812 VS Rumors | Page 194 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Same here, very straight forward. I received the video by email and by My Ferrari. Received a call from my dealer the next day and received a contract. I was told the car would be revealed in April and a decision and payment was needed by last Friday. I signed the contract and sent in my deposit.

Just my opinion, but I believe all potential buyers have been contacted and told to send in their deposits and sign a purchase agreement. I guess any buyer who declined had their slot filled immediately by the back up buyers on the list almost immediately. Seemed like a very efficient process because the list had been vetted in November with the dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    That's not how it works. You (and probably 20 other customers of your dealership) are already qualified to get the car. Your dealer is just leveraging the limited supply to get you to buy another car. You can chose to play or not. But you're going to come out ahead if you play along so why not?

Ltfor3, Xrayv8 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  3. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    same

JagShergill likes this.
  4. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I would say it will not carry the GTO moniker for one simple reason, there is no racing car or XX car on which the 812 VS is going to be based.
    The 599 GTO was based on the 599XX and yes Ferrari definitely took artistic liberties in invoking the name but at least there was some logic to it.
    My guess is the next GTO will probably be the LeMans race-car derived Hypercar.

5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    True but the next Le Mans derived hypercar logically should have the LM prefix in it.

6. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    This is 100% your dealer; not Ferrari.
    Ferrari has a allocation list but dealer has final word in who gets this car.

ilcapodizurigo likes this.
  7. Maximus1977

Feb 13, 2016
    I am 100% getting this car, but did not receive any deposit invoice or invoice. That's up to your dealer.

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I do think it is less likely they will use GTO, but since we’re all waiting...waiting... :) here’s a cute theory;

There has not been a replacement to the 599xx - there was no F12xx. The Fxx came after the 599xx and then the Fxxk, all based on the hyper car series. Since there is a new hyper car coming, which will almost certainly spawn a new Fxxk, maybe the ‘last’ n/a VS celebration will be used as a basis for a 599xx replacement. Once we are through the harshest effects of COVID there could well be an increased appetite for these programmes, perhaps a cheaper version of the Fxxk programme in addition to the new Fxxk programme. It adds business and should certainly grow the VIP base and please the shareholders. That being the case, the 812 ‘GTO’ could be used to introduce technical pieces that go into the 812xx. Not strictly homologation for a race series but then both the 288 and 599 GTO’s weren’t really about racing either.

As I said, I also don’t really think that GTO will be used so I’m flying a bit of a kite. It’s the sort of thing I might do if I was running Ferrari and wanted a win, win, win sort of project though.

There’s no certainty that this will be the last n/a V12 VS, but if it is, what a way to sign off?

ilcapodizurigo, Caeruleus11 and [gTr] like this.
  9. Zemoloera

Zemoloera Rookie

Aug 4, 2013
    Same.

10. Maximus1977

Feb 13, 2016
    They will definitely keep the V12 for at least another Halo Car or Icona car.
    Ferrari = V12 = Ferrari
    Regardless of how great previous and new V8's NA/or Turbocharged have been.
    A V12 still is and has always been the holy grail of motoring.

Solid State, 444sp, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  11. WLF046

WLF046 Rookie

Jan 7, 2017
    Me too. Dealers don't even known what the MSRP will be. I guess every dealer applies its own policies.

12. Zemoloera

Zemoloera Rookie

Aug 4, 2013
    Clearly not the intended purpose of that video. If I were in your position I would give serious thought to reporting your dealer. The video was intended as a notification mechanism for TT and VIP customers. If you believe yourself to be a qualified customer in good standing, I would show evidence that the video was sent to you and explain the tactic being used. Make them put pressure on the dealer to sell you the car...then find a new dealer.

13. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Exact same with me

14. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    As far as I’m aware ( at least here in the UK), order forms were signed , returned and deposits paid last week.
    Imho if any allocation was turned down , then just a 30 Sec Phonecall would fill that spot again ...
    I know of at least 3 people ( Not at my dealership ) who I would have been Certain would be allocated but weren’t ....

Gianfranco341 and of2worlds like this.
  15. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.........

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

wrs, junc and Napoli like this.
  16. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    I hope the new LMH for Le Mans 2023 has a V12 !!!

Caeruleus11 and red passion like this.
  17. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Too many fuel stops. lol

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  18. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Zero chance of that unfortunately

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  19. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    "288 GTO" is a misnomer in that even though that's what it's colloquially called, Ferrari's name for the car is just "GTO".

See the attached pictures.

The Automobile Club D'Italia homologation paperwork for the car has "GTO" for the car's model.

The owner's manual calls it the "Ferrari GTO".

If you own a (288) GTO, it appears in My Ferrari as "GTO".

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

350MH83, Lukeylikey, 456-boy and 6 others like this.
  20. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Wow... just when you thought you knew a thing or two about Ferraris... unexpected discovery for me. So what's the story on the '288'? It must have been semi-officially mentioned at some point at least...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    The sequence was FXX (2005) -> FXX EVO -> 599XX (2010) -> 599XX EVO -> FXX-K (2014) -> FXX-K EVO

The 599XX is a "lesser" car than the FXX / FXX-K in the sense that it has somewhat less performance and it's quite a bit less expensive. However, it runs in the same Corse Clienti events and sessions as all the other XX cars. It's only the Formula 1 cars that get their own dedicated sessions (for obvious reasons) but still during the same events.

If there is an XX car based on the 812 platform, it will almost certainly continue this format.

Ferrari is, in fact, already expanding the customer racing programs by making them more accessible both in terms of cost and volume: to wit, the Club Competizioni GT Programme and the 488 GT Modificata track car.

Lukeylikey and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    +1

23. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Well, it's an interesting story that I'm not old enough to know first hand, but that can be said for so many things.

There is, in fact, a physical labeling that says "288 GTO" on the actual car. It's on the VIN plate on top of the steering column. Ferrari was indeed planning to name the car "288 GTO" in line with their usual nomenclature. When the car was first shown at Geneva, Ferrari did use the "288" in its name. Somebody then pointed out that "288" is numerically smaller than the other less powerful, more pedestrian contemporary offerings in Ferrari's lineup. That did bother Ferrari enough that they dropped the "288" and went with "GTO" as the official name of the car.

Caeruleus11 and Garretto like this.
  24. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    I’d be curious to know if it has confirmed that production for the car will be numbered? Was that confirmed when contract was sent / signed?

Dubaicity likes this.
  25. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    You are right the V12 should consume more than a V6 TT, but LMH is a BOP category, therefore a more favorable BOP could be negotiated with the ACO.

Caeruleus11 likes this.