Cats or Test pipes | FerrariChat

Cats or Test pipes

Discussion in '348/355' started by CCWillF355, Feb 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    My F355 already has Tubi style manifolds, test pipes, capristo bypass value and capristo back box. Car sounds great but it is very loud and the idle is too loud in my opinion.

thinking of switching out the test pipes for sport cats. Thoughts on this? Will in make the car much quieter or not. Any feedback or suggestions would be great thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Is you bypass valve working? With cats it will be quieter for sure. I have Tubi headers, 200 cell cats in OEM catalyst bodies, Capristo bypass and Capristo 2/3 exhaust and at idle it’s very quiet.

3. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    Value is working, can test as the capristo value works slightly differently. On start up it’s open till pressure closes it. Which is about a second. Some loud to quieter. But the idle is still a little too loud for my liking.

Which sport Cats do you have?

4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    They are recored OEM cats. I opened them up and welded in 200 cell metal cats. Looks factory and flows great without the smell and excessive noise.

5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Real issue is in the uk your car is in effect illegal having voided your MoT. Plus the hassle of swapping cats in every MoT. You
    Might have one of the few remaining friendly MoT stations but don’t count on that for long!

Ive put sports cats on both my 348 and 355. 355 has capristo valve and back box. You will hardly notice any difference in sound; and unless you are a F1/lemans winning driver nothing with regards to power.

Ive just put cheap ones on as from superformance on the 355. Had the main dealer fit them when they were doing a service and MoT. (For the price I couldn’t be bothered to do it myself).

tubi test pipes for sale if anybody wants them!

CCWillF355 likes this.
  7. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    Need to look into sport Cats etc. Know capristo do them, but they’re expensive! Made look into recoring.

8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I had test pipes on my old 355 and the smell isnt worth it. Basically needed to shower after every drive. Lol

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    2.7 or 5.2?

100 cell cats perhaps?

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i love the smell with test pipes on my 95!
    :)

CCWillF355 likes this.
  11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

What was the source for the 200 cell cats?

12. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    Agree noise and smell isn’t what a Ferrari should be like.

13. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    5.2, want max performance but reduced noise.

ShineKen likes this.
  14. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Exhaust fabricator sourced them. It’s a generic size you order to fit and they weld them in place. The diameter is matched to the body. It was much more economical than buying new cats.

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah I could split and reweld cats.

One of mine was falling apart on the 98 so I have a pair to do and I'd like to get the smell down from straight pipes as well.

16. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I've got a pair of factory cats as well gathering dust and would like to re-core them, but $2K from Fabspeed seems a bit steep. Haven't been able to find anyone to do it in the US. It's banned in CA naturally (classic eco-stupidity -- why would you want people having functioning cats?) and this seemed to put a damper on the practice.

17. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    the key is the Y-pipe. on either the 2.7 or 5.2. the stock pipe with the small cats inside holds back a lot of sound when bypass opens.

I've testes several configurations.. but never touched the oem ypipe..

I ran Fabspeed headers, test pipes, Nouvalari exhaust and stock ypipe. for 2 seasons. yes it sounded great..
    but could not take the smell anymore.

put the stock cats back in, but replaced the ypipe with Nouvalari decated pipe.

now in my opinion its a good balance. no more vomiting exhaust smell. still sounds very good at idle/cruising.
    and then screams very nice when bypass opens.. essentially becoming straight piped through the ypipe..

CCWillF355 and Flavio_C like this.