foot part of the bill for the second engine, since it was by Rolls-Royce.

23. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Same DOD that decided they wanted me to be an Army cook after I qualified Expert on the rifle range. Probably killed more friendlies with my cooking than I would have V.C.

Boomhauer and Bob Parks like this.
  24. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob

Good discussion & video...