430 - better, brighter headlights ? | FerrariChat

430 better, brighter headlights ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by janmante, Feb 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    The stock HID are I believe 35 watt and I have had some discussions w/ some HID/ LED sellers who said it would be possible to upgrade to better lights by fitting 55 watt HID bulbs and 55 watt ignitors/ ballasts ?
    has anyone tried this ? ?
    it would be preferrable to do this I imagine w/the use of adaptors and plugs so cutting the stock wiring would not be required.
    would the stock wiring have sufficient capacity to provide the added amperage ? or would this require re-wring w/ heavier wires .
    Would the stock / std alternator have sufficient amperage to supply the needed power ?
    thx ! Jan
    PS would prefer HID NOT LED !

Ray Smith likes this.
  2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I, for one, would be very interested in what you come up with. I find the standard headlights on my 430 to be woefully inadequate. I envy those late model Benz autos with their brilliant white headlights. I also do not think there is an LED solution worth pursuing.

Ray

VAF84 and janmante like this.
  3. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    +1 would like to see something better

Was disappointed to see that all my other cars seem to have better illumination

The GLK lights are like lasers

janmante and Ray Smith like this.
  4. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    I just purchased a set of D1S OSRAM Night Breakers Laser xenon bulbs. Had them on my M5 too, wonderful light output.

They’re being installed by the dealer now, I’ll let you guys know how they turn out!

5. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

Yes, please do so. For $188 each they better be visible from the International Space Station. ;)

Enzo Sebastian likes this.
  6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Make that $188 per pair ...

Ray

janmante likes this.
  7. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    That's high, but I would pay it for top notch illumination

janmante and Ray Smith like this.
  8. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Same here.

janmante likes this.
  9. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante

OH sorry to be Debbie downer, NIght breakers , IME are largely just marketing hype sadly they claim they are "better focused," but the WATTAGE/ lumen is identical ! so they cannot be really brighter !
    We need more watts in the bulbs , and ballasts ( 55 would be an upgrade ) - i am hoping, as that IS doable ! in a DS1 bulb !

10. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    The laser sourced , selective dimming head lights as fitted to the Audi and BMW I believe are truly awesome and will light up to the horizon ! but difficult to see how they could be retrofitted !
    leave it to the genius german engineers to invent laser head lights that you can actually look at and not get eye damage !
    one solution I have considered is modifying side mirrors w/a removable front cover to use PAR 36 LED aircraft landing lights ! about 150,000 lumen EACH ! ,
    that would work ! ( $400 EACH ? LOL )
    or fit some QD, =Quick detach short LED /HID 100,000 lumen light bars (2) shielded, INSIDE the windshield ! near the top so as to not affect the aero !
    the higher you can place the lights the better they will function .
    photo Audi laser . selective dimming lights note how they can mask the lights SO precisely they do not dazzle the oncoming car ! AND can follow the road curves! Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    we have selected these HID bulbs and ballasts for our F430 headlight upgrade 5K color ( daylight ) 55 watt bulbs and ballasts , about 8K lumens ( twice + OEM ! )
    OEM is only 35 watt! supposedly plug and play , lifetime warranty ! 2 day delivery .
    can't wait !
    Let there be light !
    PS we have no connection to this company Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    well, I got TWICE the bright of OEM for $50 less than those "night breakers ! " a complete 55 watt HID kit !

13. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    def let us know how they look! are you installing them?

14. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Are you getting the antiflicker device and what color temp? I would like to put these in also on my 430 as I'm upgrading the DRL with ScudingSwiss equipment and would like to do it all at the same time. The vehicle finder doesn't show anything for the 430. is the D1S bulb sufficient to fit without any modifications etc.? Thank you

janmante likes this.
  15. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    We will find out how well it works and easy this conversion is
    Yes not sure it is needed but did get the anti-flicker device.
    I got the daylight 5K color Yes we do almost all our own work so we will be installing them !
    I still need to check how much more power/ amps the 55 Watt will draw in case I need to run heavy gauge wires direct fr the battery or a main electrical connection point and/or use HD relays ( I usually do on most cars ) that way, the stress on the stock wiring is minimal the stock wiring just triggers the relays and now we can obtain solid-state relays, ( Like scud swiss uses in his superlative products ) uber reliable.
    Too bad he does not offer better / brighter high and low beam headlights I suppose it is a legality issue ?

16. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nothing of note in this post, just getting subbed so I can be an information sponge. :)

17. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    LOL you don't think headlights twice as bright as stock is significant? you are hard to impress!
    are you Ed Asner ?

Ed Asner - Wikipedia
    en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Ed_Asner

He appeared in the mid- to late-2000s decade in a recurring segment on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, entitled "Does This Impress Ed Asner?"

18. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think you're confusing "post" (one single message, as in the message I *POSTED* being the POST I'm talking about nothing of note being contained therein) and "thread" (this entire sequence of posts constitutes a thread).

I'm well aware of Ed Asner I'm not 17 years old thanks.

Maybe one less cappuccino in the morning?

19. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I agree with this that if he did it would be superlative. Will suggest that to Stef.
    I would think the stock wiring would be sufficient as the ballast kicks up the voltage to light off the HID xenon bulb and like LEDs, they don't draw that much current after ignition. I believe stock 430 headlights are HID's and have a ballast somewhere in the circuitry. Hopefully you remove the old 35W ballast/lamp assy. and wire directly the new one and its respective lamp one per side.
    Please keep us updated on your progress in the thread. I'm very interested. Thanks. I'm going to delay the Scud Swiss install up front until I learn of your experiences and order this kit.

janmante likes this.
  20. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    yes i know someone that suggested it to him his response was not encouraging ! surprising !
    Yes, these lights are HID & do come w/ 2 new 55-watt ballasts! AND 2 55 watt bulbs!

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I used to be in the lighting business, selling surgical lights used in operating theaters. An FYI about color temperature....higher is not always better. Ideal is around 3500k, maybe 4000k, same as halogen, and usually has the highest color rendering index. As you go up, what the industry claims is "daylight", like 5000k and higher is actually perceived as very blue, with a lower CRI. It actually decreases lumens, detail and perceived brightness. Avoid very high color temperatures if possible. No higher than 5000k if possible, and lower is better. Also, I would be very careful about using higher wattage bulbs without testing. I have done this in cars with halogen bulbs, and even though I used better wiring and relays, the bulb holders and reflectors can get damaged from not being able to dissipate the additional heat. That could be an expensive proposition on a Ferrari headlight.

Also, in almost all cases, higher wattage bulbs, have a lower useful number of hours.

Flea7, VAF84, janmante and 1 other person like this.
  22. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    #22 janmante, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Yes thank you we are aware of some of your points.
    We selected 5K as it is close to daylight, sunshine which is the optimum color for human perception , vision the color I am advised will be changed slightly downward by the 55 watt HID bulbs, because of some effect ? do you know the name ? so if true may end up being ideal

I am aware that higher K colors are ill advised and that a whiter light is not brighter
    we can always experiment w/ the next lower K and IF better we will use them and say so .

we have extensive experience using high-watt halogen bulbs like 100/160 watt h-4 Rallye bulbs, 3X stock watts and yes indeed they DO get mighty hot ! Yes we used overkill heavy gauge wiring and 70 amp relays ! direct to the battery , ceramic wiring plugs too, removing the typical bulb gurds in front of the bulbs helped immensely as they just focused the heat backward ! and restricted light out put and their removal made zero difference to glare for oncoming cars ! ( here is a photo of a removed bulb guard in a H-4 system ! )
    The HID do not draw anywhere near so many amps I am advised . Nor get as hot ?

these are HID and I am advised it should not be too hot it is only 20 watts more than OEM and we are doing an experiment !
    We will measure first before installing them in the housings and compare it would be a free air measurement but somewhat indicative, once installed we will measure too w/a laser thermometer from the outside so we will have some data to share and we will do only one side first so if it melts things it will only mean buying ONE headlight !
    it's worth the risk IMHO as the F430 OEM headlights are Patheticly DIM !
    to the point of dangerous at high speed @ night
    we are willing to pay for shorter life I was told perhaps up to 50% less life Thats perfectly acceptable to me

23. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    #23 janmante, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    found this after the time limit for editing had expired ! ( why is there a time limit ? )
    Google searches say :

"5600k. Moving up the Kelvin scale, we reach our second primary color temperature, 5600k. This is regarded as the default daylight color temperature of a high midday sun with no cloud cover.Sep 16, 2019 "
    "

HID Color Chart: Comprehensive Headlight Color Guide
    bestheadlightbulbs.com › hid-color-chart

Crystal White Light (6000K) 5000-6000K is the best range in the color temperature spectrum the human eyes were made to detect such and the best HID color for night driving. "

The higher the “K” (kelvin) number of the color temperature, the DARKER the light will be. Most manufacturers typically use 3400k-4300k bulbs for their OEM HID systems. The best HID color temperature is 4800k, as this temperature has the highest lumen output and is the closest to daylight." Image Unavailable, Please Login

The brightest HID color temperature is 5000K, emitting perfectly white light. 4300K and 6000K will be just as bright but will have a very light tint of yellow (4300K) or blue (6000K).

Most people shopping for HIDs believe that a higher bulb temperature will yield a brighter light but this is in fact not true. As the bulb color temperature increases to reach blue and purple levels, the light output will be inferior to regular halogen lights.

HIDs generate light through xenon gas when powered. The light output (brightness) of HIDs is therefore proportional to the amount of power that is supplied. So, the higher the power the brighter the light emitted from the bulbs will be.

The power, measured in watts (W), is provided by the HID ballasts, which is the power supply. Our HID headlight and fog light conversion kits come with two HID wattage options 35W and 55W.

For maximum brightness and the ultimate nighttime driving experience, we recommend going with our 55W HID kit in white, which produces an exceptionally powerful, dense, and wide bright white light without risking any damage to your vehicle, headlight or electrical systems. ( this is what the maker of my kit says ! )

24. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Would heat not be an issue possibly causing damage to the light housing and cover?

f355spider likes this.
  25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I've heard that as well since the housings are plastic and if not designed for higher wattage and heat dissipation...